Recomendations on single brew coffee makers

WellDressed

I'm looking to get one of these things for my father. He doesn't like to set up a full pot every day. I have been looking

at some that incorporate a pod, or a k-cup, or a saucer-like pack.

Does anyone have one of these? If so, any recommendations would be most helpful. Thanks people!!!

how about a french press, they are very simple and make a good cup of coffee

I'm looking to get one of these things for my father. He doesn't like to set up a full pot every day. I have been looking

at some that incorporate a pod, or a k-cup, or a saucer-like pack.

Does anyone have one of these? If so, any recommendations would be most helpful. Thanks people!!!

One of my doctors has a Keurig similar to this one. It is loud when doing it's "brewing".

Jack, I'm leaning towards a Keurig; that's what I have read, they can be loud. My father is 78 so I see no problems there.

The big question I have to pose to you is, how is the coffee from your MD's machine? Is it better than say a Wawa (Tim Hortons??)

Jack, I'm leaning towards a Keurig; that's what I have read, they can be loud. My father is 78 so I see no problems there.

The big question I have to pose to you is, how is the coffee from your MD's machine? Is it better than say a Wawa (Tim Hortons??)

I don't drink coffee, love the smell, but never got hooked on the taste, so I can't tell you how it is.

I highly recommend getting a Bialetti stovetop unit.

I've tried and owned many different types of coffee machines and these are the best.

Cheap and easy too!

Bialetti

Thanks Kiwi, very intrequing, I just might buy that for myself. :wallbash: I am an amazon prime member so shipping two day ship is free and their return policy is fantastic.

I've got a Keurig Elite and love it. Got it for free through an online promotion. Oddly, the Elite is their low-end full size brewer, but I don't think you need much more than what it has to offer unless you need the purty stainless steel or variable temp controls.

I'm hesitant to comment on the quality of the coffee because everyone's taste is different and the dozens of varieties that are available make it difficult to accurately represent. But I can tell you that I'm a life long coffee drinker and, although I definitely enjoy a brewed pot with freshly ground beans, the convenience that the Keurig offers is very attractive. Seriously, my daughter usually makes the coffee for me and she's not even two years old...that's how easy it is. I just hold her over the machine and she takes it from there. Our guests gets a kick out of it.

I guess my two biggest cons are 1) the high cost per cup and 2) I hate the idea that I'm throwing something into a landfill every time I want a cup of coffee. I wish there was an way to make it more environmentally friendly.

We have a Keurig. I don't drink coffee but my wife does and she absolutely loves it. Don't know a ton about it but I know it can be set on a program to be ready in the AM. My parents also have one and the in-laws just bought one too. They're all coffee people so I guess it's a good endorsement.

just got a Keurig a few weeks ago. Love it - it's quick, easy & clean. High quality coffee.

:thumbsup:

Thanks Kiwi, very intrequing, I just might buy that for myself. :thumbsup: I am an amazon prime member so shipping two day ship is free and their return policy is fantastic.

Go for it... you'll love it. (regarding the Bialetti)

I never really knew about them until we moved out to New Zealand. I've seen them in a lot of homes here and the Italians I know here tell me that every family in Italy has one.

It makes something between a coffee and an espresso, called "Moka"

I fill my coffee cup 1/2 way with milk, warm it in the microwave and fill the rest with the Moka and I'm telling ya... it's the best damn latte you can buy. Seriously.

Velvet.

Plus... there's no moving parts.

OK, that settles it, the Keurig he will get. With all of this love that you guys are showing for these newfangled brewers, you've got me thinking of getting one for myself. :beer: Thanks for all of your input, this turned out to be rather easy. :lol:

Don't you gotta buy their coffee and what not supplies? I don't drink coffee, but if somebody bought me a gift like this (strings attached in that one has to keep buying specific supplies)... I would shoot them.

Kinda like buying somebody a cellphone as a gift... Unless the thing came with a free lifetime plan... How can somebody expect a gift that has certain strings attched and may cost them more in price and committment?

A gift like this would drive me crazy!

:thumbsup:0:)

Not to change the subject towards a traditional brewing system, but I have the Bunn NHBX. Here's the product link. http://www.bunnomatic.com/retail/products/nhb.html

I had been burning through mr coffee, black and decker, etc pots in the $30-$50 range every year. I made a pot 7 days/week, 52 weeks/year and these things only lasted a year to two years max. The Bunn was $140, but I got it on sale for $90 5 years ago and it hasn't had a hitch. It makes a perfect pot of coffee in around 3 minutes. Drawbacks include a simple toggle switch (therefore, no timer, if you're into that) and it uses more energy cause it basically is a mini hhot water heater. However, the extra water causes the water to be forced through the grounds fast, using a pressure gradient, rather than an impeller like a standard coffee pot. Coffee tastes great and the thing is durable as hell. IMO, if you're in the market for a new pot, spend the extra $$ and get a real machine like this one.

Not to change the subject towards a traditional brewing system, but I have the Bunn NHBX. Here's the product link. http://www.bunnomatic.com/retail/products/nhb.html

I had been burning through mr coffee, black and decker, etc pots in the $30-$50 range every year. I made a pot 7 days/week, 52 weeks/year and these things only lasted a year to two years max. The Bunn was $140, but I got it on sale for $90 5 years ago and it hasn't had a hitch. It makes a perfect pot of coffee in around 3 minutes. Drawbacks include a simple toggle switch (therefore, no timer, if you're into that) and it uses more energy cause it basically is a mini hhot water heater. However, the extra water causes the water to be forced through the grounds fast, using a pressure gradient, rather than an impeller like a standard coffee pot. Coffee tastes great and the thing is durable as hell. IMO, if you're in the market for a new pot, spend the extra $$ and get a real machine like this one.

What? What kinda water do you have?

OK, that settles it, the Keurig he will get. With all of this love that you guys are showing for these newfangled brewers, you've got me thinking of getting one for myself. :thumbsup: Thanks for all of your input, this turned out to be rather easy. 0:)

We have a Keurig machine at work and it's very good. I don't think they are that loud and it's only for about 10 seconds. It's just a little more expensive for the coffee. Also, make sure you change the filter out every 6 months.

If you are not already planning to, consider tapping directly into the cold water line so all he has to do is push the button rather than pour the water in the top each time. Huge convenience factor.

Isn't that horse already out of the barn?

Don't you gotta buy their coffee and what not supplies? I don't drink coffee, but if somebody bought me a gift like this (strings attached in that one has to keep buying specific supplies)... I would shoot them.

Kinda like buying somebody a cellphone as a gift... Unless the thing came with a free lifetime plan... How can somebody expect a gift that has certain strings attched and may cost them more in price and committment?

Uh oh, that's a double fail on my part. Hmmmm, time to re-think this decision. I got both parents a cell phone back in '02....................Now they roll prepaid.