I find it sad

major

If the Browns sign a GM before we do, something is wrong. Rebuilding the Browns is a colossal job. In my opinion, our franchise has more upside than the Browns. Currently, we have better players and I feel it wouldn't take a GM too long to succeed with our Bills. I'm just wondering why Holmgren wouldn't prefer us over the lowly Browns. Then again, those lowly Browns beat us this season. I still haven't gotten over that one.

If the Browns sign a GM before we do, something is wrong. Rebuilding the Browns is a colossal job. In my opinion, our franchise has more upside than the Browns. Currently, we have better players and I feel it wouldn't take a GM too long to succeed with our Bills. I'm just wondering why Holmgren wouldn't prefer us over the lowly Browns. Then again, those lowly Browns beat us this season. I still haven't gotten over that one.

If Mike Holmgren takes the job in Cleveland, they become a legitimate franchise again. Many fans assume RW can waive some money around and attract a coach and/or GM with ease like MH. Unfortunately, it's my feeling that RW has no contacts in the league, and the individuals who used to work for RW and now working elsewhere-Polian, Smith, et al-have put the word out about working for RW.

Buffalo's only shot is to hire up and comers who are willing to work for a meddlesome owner that permits his treasurer to dictate moves. That narrows down the choices, no matter what anyone says.

Look at it this way. Holmgren already said "no thanks" to the Bills so it's not like we missed out on him. Second, the only candidates you can hire now are not working. That limits your choices greatly. The Bills already said GM interviews begin after Xmas. Is the idea to hire someone first or someone good? BTW the Rooney rule applies to GMs too. Looks like Cleveland and Washington are going to fined fir their hasty hires.

PTR

If Mike Holmgren takes the job in Cleveland, they become a legitimate franchise again. Many fans assume RW can waive some money around and attract a coach and/or GM with ease like MH. Unfortunately, it's my feeling that RW has no contacts in the league, and the individuals who used to work for RW and now working elsewhere-Polian, Smith, et al-have put the word out about working for RW.

Buffalo's only shot is to hire up and comers who are willing to work for a meddlesome owner that permits his treasurer to dictate moves. That narrows down the choices, no matter what anyone says.

A legit franchise? Without drafting one player or winning one game? I didn't know hiring one person is how it's done.

PTR

Look at it this way. Holmgren already said "no thanks" to the Bills so it's not like we missed out on him. Second, the only candidates you can hire now are not working. That limits your choices greatly. The Bills already said GM interviews begin after Xmas. Is the idea to hire someone first or someone good? BTW the Rooney rule applies to GMs too. Looks like Cleveland and Washington are going to fined fir their hasty hires.

PTR

BTW, Mr. 8977 posts PromoTheRobot, according to NFL sources, the Redskins interviewed at least two minority candidates for their GM position. Check the facts before spewing misinformation.

A legit franchise? Without drafting one player or winning one game? I didn't know hiring one person is how it's done.

PTR

Miami became legit in late 2006 when Bill Parcells was hired (cue the skewering of BP) and cleaned house. Two years after going 1-15, they're a combined 18-11 and look like they've got a QB. BP's track record speaks for itself, and he knows how to build franchises. Holmgren does as well, given that he's taken two clubs to the SB, beating BP in one of them.

Hiring one good management type is how it's done. As in, find one solid GM who can evaluate talent and find other talented people.

It's not a race. I don't care when we hire a GM, I care who we hire for GM. Bruce Allen wasn't some crowning success in Tampa - he took a team only a year removed from a Super Bowl victory, and managed no playoff wins. He failed to acquire a quarterback in a number of tries. He burned first round picks (and high ones) on Michael Clayton, Cadillac Williams, and Gaines Adams. I'm not impressed.

Even Holmgren hasn't scored a hit in quite a while. He was a better coach than GM, and was relieved of his job in Seattle and then rejected when he tried to get it back.

