Interesting Brian Brohm Article

sfbillsfan2

Just scratching the nit you picked. I agree that they hadn't given up on him, but by putting a guy on the practice squad, their third QB, they were saying that they thought that getting the 53rd guy on the roster, including the 6 who don't dress for each game, was more important than making sure that Brohm was on the team. When you value your 3rd QB less than #53 on the roster, that says something.

They valued Brohm less than we valued Hamdan, because we kept Hamdan on the roster.

And it's not as if the Pack can have forgotten that teams sometimes really do claim guys off the practice squad. The Bills had claimed Jamon Meredith from the Pack not 5 weeks ago. They remembered that this stuff happens.

This is a game where coaches take calculated risks. Remember that punter for the Pats* who was also their #3 QB? It was an advantage for them, as it saved a roster spot for someone else at positions that get beat up a lot more than QB. It's not very often that a 3rd stringer is pressed into duty, and if your #1 goes down one week, you promote the the guy from the PS. They figured wrong that Brohm would stay if an offer was matched. Sometimes it happens. They have Rogers and while they did want to keep Brohm, in the larger scheme, it's not too big a loss.

Nobody missed on Peters. When he was on the practice squad, his first five weeks of his first year, he couldn't play any position in the league. He'd never played OL and as a 330 pounder, he was too big for TE, the position he was playing at.

Brohm was on the practice squad after the team had had a full year to see him play the position he had always played and would continue to play.

Nobody missed Brady either. Was he on the practice squad? They valued him lower than his true value, but he wasn't missed.

And it's not often that second-rounders get "missed." Jackson was no second-rounder.

Yeah, guys do get missed, but they are few and far between. The huge majority of guys who go on the practice squad either gradually move their way up or disappear off NFL rosters. Very few spend their first year on the roster and then move down to the practice squad and then move back up and become good players.

Brohm has a chance, I'm not saying he will definitely be a failure. But don't kid yourself he's more than a flier we took.

Actually, the Giants missed on Peters. They signed him from our PS for a few weeks, then released him, and then the Bills picked him back up. Some guys need work with coaches, time and experience to develop.

No argument here that Brohm is a total flier of a pick-up. If he doesn't cut it in OTAs and camp, he's likely gone. The best part is that the Bills didn't invest much to lose. Cut Hamdan and are probably paying Brohm similar $. I just wrote that I liked Brohm's moxie, in that he could have stuck with the Packers for a while with the cachet of a recent #2 pick and a FO that wouldn't want to admit failure so soon. Whereas with the Bills, if he doesn't show anything next August, we write it off and he's yesterday's newspaper. Kid's taking a $ risk to come here, himself.

I mean, how stupid do fans have to be to complain about getting a guy of his caliber this cheap and with no risk, who could easily have been the #1 pick and would have cost us an absurd amount of money to draft if he came out his Jr. year? We just got a great deal on a top prospect and people still b**ch on this site...unbelieveable. Let the kid get on the field first before you condem him to failure...

:lol: Tho, I wouldn't say he's a "top prospect."

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a game where coaches take calculated risks. Remember that punter for the Pats* who was also their #3 QB? It was an advantage for them, as it saved a roster spot for someone else at positions that get beat up a lot more than QB. It's not very often that a 3rd stringer is pressed into duty, and if your #1 goes down one week, you promote the the guy from the PS. They figured wrong that Brohm would stay if an offer was matched. Sometimes it happens. They have Rogers and while they did want to keep Brohm, in the larger scheme, it's not too big a loss.

Actually, the Giants missed on Peters. They signed him from our PS for a few weeks, then released him, and then the Bills picked him back up. Some guys need work with coaches, time and experience to develop.

No argument here that Brohm is a total flier of a pick-up. If he doesn't cut it in OTAs and camp, he's likely gone. The best part is that the Bills didn't invest much to lose. Cut Hamdan and are probably paying Brohm similar $. I just wrote that I liked Brohm's moxie, in that he could have stuck with the Packers for a while with the cachet of a recent #2 pick and a FO that wouldn't want to admit failure so soon. Whereas with the Bills, if he doesn't show anything next August, we write it off and he's yesterday's newspaper. Kid's taking a $ risk to come here, himself.

:lol: Tho, I wouldn't say he's a "top prospect."

I'm hoping that he does pan out, but I'm also wondering if Buffalo may be forced to draft a QB early just in-case Brohm doesn't pan out...If they do draft someone like Pike or Lefavour(sp), I'd hate to see that pick wasted...I'd much rather see a DT and OLB in round 2 and 3 to help the run defense...Buffalo would have to lose the rest of the year to even have a chance to get a first round worthy QB or reach for one that could be taken in later rounds...jmo

Brian Brohm may or may not be the answer for us at quarterback. That remains to be seen, but I do know one thing, this guy has to be brought along SLOWLY. We have destroyed any chances of JP and Trent being the guy because we rushed them into action and more times then not, that method proves to be disastrous. Not everyone out there can be a Big Ben, Flacco, Ryan, or Marino. These guys are the exception, not the rule. So for all of you calling for Brohm to start, just be patient. His time will come when he is ready. Putting him in, now, behind this O-line, will ruin this guy before he develops fully as a QB.

