Still have a shot ... don't count Buffalo out (or do if you're

gsf101

Now I'm probably going to get booed off this board for posting this, but I'm reminded of Jim Carrey's line from "Dumb and Dumber" ... 'so you're saying there's a chance!'

Buffalo can still win the AFC East, and while it would require a total meltdown from New England, it wouldn't be unheard of - remember San Diego won the West last year with an 8-8 record, and then beat the Colts in the first round of the playoffs.

Buffalo's playoff possibilities:

1. Buffalo needs to win out (New England, at Atlanta, Indianapolis)

2. New England needs to lose out (at Buffalo, Jacksonville, at Houston)

3. Miami must lose out (at Tennessee, Houston, Pittsburgh)

4. New York cannot win more than one game (Atlanta, at Indianapolis, Cincinnati)

That would put Buffalo and New England at 8-8 and Miami and New York at 7-9. According to this Yahoo! scenario generator, that gives Buffalo the division.

Is it likely? No. But it's possible. And as Yogi Berra once said, "it ain't over 'til it's over." I don't know about all of you but I don't quit on the playoff dreams until Buffalo is mathematically eliminated.

However, Buffalo cannot win a Wild Card because it is impossible that all the 7-6 teams lose out because they play one another. Plus, Buffalo does not own the tiebreaker over Jacksonville (the current #6 seed) due to the 18-15 loss on November 22. Jacksonville plays New England, so one of those teams will win - whichever team wins that game basically eliminates Buffalo from reaching that particular qualifier, whether it be the East or the Wild Card. If the Bills beat the Patriots this week, root for the Jaguars next week.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/playoffscenari...amp;16=00044000

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now I'm probably going to get booed off this board for posting this, but I'm reminded of Jim Carrey's line from "Dumb and Dumber" ... 'so you're saying there's a chance!'

Buffalo can still win the AFC East, and while it would require a total meltdown from New England, it wouldn't be unheard of - remember San Diego won the West last year with an 8-8 record, and then beat the Colts in the first round of the playoffs.

4. New York cannot win more than one game (Atlanta, at Indianapolis, Cincinnati)

That would put Buffalo and New England at 8-8 and Miami and New York at 7-9. According to this Yahoo! scenario generator, that gives Buffalo the division.

Is it likely? No. But it's possible. And as Yogi Berra once said, "it ain't over 'til it's over." I don't know about all of you but I don't quit on the playoff dreams until Buffalo is mathematically eliminated.

However, Buffalo cannot win a Wild Card because it is impossible that all the 7-6 teams lose out because they play one another. Plus, Buffalo does not own the tiebreaker over Jacksonville (the current #6 seed) due to the 18-15 loss on November 22. Jacksonville plays New England, so one of those teams will win - whichever team wins that game basically eliminates Buffalo from reaching that particular qualifier, whether it be the East or the Wild Card. If the Bills beat the Patriots this week, root for the Jaguars next week.

Wrong Buffalo has not shot at the division.

Buffalo will not win the tie breakers:

1. Head-to-Head- Tie

2. Division Record- Tie

3. Common Games -Tie

4. Conference Record-Tie

5. Strength of Victory- NE This is where we would lose it NE beat Titans 59-0 and Tampa bay 35-7 thats 94-7 in 2 games our wins have been narrow by14 or less

6. Strength of Schedule- We would also lose it here becuase Ne played DEN and Baltimore Compared to our KC and Cleveland.

The only dream scenario that would work is if the 6th seed lost all three of their remaining games with the bills winning the remaing three and the Biggest problem of the whole scenario is winning three in a row. What ever delusions you had about the Bills winning the first game against the pats are not realistic for the scond game because we are always destroyed in the second game and if Indy is vying for perfection WE WILL NOT BEAT THE COLTS period. We will be lucky to win against Atlanta. finishing with a 6-10 record just one shy of our 7-9.

remarkably if we win out that scenario doesn't seem all that unlikely

wow

I thought abut this last night too, but not even YE OLE' had the cajones to post this and deal with the backlash that would ensue from this board. Props to OP for having the stones to post this.

Ironically enough, I agree... I can totally see the other 3 teams losing out. Us winning out at this point... more unlikely I'm afraid. But, that being said, I think our toughest game left is New England this week and I can't say it's not winnable.

Can anyone imagine this team HOSTING a playoff game?

Perhaps you're right Poeticlaw, but I'm just going by what the Yahoo! scenario generator told me. It's possible that Yahoo! isn't taking into account the various tiebreakers that exist behind head-to-head, division and conference record.

Can Buffalo win the #6 seed at 8-8? Let's see. The Bills cannot pass the Broncos, the current #5 seed (8-5) because of the conference record tiebreaker.

Should Buffalo win out and be 8-8:

Jacksonville, the current 6 seed (7-6), could lose out and be 7-9. But that would require a loss to Cleveland.

Baltimore, at 7 (7-6), could lose out and be 7-9. But that would require a loss to the JaMarcus Russell-led Oakland Raiders.

Baltimore and Pittsburgh, at 10 (6-7) can not both lose out because they play each other. If Baltimore wins, they would have eight wins and would have Buffalo on the conference record tiebreaker. If Baltimore wins that game, Buffalo would be out.

Pittsburgh would then have seven wins and play at Miami, the current 8 seed (7-6), in the last week. One of those teams, with a win, would go to eight wins. However, Buffalo's conference record would be better than Pittsburgh's, so the Bills would win that tiebreaker.

