Bills Inner Circle

Nevergiveup

I know we joke about it, but how can we possibly get this straightened out. Ralph huddles in Detroit with who? What can Jeff Littman bring to any discussion related to football? I guess we already know that answer. Who else is there when Ralph heads to the office? Mary Owen is the niece of his 3rd wife and seems to have a new title every other year. We can only hope she does not have any input. What a joke that would be. I can't locate anyone else. Back in Buffalo it's Brandon, Overdorf, John Guy (donahoe hire) and Modrak (might not even count since he lives in Florida)

This is a complete disaster. I think Ralph will hire a football exec and a coach with a decent name, but it will be blind luck if they end up being the right ones. I guess that is what we are left with. If I have no other choice, I would probably rather have Brandon make the call. At least he is a competent business executive. As long as he steps aside on the football side once the process is complete.

So much for living up to my screen name. Thanks for lettng me vent and post. If anyone can make me feel better, please do.

Merry X-mas.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know we joke about it, but how can we possibly get this straightened out. Ralph huddles in Detroit with who? What can Jeff Littman bring to any discussion related to football? I guess we already know that answer. Who else is there when Ralph heads to the office? Mary Owen is the niece of his 3rd wife and seems to have a new title every other year. We can only hope she does not have any input. What a joke that would be. I can't locate anyone else. Back in Buffalo it's Brandon, Overdorf, John Guy (donahoe hire) and Modrak (might not even count since he lives in Florida)

This is a complete disaster. I think Ralph will hire a football exec and a coach with a decent name, but it will be blind luck if they end up being the right ones. I guess that is what we are left with. If I have no other choice, I would probably rather have Brandon make the call. At least he is a competent business executive. As long as he steps aside on the football side once the process is complete.

So much for living up to my screen name. Thanks for lettng me vent and post. If anyone can make me feel better, please do.

Merry X-mas.

Mike Brown doesn't own the Bills. How's that? :thumbsup:

It's funny. We don't know what is going on, but it doesn't stop us from assuming the absolute, rock-bottom worst!

My take is if Ralph really...REALLY wants to build a winner, he will cede control. I think that has been the problem since Donahoe. We all forget that Ralph did cede control to ol' Whitey. In fact the Donahoe hiring was lauded by many. He was considered a "star" hire. We all know how that turned out.

Anyway, I think Brandon will be the point man here. Some of us consider him part of the problem, but I think we are ignoring the dynamic at One Bills Drive up to now. Brandon is mainly the marketing guy. His job does not include signing players and hiring coaches. I think Ralph consulted with Guy, Modrak and Overdorf. Brandon may have been in the loop but Ralph made the final decisions.

But now I think Ralph trusts Brandon more and is willing to turn some of the power over to him. I don't know anything about Brandon (and nether do you) but I'm guessing he is not a dumb guy. As a marketing guy he knows a winning team is easier to promote. My hope is he is talking with as many people as possible and forming a list of qualified GM candidates. It's looking like the rock stars probably won't come to Buffalo, so he needs to find the next up-and-comer, then give them the cash and authority to remake this team, without Ralph's input.

PTR

Thank you. That does make me feel slightly better. Even though they have been competitve this year.

Mikie's team, as of last year:

1/3 of the league's 0-8 starts since 1998.

8 losing streaks of 7 or more games.

One of the lowest winning percentages in pro sports... 101-186-1, 0.351.

One playoff appearance.

71 - 101 in the 2nd half of the season.

How we determine who the next up and comer is, that is really my concern. I am happy Ralph is willing to spend addtional dollars, but obviously it does not matter unless he gets the right person. It does not appear that we have the people in place to make that call. Maybe he is consulting with someone outside the organization.

As I said, if i had to go with anyone that is currently there, it would be Brandon. He has certainly done a good job on the business side. Whether I know him or not, I do know the numbers when he arrived and the numbers they have now. Quite an accomplisment with one playoff appearance during his tenure. We like to talk about the massive fan suport, but go back and look at the season ticket numbers before he arrived. I believe they were under 30K. Unfortunately it doesn't necessarily qualify him to put together an NFL front office, but if I had to roll the dice with anyone there it would be him.

Mikie's team, as of last year:

1/3 of the league's 0-8 starts since 1998.

8 losing streaks of 7 or more games.

One of the lowest winning percentages in pro sports... 101-186-1, 0.351.

One playoff appearance.

71 - 101 in the 2nd half of the season.

OK...I feel better!

How we determine who the next up and comer is, that is really my concern. I am happy Ralph is willing to spend addtional dollars, but obviously it does not matter unless he gets the right person. It does not appear that we have the people in place to make that call. Maybe he is consulting with someone outside the organization.

