Paul POZluzny

rpcolosi

ok, so there is tons of bickering on this board about POZ sucking or us reaching for him or whatever. My personal feelings are he is a solid MLB. i don't think he is great and i don't think he sucks. he's slower then i'd like but he reads plays better then most MLBs. anyway - here is my draft break down from 2007 and determination in whether we drafted the "right" guy.

#34 overall - Pozluzny

LBs taken prior -

#10 - Patrick willis (right before marshawn, I believe this was originally the Bills top LB choice, at least Kiper had mentioned that), nothing needs to be said, best LB in this draft class, hands down. forming a great LB crew with TKO

#15 Lawrence Timmons - PIT - ILB, great pass rusher, 6 sacks this year and 5 last year. Does play in a 3-4 with a hell of a defensive coordinator

#25 - Jon Beason - CAR - MLB, seems to be a solid tackler, but i really dont watch him much. averages 3 ints/120 total tackles, pretty solid, only 2 career sacks

LBs after Poz (of note)

#47 DAvid Harris - NYJ - ILB, 3-4 - very solid LB, good pass rush and has speed. plays in a 3-4 and has a good number of sacks. pretty much like Timmons but on the Jets

#48 Justin Durant - MLB - his stats are pretty weak, i haven't heard much about him, nor do i think i should based off his career numbers.

Final thought - I think Poz is far better than Durant and maybe the same level as Beason. Timmons and Harris are clearly better, but it's hard to compare a 3-4 ILB with a MLB. that said, they are clearly much faster and better pass rushers then Poz. it's almost not even an option with him.

I think we did reach some for him, but based on our draft position and need, its understandable. I would have preferred Harris though.

the rest of this draft was bad for us... CJ Ah You? Dewayne Wright? John Wendling? wow... pretty awful.

Solution - Draft a REAL MLB and Move Poz to Strong side. He is a good LB but his lack of pass rush ability really limits his options. His above average cover skills and ability o read plays is huge and helps a lot in our scheme.

REAL solution that wont happen - go to a 3-4 and get another ILB...

Poz isn't the second coming of Derrick Thomas, but considering what he has playing around him (a converted safety and a street free agent), he has been very good in my opinion. He flys all over the field, and has to make his tackles as well as the ones the Defensive Line should be making, but haven't been all season long. He has been steady and should be one of our LB's for a long time, although a move to the outside might be a better fit for him.

Poz isn't the second coming of Derrick Thomas, but considering what he has playing around him (a converted safety and a street free agent), he has been very good in my opinion. He flys all over the field, and has to make his tackles as well as the ones the Defensive Line should be making, but haven't been all season long. He has been steady and should be one of our LB's for a long time, although a move to the outside might be a better fit for him.

And he's playing with 1.5 arms only right now. The guy is our best defensive player. Give him 2 big OLBs and all would see it. I'd like to see Maybin at OLB soon.

That's all fine and good, but at the end of the day Pussluzny doesn't make many plays, and definitely not against "A list" teams. He's a below avergage MLB and if the Bills ever expect to take it to the next level, they won't do it with Fabio as a 1st stringer at any LB position, it will always be a weak link.

If I'm the Bills new GM, one of the first things I'm going to do is take inventory of all of the players. I'm going to evaluate their performances and grade them myself without bias. When I look at Fabio, I see a player that clearly does not meet expectations. I'd bring in a player or two at MLB that is physical, wants to be in on the action every down, will show leadership and fire up a team, and wreak havoc. I'd bring Fabio to camp, but he wouldn't be listed as #1 on the depth chart... he'd have to prove he belongs there.

Fabio ain't the only player on the Bills in that category. Whitner, Lynch, Kelsay, Stroud, Ellison and Hangartner are players that are either average at best, or certainly not living up to expectations or their potential.

ok, so there is tons of bickering on this board about POZ sucking or us reaching for him or whatever. My personal feelings are he is a solid MLB. i don't think he is great and i don't think he sucks. he's slower then i'd like but he reads plays better then most MLBs. anyway - here is my draft break down from 2007 and determination in whether we drafted the "right" guy.

#34 overall - Pozluzny

LBs taken prior -

#10 - Patrick willis (right before marshawn, I believe this was originally the Bills top LB choice, at least Kiper had mentioned that), nothing needs to be said, best LB in this draft class, hands down. forming a great LB crew with TKO

#15 Lawrence Timmons - PIT - ILB, great pass rusher, 6 sacks this year and 5 last year. Does play in a 3-4 with a hell of a defensive coordinator

#25 - Jon Beason - CAR - MLB, seems to be a solid tackler, but i really dont watch him much. averages 3 ints/120 total tackles, pretty solid, only 2 career sacks

LBs after Poz (of note)

#47 DAvid Harris - NYJ - ILB, 3-4 - very solid LB, good pass rush and has speed. plays in a 3-4 and has a good number of sacks. pretty much like Timmons but on the Jets

#48 Justin Durant - MLB - his stats are pretty weak, i haven't heard much about him, nor do i think i should based off his career numbers.