Miami became legit in late 2006 when Bill Parcells was hired (cue the skewering of BP) and cleaned house. Two years after going 1-15, they're a combined 18-11 and look like they've got a QB. BP's track record speaks for itself, and he knows how to build franchises. Holmgren does as well, given that he's taken two clubs to the SB, beating BP in one of them.

Hiring one good management type is how it's done. As in, find one solid GM who can evaluate talent and find other talented people.

This is funny. I just read a post saying the Bills never beat any good teams. Now Miami is a great franchise? Miami became legit when they started winning, not when Tuna walked in the door. Although if by legit you mean ESPN drooling over your team, then I guess he made difference.

PTR

This is funny. I just read a post saying the Bills never beat any good teams. Now Miami is a great franchise? Miami became legit when they started winning, not when Tuna walked in the door. Although if by legit you mean ESPN drooling over your team, then I guess he made difference.

PTR

I think what's funny is you vouch for this team as if they're well on their way to success. No one said anything about Miami being great aside from you. My point seems to be lost: Miami is a better franchise, and beating them doesn't change that. I hate the other AFCE teams as much as the next guy, but Buffalo has a complete rebuild staring them dead in the face.

Parcells is regarded as someone who wins. He's built or helped build 4 franchises, the latest of which had almost nothing before he arived. Cleveland stinks right now, but then again so did Miami in 2007. And yet he we are two years later with Miami in the thick of a playoff race and Buffalo stumbling to a (and you might not remember this) 10th straight non-playoff season and 7th year this decade with a losing record.

I'm not vouching for the Bills. They need to get rebuilt. But everyone here is so high on these rock star coaches like everything will be wonderful when the show up. First of all none of them want to come to Buffalo. Second if you are that sick of the Bills then why hang out here? Seriously? If they are such a horrible affront to your fandom then find a new team and beat it. I just get so burnt out on the endless bitchfest, you know? Yeah yeah yeah...10 years no playoffs. If it's too much to bear, then don't.

PTR

I'm not vouching for the Bills. They need to get rebuilt. But everyone here is so high on these rock star coaches like everything will be wonderful when the show up. First of all none of them want to come to Buffalo. Second if you are that sick of the Bills then why hang out here? Seriously? If they are such a horrible affront to your fandom then find a new team and beat it. I just get so burnt out on the endless bitchfest, you know? Yeah yeah yeah...10 years no playoffs. If it's too much to bear, then don't.

PTR

I agree that "rock star" HC's are no guarantee of success. I'd like to get an offensive minded coach who has the ability to find a DC who can stop people with a tough defense that reflects some toughness and size.

I also reserve the right to complain about what is wrong with the franchise, all the while offering some solutions to reversing their course. You don't lose 10 years running unless you're ignoring the essentials: QB, OL, and DL. What are your answers to the Bills current woes and coach search?

Personally, I'd like to see a consultant used to head a search for a GM. OR, Russ can find a GM who is tasked with hiring the next coach. Then, draft heavy OT, DT, and DE unless a QB is available. But just don't give me the same song and dance in 2010. If I hear the word continuity, that's it.

I agree that "rock star" HC's are no guarantee of success. I'd like to get an offensive minded coach who has the ability to find a DC who can stop people with a tough defense that reflects some toughness and size.

I also reserve the right to complain about what is wrong with the franchise, all the while offering some solutions to reversing their course. You don't lose 10 years running unless you're ignoring the essentials: QB, OL, and DL. What are your answers to the Bills current woes and coach search?

Personally, I'd like to see a consultant used to head a search for a GM. OR, Russ can find a GM who is tasked with hiring the next coach. Then, draft heavy OT, DT, and DE unless a QB is available. But just don't give me the same song and dance in 2010. If I hear the word continuity, that's it.

If you want to be fair, has Russ Brandon ever hired anyone on the football ops side without Ralph's input? If not then we don't know what he is capable of.

So far the Bills have responded to my concerns. I threatened to cancel my season if Jauron was still coach. So at least they took that step. They at least tried to reach out to the name coaches. And from what we read, they will be talking to GM candidates after Christmas. So far they have done everything I want. I know there are some screaming meemies who wanted a name coach hired yesterday but I would be much happier with a quality GM/ops guy who will have the autonomy to make personnel decisions without interference from anyone, especially Ralph. Until they deviate from that plan, I see no reason to get worked up.