Basically, if you want a Wild Card, cheer for Pittsburgh to lose this week vs. Green Bay and then beat Baltimore and Miami.

Now, Miami, at 8 (7-6) plays Tennessee, Houston and Pittsburgh, two of which the Bills would lose direct tiebreakers with due to head-to-head losses. Miami could lose out but that means that all three of those teams would have seven wins.

New York, at 9 (7-6), could lose out and be 7-9. Actually, I see this to be a distinct possibility.

Pittsburgh, at 10 (6-7), has been discussed. The Bills would want them to finish 8-8 in order to wipe away two teams Buffalo wouldn't win the tiebreaker against - Baltimore and Miami.

Tennessee, at 11 (6-7), has also been discussed. The Bills need them to finish at 7-9 or worse, but they would have to beat Miami.

Houston, at 12 (6-7), has also been discussed. The Bills need them to finish at 7-9 or worse, but they would have to beat Miami.

Then is Buffalo, at 13 (5-8). Win out and hope a lot of dominoes fall your way in the last three weeks. One loss, however, and this entire time I spent at work diagnosing all this goes to the hounds.

There's always next year, right Cubs fans?

Wrong Buffalo has not shot at the division.

Buffalo will not win the tie breakers:

1. Head-to-Head- Tie

2. Division Record- Tie

3. Common Games -Tie

4. Conference Record-Tie

5. Strength of Victory- NE This is where we would lose it NE beat Titans 59-0 and Tampa bay 35-7 thats 94-7 in 2 games our wins have been narrow by14 or less

6. Strength of Schedule- We would also lose it here becuase Ne played DEN and Baltimore Compared to our KC and Cleveland.

Strength of victory is not figured in that manner. Strength of victory is the combined RECORD of teams you have beaten, not the point margin. Where we would win is if we knocked off an Indy team resting it's starters that say ended up 15-1.

I thought abut this last night too, but not even YE OLE' had the cajones to post this and deal with the backlash that would ensue from this board. Props to OP for having the stones to post this.

Ironically enough, I agree... I can totally see the other 3 teams losing out. Us winning out at this point... more unlikely I'm afraid. But, that being said, I think our toughest game left is New England this week and I can't say it's not winnable.

Can anyone imagine this team HOSTING a playoff game?

Hell yeah - that's precisely why our crack GM went out and got Brian Brohm! 0:)

12 and 8 baby!!!! :thumbsup:

Perhaps you're right Poeticlaw, but I'm just going by what the Yahoo! scenario generator told me. It's possible that Yahoo! isn't taking into account the various tiebreakers that exist behind head-to-head, division and conference record.

Can Buffalo win the #6 seed at 8-8? Let's see. The Bills cannot pass the Broncos, the current #5 seed (8-5) because of the conference record tiebreaker.

Should Buffalo win out and be 8-8:

Jacksonville, the current 6 seed (7-6), could lose out and be 7-9. But that would require a loss to Cleveland.

Baltimore, at 7 (7-6), could lose out and be 7-9. But that would require a loss to the JaMarcus Russell-led Oakland Raiders.

Baltimore and Pittsburgh, at 10 (6-7) can not both lose out because they play each other. If Baltimore wins, they would have eight wins and would have Buffalo on the conference record tiebreaker. If Baltimore wins that game, Buffalo would be out.

Pittsburgh would then have seven wins and play at Miami, the current 8 seed (7-6), in the last week. One of those teams, with a win, would go to eight wins. However, Buffalo's conference record would be better than Pittsburgh's, so the Bills would win that tiebreaker.

Basically, if you want a Wild Card, cheer for Pittsburgh to lose this week vs. Green Bay and then beat Baltimore and Miami.

Now, Miami, at 8 (7-6) plays Tennessee, Houston and Pittsburgh, two of which the Bills would lose direct tiebreakers with due to head-to-head losses. Miami could lose out but that means that all three of those teams would have seven wins.

New York, at 9 (7-6), could lose out and be 7-9. Actually, I see this to be a distinct possibility.

Pittsburgh, at 10 (6-7), has been discussed. The Bills would want them to finish 8-8 in order to wipe away two teams Buffalo wouldn't win the tiebreaker against - Baltimore and Miami.

Tennessee, at 11 (6-7), has also been discussed. The Bills need them to finish at 7-9 or worse, but they would have to beat Miami.

Houston, at 12 (6-7), has also been discussed. The Bills need them to finish at 7-9 or worse, but they would have to beat Miami.

Then is Buffalo, at 13 (5-8). Win out and hope a lot of dominoes fall your way in the last three weeks. One loss, however, and this entire time I spent at work diagnosing all this goes to the hounds.

There's always next year, right Cubs fans?

Hey for what its worth.... thanks for the post!

Have another shot or two.

That is an awful lot of typing for nothing. First of all, this team isn't capable of winning 4 games in a row. New England won't lose out (they play us remember?) neither will Miami, they are playing pretty well. Nice dreaming, but there is always next year.

One loss, however, and this entire time I spent at work diagnosing all this goes to the hounds.

Well, at least you only wasted work time and not free time :thumbsup:

To even hope for the Bills to make the playoffs this season is a waste of time in my opinion. However, our friends at playoffstatus.com say that this is a cheatriats elimination option for this weeks game:

Spot #2 - First Round Bye

Case 1

Bills beat the Patriots

So we win this week and poor Bellicheat and Tommy Terrific cannot get a first round bye. Boo Hoo.

I don't care if we lose out after this, beat the !@#$ing cheaters!!!!!!!!