Brad Butler and Eric Wood

billsfan89

OK Its no secret that this O-line has issues BUT if the Bills can get back Eric Wood and Brad Butler from injury does that solve some of the issues that this team has as far as the line goes? I know a lot of people were sold on Wood being a long term answer up until the injury but what about Brad Butler he looked good in the first few games until he got hurt.

Now the biggest concern with Butler is his health he always seems to get hurt for a few games a year. Are people sold on the idea of Butler coming back and being the starting RT from the get go? I wouldn't mind having Butler come back as the starter at RT because we have a guy like Jermon Meridith who can come in if Butler gets hurt.

Now if Wood and Butler come back are we just a LT short of having at least a decent offensive line? I think if we get a high enough pick to get a top tier LT then our O-line is pretty set especially considering if we bring back Cog and McKinney we would have solid backups at both guards and Bell and Meridith as good backups at both tackle spots.

Am I just dreaming that the Bills assuming Butler and Wood can come back the O-line would only be 1 piece a LT away from having a decent O-line. I mean Levitre and the Hang man will have both had a full 16 games of experience plus Wood getting 10 more games of experience as well as getting a top rookie LT and Butler back at RT is enough to improve the O-line.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now the biggest concern with Butler is his health he always seems to get hurt for a few games a year. Are people sold on the idea of Butler coming back and being the starting RT from the get go? I wouldn't mind having Butler come back as the starter at RT because we have a guy like Jermon Meridith who can come in if Butler gets hurt.

I think Butler's injury rep is overblown. This was the first time he was lost for the season, and that was because his knees were rolled up on from behind. Last year, he missed three games (BTW, we lost all three) and in 2007, he started all 16.

I think Butler's injury rep is overblown. This was the first time he was lost for the season, and that was because his knees were rolled up on from behind. Last year, he missed three games (BTW, we lost all three) and in 2007, he started all 16.

At best, Butler should be a swingman ala Whittle on a good OL. He hasn't proven he can stay healthy or contribute in a starting role IMHO.

Aaaand this is what makes TSW infuriating at times. Four whole minutes apart.

Butler while not missing a ton of games (Played all of 2007 and only missed 3 in 2008) always seems to be hurt even though he plays through it. I think that Butler always seems to be banged up even though as you pointed out he plays through it.

I love the ridiculous self-importance of your post. I've read your posts; perhaps you ought not to throw stones.

In any event, he does have an injury issue. In three years, he's missed 19 games.

Self-importance? :blink:

The guy who posted immediately before you pointed out that he started all 16 games in 2007, then missed three games in 2008.

I'm not sure where you're getting 19 games, from. He was injured week 2, meaning he played in 1.5 games of the 16 games we've played so far this year, so he's missed 17.5 games in his career.

He only played in two games his rookie year, so YTD, he's had one injury prior to getting rolled up. So, that's 2 games his rookie year, 16 games the following, 13 of 16 last year, and 1.5 before going down for an injury this. Therefore, prior to his freak season ending injury, he played in 31 of the 34 games he was eligible for. That doesn't sound like "injury prone" to me. Let's not be so quick to slap on the label just because he was lost early in the season for the rest of the year.

As for my self-importance, so sorry I pointed out your glossing of the facts less than 5 minutes after someone attempted to table said facts glossing by actually providing some! :censored:

Has there been any update on Wood? I know its a long process but an update would be nice.

Chris Brown posted that as of last week, he was still in a wheelchair. Not good.

People here are giving Butler too much credit. No way you pencil him in as the starter. He needs to compete for a job. People saying the fact we lost the three games he missed last year as proof he is a good or above average player is a joke. He is injury prone.

The fact that the line went downhill after he went out proves nothing. Even Bell looked okay v. NE (despite all the penalties) then went downhill fast. Hangartner is average (but better than Preston and Fowler).

I wish they stuck with Levitre at LT, he seemed to do pretty good the one game he played there. How can anyone say McKinney is solid he played in one game and got hurt twice! He is a Whittle clone. Chambers is trash this year.