Final thought - I think Poz is far better than Durant and maybe the same level as Beason. Timmons and Harris are clearly better, but it's hard to compare a 3-4 ILB with a MLB. that said, they are clearly much faster and better pass rushers then Poz. it's almost not even an option with him.

I think we did reach some for him, but based on our draft position and need, its understandable. I would have preferred Harris though.

the rest of this draft was bad for us... CJ Ah You? Dewayne Wright? John Wendling? wow... pretty awful.

Solution - Draft a REAL MLB and Move Poz to Strong side. He is a good LB but his lack of pass rush ability really limits his options. His above average cover skills and ability o read plays is huge and helps a lot in our scheme.

FYI - Jon Beason is an NFC pro bowler. This subject has been beaten to death. Refer to prior threads.

Poz has taken a beating on this site. I believe the posters that look at him honestly actually like Poz, but they like the Bills even more.

We just don't feel that MLB is the position that will suit his capabilities. We would all like to see what he would look like on the outside. Because he doesn't have the over all speed and instincts to play the inside well on a consistant basis.

Rolando McLain (Alabama, MLB) would look nice in the middle.

That's all fine and good, but at the end of the day Pussluzny doesn't make many plays, and definitely not against "A list" teams. He's a below avergage MLB and if the Bills ever expect to take it to the next level, they won't do it with Fabio as a 1st stringer at any LB position, it will always be a weak link.

If I'm the Bills new GM, one of the first things I'm going to do is take inventory of all of the players. I'm going to evaluate their performances and grade them myself without bias. When I look at Fabio, I see a player that clearly does not meet expectations. I'd bring in a player or two at MLB that is physical, wants to be in on the action every down, will show leadership and fire up a team, and wreak havoc. I'd bring Fabio to camp, but he wouldn't be listed as #1 on the depth chart... he'd have to prove he belongs there.

Fabio ain't the only player on the Bills in that category. Whitner, Lynch, Kelsay, Stroud, Ellison and Hangartner are players that are either average at best, or certainly not living up to expectations or their potential.

Agreed, Poz is basically a poor man's version of Brian Bosworth that makes everyone look like Bo Jackson. Poz and Boz..go figure. I didn't see where he performed better than DiGiorgio he just had better publicity coming into the league.

After a three year try out it's time to get true talent at the mlb position as well as other positions.

Does Whitner look any better than Byrd or Wilson or Scott? Not really, I think we have the type depth at this position that we should have at all of our defensive positions.

Frankly, I was negative on Poz up until the last few games...have watched him closely...he is actually improving, and may yet be a serviceable middle backer. I have seen plays that were not there first half of the season....and at increasing frequency. Since he lost a year....this is his second year. I think there is a good chance he will emerge totally next year. I am not yet giving up....my big concern, yet, is whether he is BRITTLE...and if he can stay healthy.

#34 overall - Pozluzny

LBs taken prior -

LBs after Poz (of note)

REAL solution is get whatever you can out of Pos while he's still under contract & never EVER again burn an early draft pick on any white LB from Penn State.

2007 was the year that Chris Brown was in the War Room. After the draft he said that the 49ers suspected that the Bills were interested in Patrick Willis, so they tried to make a trade with the Bills to move down a single spot. When the Bills declined, the 49ers took Willis -- and when the 49ers' selection was made, Brown said everyone in the Bills' War Room started laughing. I have to wonder what all the laughing was about. Marv went onto say that they had Poz ranked AHEAD of Willis and strongly considered drafting Poz with the #12 pick. However, Modrak talked him out of it, as he explained to Marv that Poz would possibly still be there in the 2nd round while Marshawn wouldn't.

That was also the draft where Ralph made overtures for drafting Wright in the 4th -- after the team had already invested a first rounder on Lynch AND had Fred Jackson on the team as well.

And we wonder why the team's playoff drought continues...

2007 was the year that Chris Brown was in the War Room. After the draft he said that the 49ers suspected that the Bills were interested in Patrick Willis, so they tried to make a trade with the Bills to move down a single spot. When the Bills declined, the 49ers took Willis -- and when the 49ers' selection was made, Brown said everyone in the Bills' War Room started laughing. I have to wonder what all the laughing was about. Marv went onto say that they had Poz ranked AHEAD of Willis and strongly considered drafting Poz with the #12 pick. However, Modrak talked him out of it, as he explained to Marv that Poz would possibly still be there in the 2nd round while Marshawn wouldn't.

That was also the draft where Ralph made overtures for drafting Wright in the 4th -- after the team had already invested a first rounder on Lynch AND had Fred Jackson on the team as well.

And we wonder why the team's playoff drought continues...

Um, the 49ers haven't made the playoffs either. I guess that's all Poz's fault too. :wallbash: