Looking at Crossovers with 3rd row seating

stevewin

I'm starting to look into Crossovers with 3rd row seating and interested if anyone has any experiences/opinions.

The Crossover would replace a minivan. Our other car is a 4WD SUV, so I'm not looking for something to pull a trailer or haul huge loads or go off road - mostly just looking for something smaller than a full blown van/SUV that drives more like a car but still has extra seating/decent cargo space if/as needed. Better mileage obviously a plus but isn't the most important thing. I'm looking at a price point ~30K - would probably have some upgrades from base model for some packages but wouldn't be looking to get full blown Touring model in any case.

These are some of the options with 3rd row seating:

Chevy Traverse - decent ratings, roomy, saw some questions on cheap interior and reliability, honestly wondering if buying GM at this time should be a concern?

Mazda CX-9 - good reviews, nice powerful engine, 'surprisingly spacious', nice look

GMC Acadia - this seems more like a large truck to me, bigger than I want/need

Ford Flex - sorry, can't get past this boxy look :rolleyes:

Honda Pilot - more of a small SUV

Toyota Highlander - more of a small SUV - read some things that 3rd row is tiny

Subaru Tribeca - don't want/need AWD, seems kind of pricey, not sure about Subaru brand...

Right now I'm thinking Traverse and CX-9 are my top choices. I'm probably leaning towards the Mazda - reliable brand, highly rated, lots of room, but not just a shrunk SUV - looks nice, drives like a car w/ a powerful engine for 'spirited driving'.

Currently leasing a CX-9. I also stepped down from a minivan but needed enough space to take my daughter (and all her stuff) to college and back and the CX-9 certainly fit the bill. I really have nothing bad to say about the car. I get a lot of compliments on the styling of the car and it is very comfortable to drive. The one knock is the gas mileage which is horrible, but exactly as advertised (15 city, 21 hwy). Combined with a smallish 16 gal tank (the van had a 25 gal tank), I find myself filling up more often than I'd like. I also test drove the Highlander and liked the CX-9 better for both drivability and looks. Hope this helps.

I'm starting to look into Crossovers with 3rd row seating and interested if anyone has any experiences/opinions.

The Crossover would replace a minivan. Our other car is a 4WD SUV, so I'm not looking for something to pull a trailer or haul huge loads or go off road - mostly just looking for something smaller than a full blown van/SUV that drives more like a car but still has extra seating/decent cargo space if/as needed. Better mileage obviously a plus but isn't the most important thing. I'm looking at a price point ~30K - would probably have some upgrades from base model for some packages but wouldn't be looking to get full blown Touring model in any case.

These are some of the options with 3rd row seating:

Chevy Traverse - decent ratings, roomy, saw some questions on cheap interior and reliability, honestly wondering if buying GM at this time should be a concern?

Mazda CX-9 - good reviews, nice powerful engine, 'surprisingly spacious', nice look

GMC Acadia - this seems more like a large truck to me, bigger than I want/need

Ford Flex - sorry, can't get past this boxy look :flirt:

Honda Pilot - more of a small SUV

Toyota Highlander - more of a small SUV - read some things that 3rd row is tiny

Subaru Tribeca - don't want/need AWD, seems kind of pricey, not sure about Subaru brand...

Right now I'm thinking Traverse and CX-9 are my top choices. I'm probably leaning towards the Mazda - reliable brand, highly rated, lots of room, but not just a shrunk SUV - looks nice, drives like a car w/ a powerful engine for 'spirited driving'.

I'm not buying dick from Government Motors ever again.

Ford makes some very nice vehicles now, but I agree, the Ford Flex is kind of unsightly.

Subaru has overtaken Toyota to be the #2 most reliable car maker according to consumer reports. My wife has an Outback and I gotta say that thing handles great. My coworkers at work have both the Highlander and the Tribeca. I'd say the Tribeca drives better but the Highlander has a better 3rd row (coworker has 4 kids, 15 years, 14 years, 12 years and 8 years old).

How about the Ford Taurus "X" ? (Formerly the Freestyle.)

I believe it offers third row seating.

It's discontinued, but my wife and I just bought a used one (she couldn't get past the boxy look of the Flex). The third row seating is really good as far as I can tell. It drives nicely and is very capable for something so large. I understand the Flex to be very similar, but more refined in the interior.

People I know who have a Flex love it. It's worth holding your nose and giving it a test drive. Its looks might grow on you.

Consider the Hyundai Veracruz. We bought one in July, and have been very pleased. Did a ton of research before we bought, and the Hyundai just seemed like the most car for the money. It has compared favorably to the Lexus 350. Hyundai is making very good vehicles now, and their safety and reliability ratings are right at the top of most rankings. Plus, you get a 5 yr/ 60,000 bumper to bumper and 10/100,000 on the power train. Very luxurious vehicle, with all the bell and whistles one could want.

As someone else mentioned, if the the third row is up, not much cargo room. But I will say the third row has more room than the third row in the Yukon i own.

As mentioned, we are very pleased, and I would highly recommend the Veracruz.

My buddy got the Traverse during the Cash for Clunkers deal and he loves it. I do honestly think it's nice but it looks twice as big as it actually is, has a tiny rear window, and the interior is very Chevy-like :censored: .

Consider the Hyundai Veracruz. We bought one in July, and have been very pleased. Did a ton of research before we bought, and the Hyundai just seemed like the most car for the money. It has compared favorably to the Lexus 350. Hyundai is making very good vehicles now, and their safety and reliability ratings are right at the top of most rankings. Plus, you get a 5 yr/ 60,000 bumper to bumper and 10/100,000 on the power train. Very luxurious vehicle, with all the bell and whistles one could want.

As someone else mentioned, if the the third row is up, not much cargo room. But I will say the third row has more room than the third row in the Yukon i own.

I've heard lots of good things about the Veracruz.

I'd have to second this. If you do proper research, you'll see that Hyundai's Sante Fe and Veracruz are rated very high. As a matter of fact, the Sante Fe was rated in the top three three years in a row in several mags. Can't beat the warranty or price. I got a Sante Fe Limited in 2007, and already have 77,000 miles on it. The car has been great. I also have almost every upgraded option that you can get in a Toyota or Honda at about $8,000 less. My wife then got a Tuscon in 2007 shortly after mine, and has also loved it. The Tuscon is small, but it has been great so far as well. Nothing wrong with either vehicle. Hers has 44,000.

If you need a bigger SUV, you'd most likely want the Veracruz, although it's basically around the same price as the Sante Fe. I would recommend the Sante Fe or Veracruz. Four people in my family now own one or the other, and it is, by far, the most car for the buck. They are now great buys because style has also caught up to their features.