PTR

PTR

Let's put it this way, then. Hiring a big name GM/Coach like Holmgren/Parcells, etc. would give the Bills instant credibility. I think that's what BillsVet means when he says a "legitimate franchise."

If the Bills were to hire a big name (and neither BillsVet or I have advocated for this approach, but nonetheless), it would be a sign to players and coaches alike that the Bills were serious about becoming a professional operation and it would probably have a positive effect on getting good people in here to help turn the team around.

If you want to be fair, has Russ Brandon ever hired anyone on the football ops side without Ralph's input? If not then we don't know what he is capable of.

Talk about a rose-colored glasses viewpoint. The wino on 4th Ave. hasn't made any football decisions (fewer than Mr. Smithers, no doubt), so why not give him a shot at running a billion dollar company?

So you wanted Buffalo to hurry up and hire a guy that's never operated in a personnel department before? A guy that failed in his closest endeavor into GM-type activity and was replaced by Tim Ruskell?

I'm actually ok that they didn't rush to hire a guy that wasn't good in his personnel management role.

Let's keep in mind that hiring Parcells was an avenue to getting a personnel guy that they wanted (Jeff Ireland-Dallas), who brought with him a coach that he felt confident in.

Unless Holmgren has a GM-type that he wants to bring in, I'm happy to pass on him.

Buffalo needs a personnel guy, not a figurehead.

Talk about a rose-colored glasses viewpoint. The wino on 4th Ave. hasn't made any football decisions (fewer than Mr. Smithers, no doubt), so why not give him a shot at running a billion dollar company?

Because the wino didn't graduate from college and did a good job marketing the team. All I'm saying is Brandon may not be football guru but he's no jughead either.

PTR

Unless Holmgren has a GM-type that he wants to bring in, I'm happy to pass on him.

Buffalo needs a personnel guy, not a figurehead.

Holmgren excelled as a HC in GB, but before then as an OC with SF. Subsequently, he yielded GM authority over to Tim Ruskell who recently resigned in SEA. While it's no guarantee he will put a winner on the field, he's got an idea of how to do it based on 20+ years of NFL coaching.

The "football czar" role is increasingly more popular. They're not a figurehead, but someone who establishes a vision for the team and hires people who obtain players and other managers to put it into place.

Look at it this way. Holmgren already said "no thanks" to the Bills so it's not like we missed out on him.

That makes ZERO sense. Of COURSE it means that we missed out on him!! He said "No, thanks" because of something he believes about Ralph, and it is that very reason why many of us have beeen clamoring that Ralph needs to make a SERIOUS effort to figure out what role his own behavior has played in this team sucking forever and CHANGE said behavior. Holmgren dismissing the opportunity to even SPEAK with Ralph is the first sign that Ralph has NOT changed his behavior, and that makes alot of people angry, and rightly so.

And if you don't think that Mike Holmgren would give instant legitimacy to a team like Cleveland or Buffalo, you're crazy, plain and simple.

That makes ZERO sense. Of COURSE it means that we missed out on him!! He said "No, thanks" because of something he believes about Ralph, and it is that very reason why many of us have beeen clamoring that Ralph needs to make a SERIOUS effort to figure out what role his own behavior has played in this team sucking forever and CHANGE said behavior. Holmgren dismissing the opportunity to even SPEAK with Ralph is the first sign that Ralph has NOT changed his behavior, and that makes alot of people angry, and rightly so.

And if you don't think that Mike Holmgren would give instant legitimacy to a team like Cleveland or Buffalo, you're crazy, plain and simple.

If I had to guess, I'd say you're right but for the wrong reason.

Holmgren may have said no to the Bills because of Ralph, but not because Ralph's behavior. I would say it's probably because of Ralph's age. The Bills could quite possibly have new ownership within a few years. That means instability. Which, in turn, makes the position harder to fill.