Jimmy Clausen

Illinois receiver Arrelious Benn will skip his senior season and enter April's NFL Draft after a disappointing junior year

I just saw this on Sportsline.com. It made me wonder if his nipples are as great as his Arrelious.

Not necessarily saying that Mccoy is better than Clausen but Mccoy beats him in pretty much every statistical category (carreer completion percentage, Career QB rating, Total Yds, Total TDs, etc) so your argument does not hold water.

I do not think that McCoy has the arm to play in the Buffalo weather.

McShay really doesn't like Claussen. I hope he's right, in that he'll still be there when we draft. I've been very impressed by Claussen despite virtually always wishing that he would fail miserably.

McCoy isn't in the same class as a passer.

I cannot see McCoy playing in the NFL; I have no idea what the scouts see in that guy.

I doubt the fans and followers of this team are likely to be any where near mature enough to deal with the impacts of spending a #1 on a QB be it Clausen or whoever.

In particular I know that the local media led by WGR and Jerry Sullivan will in no way allow an athlete the time to develop that even the best QBs take to develop. Even the best I have seen at the position Peyton Manning took his team from logging 3-13 to draft him was to fast forward to be 3-13 the next year.

This put them in a position to then draft Edgerrin James, and with another first rounder Marvin Harrison they finally became a potent offense.

Yet, despite all this star powers it took the best GM out there constantly doing his waiver wire and negotiation magic to still have to go off the salary cap books and get one of the best D minded HCs in the league to finally win the SB.

After an 0 for the decade playoff run there is no way I can see that this team and it followers will be able to maintain in any sustainable way a team which depends on a young first rounder to be the new "savior". My sense is this team is going to need to go with a vet QB who can deal with the idiocy of a media who will be champing at the bit to create a new QB controversy.

If we take Clausen he is going to need to be part of a winning team immediately and this team does not even have a Ray Lewis to allow a Flacco time to develop that a young QB will need.

I think taking Clausen is a non-starter for this team where it is right now.

Very good post. :unsure:

In particular I know that the local media led by WGR and Jerry Sullivan will in no way allow an athlete the time to develop that even the best QBs take to develop. Even the best I have seen at the position Peyton Manning took his team from logging 3-13 to draft him was to fast forward to be 3-13 the next year.

This put them in a position to then draft Edgerrin James, and with another first rounder Marvin Harrison they finally became a potent offense.

Yet, despite all this star powers it took the best GM out there constantly doing his waiver wire and negotiation magic to still have to go off the salary cap books and get one of the best D minded HCs in the league to finally win the SB.

After an 0 for the decade playoff run there is no way I can see that this team and it followers will be able to maintain in any sustainable way a team which depends on a young first rounder to be the new "savior". My sense is this team is going to need to go with a vet QB who can deal with the idiocy of a media who will be champing at the bit to create a new QB controversy.

If we take Clausen he is going to need to be part of a winning team immediately and this team does not even have a Ray Lewis to allow a Flacco time to develop that a young QB will need.

I agree that any QB we may draft, regardless of how high, we need to bring in a solid vet (as solid as qb's that are available goes). Unfortunately that quality is capped pretty low.

this logic, though totally true as to fan/media impatience, would make it tough to ever get a great QB and as a result really make it tough to ever be a dominant team for any extended period of time. Unfortunately the only way you get a great QB is through the draft because they don't hit free agency (minus rare aberrations). And having a great QB is the single greatest determinant of success in today's NFL. You can luck out by stumbling upon a Tom Brady or Kurt Warner, but those are exceptions to the general rule. The best QBs in the league were overwhelmingly drafted in the first round and by the team they are still on.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/index.php?...t&p=1661790

PROS:

- Strong Arm

- Surgical accuracy

- Cold-weather tested (sorry Senator... :unsure: )

- Pro-style offense

- 3-year starter

- Moxie

CONS:

- He's from California so he's obviously the same as RJ, JP and Trent

- He had spiky hair when he was 18

- He played at ND so he's obviously the same as Rick Mirer or Brady Quinn

Bottom line, he is the most mechanically sound, pro-offense learned, spotlight tested, highest ceiling QB in this draft. If we have the chance to draft him, we do it.

I agree 100% I dont understand the JC sucks because he came from the same school as Brady Quinn. Most of the JC opposers just dont like him because of the hatred for ND. I would take here him above any qb in this draft.

Kid had no defense to help him win games, his top 2 receivers (Flloyd, and the TightEnd his name escapes me) went down for long periods of time. Yet his numbers were still really good.

Kid had no defense to help him win games, his top 2 receivers (Flloyd, and the TightEnd his name escapes me) went down for long periods of time. Yet his numbers were still really good.

he's my favorite QB too. but he did have Golden Tate to throw to, who is a great receiver who made a lot of acrobatic catches. but even that shows Claussen trusts his receivers.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/index.php?...t&p=1661790

PROS:

- Strong Arm

- Surgical accuracy

- Cold-weather tested (sorry Senator... :flirt: )

- Pro-style offense

- 3-year starter

- Moxie

CONS:

- He's from California so he's obviously the same as RJ, JP and Trent

- He had spiky hair when he was 18

- He played at ND so he's obviously the same as Rick Mirer, Brady Quinn or Joe Montana

Bottom line, he is the most mechanically sound, pro-offense learned, spotlight tested, highest ceiling QB in this draft. If we have the chance to draft him, we do it.

fixed :unsure:

he's my favorite QB too. but he did have Golden Tate to throw to, who is a great receiver who made a lot of acrobatic catches. but even that shows Claussen trusts his receivers.

I would think people who have complained all year about "check downs" would love Clausen. The guy is accurate throwing to anywhere on the field.