two free agents to consider

tennesseeboy

Before you say we can't get them remember that a lot of folks can be persuaded with a long term contract and a lot of Benjamins.

DeMeco Ryans, Houston Texans

Ryans has been a stalwart for the Texans, displaying consistency from game-to-game and year-to-year. With rookie sensation Brian Cushing next to him, the Texans have the beginnings of a good front 7. Ryans would like a long-term contract with the Texans, and Houston will almost definitely re-sign Ryans to keep intact the foundation of Ryans-Cushing-Williams front 7. If the two sides can’t reach a deal, there’s a chance he would be willing to accept a deal elsewhere.

keith Bulluck, Tennessee, a little long in the tooth and coming off an injury but he was playing at the top of his game. Tennessee appears ready to let him go.

http://www.examiner.com/x-17865-Tennessee-...ound-the-corner

Before you say we can't get them remember that a lot of folks can be persuaded with a long term contract and a lot of Benjamins.

Ryans has been a stalwart for the Texans, displaying consistency from game-to-game and year-to-year. With rookie sensation Brian Cushing next to him, the Texans have the beginnings of a good front 7. Ryans would like a long-term contract with the Texans, and Houston will almost definitely re-sign Ryans to keep intact the foundation of Ryans-Cushing-Williams front 7. If the two sides can’t reach a deal, there’s a chance he would be willing to accept a deal elsewhere.

keith Bulluck, Tennessee, a little long in the tooth and coming off an injury but he was playing at the top of his game. Tennessee appears ready to let him go.

No way Houston lets Ryans walk...

I still like Derrick Johnson from the Chiefs. High draft pick (17 overall, maybe?) who was benched because he doesn't fit their new scheme. But he *does* fit our scheme. I can't imagine KC wanting to retain him, and since he's spending this year on the bench, his price should be pretty reasonable. Low risk, high upside kind of guy.

I still like Derrick Johnson from the Chiefs. High draft pick (17 overall, maybe?) who was benched because he doesn't fit their new scheme. But he *does* fit our scheme. I can't imagine KC wanting to retain him, and since he's spending this year on the bench, his price should be pretty reasonable. Low risk, high upside kind of guy.

Not to mention Johnson is a very good cover 2 LB, so there would be little risk in signing him.

Especially when you consider that, absent a new CBA, he'll be only a RESTRICTED FA. Houston can retain him with a minimal tender offer of just over $2M, and any team wishing to sign him would have to give up a 1st and 3rd round pick.

yep the CBA rules change this year.

All players must have 6 years before they are considered a UFA and all teams can use 2 franchise and/or transition tags this offseason.

There will be slim pickings on the FA market

Bulluck is out for the year with a torn ACL. It would be a gamble, but I he is a heck of a player when healthy...

Other than the law of averages, I don't see why any top FA would want to come here. Believe me, I am forever the optimist when it comes to the Bills. But let's face it, we've had 5 winning seasons (most of them 10-6) in the last 15 years, with no playoff appearances in the last 10. Drew Bledsoe was the last QB to beat New England. Since Thurman left, Travis Henry has been the best RB we've had. And we haven't had a decent QB since Kelly hung 'em up.

So why ... why would any top FA even consider coming to Buffalo? Money??? Two words ... Ralph Wilson.

Keep the fingers crossed for one hell of a draft.