As I said, if i had to go with anyone that is currently there, it would be Brandon. He has certainly done a good job on the business side. Whether I know him or not, I do know the numbers when he arrived and the numbers they have now. Quite an accomplisment with one playoff appearance during his tenure. We like to talk about the massive fan suport, but go back and look at the season ticket numbers before he arrived. I believe they were under 30K. Unfortunately it doesn't necessarily qualify him to put together an NFL front office, but if I had to roll the dice with anyone there it would be him.

Is RW willing to spend money, or is that merely a rumor started somewhere? I expect there to be plenty of activity beginning 1/4, but there's no indication RW is about to spring big dollars onto a "name" commodity.

The Bills are being forced into hiring a real GM like they should have in early 2006. There is no one on the Bills payroll in the front office capable of making a good decision on the next GM.

24 years ago about this time, RW hit the lottery by naming Bill Polian GM. Because he won't hire a consultant and won't trust anyone but Brandon, all we've got is hope that they'll hit the trifecta once again.

Merry X-mas.

You forgot to add 'Jerk' to the end of your thread title

Merry X-mas.

wilson started the NFL as we know it today. he was a pioneer of the sport as we now know it.

i dont think you have to worry about his ability to hire a good GM or coach. after 50 years in the business he has many connections to the best minds in the game.

believe me he will not rely on brandon to make the decisions for him you can bank on that. he is fully aware that brandon is a marketing man,no worries man!

It's funny. We don't know what is going on, but it doesn't stop us from assuming the absolute, rock-bottom worst!

My take is if Ralph really...REALLY wants to build a winner, he will cede control. I think that has been the problem since Donahoe. We all forget that Ralph did cede control to ol' Whitey. In fact the Donahoe hiring was lauded by many. He was considered a "star" hire. We all know how that turned out.

Anyway, I think Brandon will be the point man here. Some of us consider him part of the problem, but I think we are ignoring the dynamic at One Bills Drive up to now. Brandon is mainly the marketing guy. His job does not include signing players and hiring coaches. I think Ralph consulted with Guy, Modrak and Overdorf. Brandon may have been in the loop but Ralph made the final decisions.

But now I think Ralph trusts Brandon more and is willing to turn some of the power over to him. I don't know anything about Brandon (and nether do you) but I'm guessing he is not a dumb guy. As a marketing guy he knows a winning team is easier to promote. My hope is he is talking with as many people as possible and forming a list of qualified GM candidates. It's looking like the rock stars probably won't come to Buffalo, so he needs to find the next up-and-comer, then give them the cash and authority to remake this team, without Ralph's input.

PTR

Refering to the Bills, you say we don't know what's going on? And you tell us all that we "don't know anything about Brandon?" Your right in my case, but there may be others that post here that have gained some information that you do not have. Possibly reporters or guys who know someone inside the organization.

But after professing ignorance, you state that Brandon's job does not include signing players and hiring coaches. Yet he is interviewing candidates. I respect your speculations but wonder what prompts these statements of certainty.

I believe that many of the contributors on this board make good points about the Bills organization and individuals. And many of them accurately illustrate trends in Bills decisionmaking based on recorded history and observations. If I felt that everyone posting here is clueless, I wouldn't be reading their comments.

wilson started the NFL as we know it today. he was a pioneer of the sport as we now know it.

i dont think you have to worry about his ability to hire a good GM or coach. after 50 years in the business he has many connections to the best minds in the game.

believe me he will not rely on brandon to make the decisions for him you can bank on that. he is fully aware that brandon is a marketing man,no worries man!

Ok if Wilson is so damn good why has his team posted a losing record in the 60's, 70's, 80's and 00's? Yeah 50 years in the league and his team has sucked ass for over 40 of it.

Take the decision making from Wilson, that will be the only way this team starts to turn around.

Refering to the Bills, you say we don't know what's going on? And you tell us all that we "don't know anything about Brandon?" Your right in my case, but there may be others that post here that have gained some information that you do not have. Possibly reporters or guys who know someone inside the organization.

But after professing ignorance, you state that Brandon's job does not include signing players and hiring coaches. Yet he is interviewing candidates. I respect your speculations but wonder what prompts these statements of certainty.

I believe that many of the contributors on this board make good points about the Bills organization and individuals. And many of them accurately illustrate trends in Bills decisionmaking based on recorded history and observations. If I felt that everyone posting here is clueless, I wouldn't be reading their comments.

I base my statements on two things: 1) Guy is the player personnel man and Levy hired Jauron not Brandon. And 2) Brandon is the one who met with Shanahan.

PTR