Butler needs to compete at RT with a mid-level FA or draft pick. Best case scenario in my view is keep Incognito at RG (assuming no labor deal and he is an RFA), Levitre at LG or LT, move Wood back to his ALL-AMERICAN position at C, make Handgarnter your dependable back-up in the interior (like he was at CAR), and draft a LT in round 1 or 2. If you like Levitre at LT (his college position) than you can keep Hangartner in the starting lineup with Wood. One of them would be C and the other LG.

My best 8 men:

Scenario 1:

LT: Levitre

LG: Handgartner

C: Wood

RG: Incognito

RT: Mid-level FA / draft pick or Butler (if he EARNS it, no hand-out)

Swing tackles: Bell and Meredith

Interior back-up: Butler back to Guard

Practice squad: Ramsey

Scenario 2:

LT: Draft Pick

LG: Levitre

RT: Mid-level FA / Bell or Butler (open competition)

Swing tackles: Bell / Butler / draft pick

Interior back-up: Handgartner

Practice squad: Ramsey, Meredith

Either way we still have a very young line that will continue to experience growing pains. Expect them to struggle again next year, at least initially.

Self-importance? :blink:

The guy who posted immediately before you pointed out that he started all 16 games in 2007, then missed three games in 2008.

I'm not sure where you're getting 19 games, from. He was injured week 2, meaning he played in 1.5 games of the 16 games we've played so far this year, so he's missed 17.5 games in his career.

He only played in two games his rookie year, so YTD, he's had one injury prior to getting rolled up. So, that's 2 games his rookie year, 16 games the following, 13 of 16 last year, and 1.5 before going down for an injury this. Therefore, prior to his freak season ending injury, he played in 31 of the 34 games he was eligible for. That doesn't sound like "injury prone" to me. Let's not be so quick to slap on the label just because he was lost early in the season for the rest of the year.

As for my self-importance, so sorry I pointed out your glossing of the facts less than 5 minutes after someone attempted to table said facts glossing by actually providing some! :censored:

Ok....17.5...you win.

Let's try this again...he's missed 17.5 games out of the last 48 games, meaning he's missed 37% of the games. As for what I was pointing out, it was disagreeing with the fact that his reputation as being unhealthy was unwarranted. And we both know you were trying to elevate yourself above the rest of TBD.

Scenario 2:

LT: Draft Pick

LG: Levitre

RT: Mid-level FA / Bell or Butler (open competition)

Swing tackles: Bell / Butler / draft pick

Interior back-up: Handgartner

Practice squad: Ramsey, Meredith

Either way we still have a very young line that will continue to experience growing pains. Expect them to struggle again next year, at least initially.

I like scenario 2 if the draft pick is their 1st round selection, i'm not sure a 2nd rounder should be relied upon to be their starting LT. Also, if Incognito does leave Hangartner can act as a better than average stop gap for another year.

Ok....17.5...you win.

Let's try this again...he's missed 17.5 games out of the last 48 games, meaning he's missed 37% of the games. As for what I was pointing out, it was disagreeing with the fact that his reputation as being unhealthy was unwarranted. And we both know you were trying to elevate yourself above the rest of TBD.

Technically speaking, he's only missed 16.5 games. He hasn't missed this coming Sunday's game... yet.

:censored:

Ok....17.5...you win.

Ha, yes, I'd prefer the rest of TBD grovel as my minions!

Whatever, if he gets dinged again next year AND misses games (as another poster rightfully pointed out he plays hurt, a lot), then okay, fine. But if he continues to sit out from practice but then start 13-16 games a year for the rest of career, I'm find with it.

I like scenario 2 if the draft pick is their 1st round selection, i'm not sure a 2nd rounder should be relied upon to be their starting LT. Also, if Incognito does leave Hangartner can act as a better than average stop gap for another year.

I also prefer scenario 2, just because I'd prefer Levitre stay right at home on the inside.

I think Butler is a back-up plain and simple. He is best suited for either LG or RT -- and I think he is slightly better option at guard than tackle. I think the Bills are in need of 2 tackles and Butler would be a good option to have as insurance in case a real starter went down. Butler struggled mightily throughout pre-season and he hasn't shown me anything to suggest he would have made a big difference to our Offensive Line problems this year.

I think our only 2 legit lineman are Wood and Levitre. Hangman needs to be a backup and Scott/Bell/Merideth are all long-term projects that likely won't pan out.