In the meantime, we can try to pry a McNabb away from Philly or even sign Vick or some other veteran free agent to man the position next year. Please, no first round QB's. They are more miss than hit. We need to use our draft picks on the lines and build up the middle of the field where we happen to be very weak.

Just my 2 cents.

Brian Brohm may or may not be the answer for us at quarterback. That remains to be seen, but I do know one thing, this guy has to be brought along SLOWLY. We have destroyed any chances of JP and Trent being the guy because we rushed them into action and more times then not, that method proves to be disastrous. Not everyone out there can be a Big Ben, Flacco, Ryan, or Marino. These guys are the exception, not the rule. So for all of you calling for Brohm to start, just be patient. His time will come when he is ready. Putting him in, now, behind this O-line, will ruin this guy before he develops fully as a QB.

In the meantime, we can try to pry a McNabb away from Philly or even sign Vick or some other veteran free agent to man the position next year. Please, no first round QB's. They are more miss than hit. We need to use our draft picks on the lines and build up the middle of the field where we happen to be very weak.

Just my 2 cents.

I agree with your point about the need to bring QBs along slowly. I also think that we should let Brohm learn the playbook before putting him out on the field. We do nothing for his confidence by setting him up to fail.

But I disagree with your assertion that JP was rushed into action. Losman spent his entire rookie year on the bench, but became the starter at the beginning of his second year. That's the way every first round QB's career should be. I'll grant that Losman spent a fair amount of his rookie year injured, thus depriving himself of opportunities to learn on the practice field. But there's still game film, plus mental reps, plus other stuff to get some value out of that time. Plus there's the practice time he had both before the injury and after his recovery.

Despite the injury, there's a huge difference between throwing a rookie QB into the fire on the one hand, and how Losman was handled on the other.

I agree with your point about the need to bring QBs along slowly. I also think that we should let Brohm learn the playbook before putting him out on the field. We do nothing for his confidence by setting him up to fail.

But I disagree with your assertion that JP was rushed into action. Losman spent his entire rookie year on the bench, but became the starter at the beginning of his second year. That's the way every first round QB's career should be. I'll grant that Losman spent a fair amount of his rookie year injured, thus depriving himself of opportunities to learn on the practice field. But there's still game film, plus mental reps, plus other stuff to get some value out of that time. Plus there's the practice time he had both before the injury and after his recovery.

Despite the injury, there's a huge difference between throwing a rookie QB into the fire on the one hand, and how Losman was handled on the other.

One year just doesn't cut it for some. McNair, Rodgers, Brady, Steve Young, and maybe even Alex Smith all needed more than one season to mature. There is no clear cut timetable. Some take longer than others.

I agree that nobody knows what to expect with Brohm but I really thin if the bring him along slowly he will have a much better shot than if we just throw him out on the field without knowing the playbook and not having thrown to any of the first team receivers.

I agree that nobody knows what to expect with Brohm but I really thin if the bring him along slowly he will have a much better shot than if we just throw him out on the field without knowing the playbook and not having thrown to any of the first team receivers.

Actually, as Brohm has been playing the game since he was single digits old, and that since he played in a more NFL style offense in college, he should have enough background in studying playbooks to have a shot at playing a few games this year for the Bills, if not for any reason but to see what they've got. While some QB's take longer than others to get the feel for the NFL game and speed, let's not make out the playbook to being on par with quantum physics for crying out loud.

I am interested in him as well. He floudered in Greenbay where Mccarthy is a QB guru. They liked him enough to try and hide him on their practice squad. They even matched the Bills Offer. That says something at least. He's got the arm and Size to be a NFL QB. If he can't grasp the mental part which he reportedly had issues with then he will be a journeyman QB.

The Bills seem impressed with him but that doesn't say much given their track record with QB's. Holcomb, JP, Trent, Fitz have all been terrible.

dont forget Nall...

I like the pickup of brohm, and also liked him coming out of college. Lets face it, fitz is a viable backup, and I seriously doubt trent will have any backing from the new regime. Id say get dan lefevour in the draft, keep brohm and fitz, and have a qb battle, 2010 will be another rebuild anyway, but whoever surfaces they need to be the guy unless they prove completely incapable, not the way losman was jerked around by mularkey. identify ur starter, and stick with him, QB's are fragile, and screwing with their ego is a death stroke, it might as well be a wasted pick (losman). Also, the bills brass should try building a team, like a gm that can work with the coach, the coach that formulates the offensive gameplan around his QB's strength and weapons. just a thought