Interesting Brian Brohm Article

sfbillsfan2

I would not start any comparisons to Brees quite yet.

Brees had actually started games for SD and had a good final season (pre-injury) before they let him go in favor of Rivers. Brohm has seen limited, scrub-time preseason action. As parallels go, it sounds more like a perpendicular. We have no idea how Brohm will measure up when things count... he is a blank slate. It'll be for the next regime to figure out where they want him.

Picking a nit: GB didn't "give up on" Brohm. Looks like they were trying to essentially gain a roster spot by stashing Brohm on the PS (not a bad idea if you can do it). They tried to hang onto him by matching the 2-year offer.

We essentially poached a 2nd-round pick from GB, who hasn't had much of a chance to show anything.

Don't know about this. You don't try to "hide" a much decorated QB prospect whose bursting with talent on the PS. It would seem also that there was no deal with the player re matching any offers and joining the active roster. I also wonder why he sat there for two months before the light went on somewhere (at OBD). Teams comb PSs for help meticulously.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look at some of the parallels between Brohm and Drew Brees:
  • Both quarterbacks were highly accomplished pocket passers at the college level
  • Neither quarterback was known for being mobile
  • Both quarterbacks were taken in the early second round
  • Both quarterbacks were given up on by the team that drafted them

There are some differences though. Drew Brees was shown much more patience, and given a much better opportunity, in San Diego than Brohm received in Green Bay. On the latter team, the performance of Aaron Rodgers as well as that backup meant that Green Bay was set at both starting and backup QB either with or without Brohm. That's one of the absolute last places I'd want to be if I was an unproven QB trying to become a starter in the NFL.

While there's absolutely no guarantee that Brohm will become the next Drew Brees story, he has a much better chance of becoming one than Losman ever did. Unlike Brees or Brohm, Losman was never an accomplished pocket passer at the college level. Losman was drafted because of his physical gifts.

If Edward' Arm likes him there is good news and better news.

The good news:

At least we know we need to draft someone quick.

The better news:

With Holcomb, Edwards and Brohm all now in the stable, there is only .5 of a QB left to misjudge.

Don't know about this. You don't try to "hide" a much decorated QB prospect whose bursting with talent on the PS. It would seem also that there was no deal with the player re matching any offers and joining the active roster. I also wonder why he sat there for two months before the light went on somewhere (at OBD). Teams comb PSs for help meticulously.

I think the light didn't go on at OBD because they were under the belief that TE was their franchise QB. Raiding the Packers' before they decided to give up on TE would have completely undermined him.

I think the light didn't go on at OBD because they were under the belief that TE was their franchise QB. Raiding the Packers' before they decided to give up on TE would have completely undermined him.

I mean the other 30 teams too. Agree with your comments re Brees though. Saw a 2002 Chargers game. No question that guy could already play at a high level.

Egg Zactly.

Sorry, but this is very dissimilar to Nall. Nall was a 5th rounder, whom the Bills picked up in his 4th year in the league.

Brohm was a pretty highly thought of rookie last year, 3rd QB taken behind Ryan and Flacco. There has been little to evaluate him on. I'm not going to say that he's the next Tom Brady, but I also wouldn't say he's a Drew Henson. It usually takes time for QBs to develop and get acclimated to the NFL. He's an unknown commodity beyond a gut assessment. I think his collegiate record demands that we give him practice time here on out, OTAs and a camp to get more of an idea about him. Really don't want him behind this OL as it is currently; that would be a totally unfair judgment.

Sorry, but this is very dissimilar to Nall. Nall was a 5th rounder, whom the Bills picked up in his 4th year in the league.

Brohm was a pretty highly thought of rookie last year, 3rd QB taken behind Ryan and Flacco. There has been little to evaluate him on. I'm not going to say that he's the next Tom Brady, but I also wouldn't say he's a Drew Henson. It usually takes time for QBs to develop and get acclimated to the NFL. He's an unknown commodity beyond a gut assessment. I think his collegiate record demands that we give him practice time here on out, OTAs and a camp to get more of an idea about him. Really don't want him behind this OL as it is currently; that would be a totally unfair judgment.

:rolleyes:<_< Exactly.

I wonder how good Brohm could be, since in two years he couldn't make the Packers 53 man team.

Brohm did make the Packers team 2 years in a row. Brohm was actually put on the Practice squad once out Defense took some beating and needed to make room for roster spots. With Rodgers and Flynn already on the roster, QB was a position where our depth was of least importance.

Don't understand the comment in the article that he is really very competitive but hides it well. I have never known a competitive football player that can or feels that he even needs to hide it. The idea is more like showing it. That is called leadership.

Brohm had a great college carreer, no question, including in his senior year when Loiusville fell out of bowl contention because of defensive, not offensive woes. One problem is that the Cardinals used a one read scheme for the QB. He knew exactly where he was going with the ball before taking the snap. No reads, progressions etc... none of the things that the pro game, and pro defenses, impose on the QB position. He has to date not shown that he can handle these demands.

Hope things work out for him here in Buff or elsewhere, since he seems to want to play. No question he has some skills.

Assuming the bolded statement is true, it would be extremely discouraging. :lol: It would suggest that, if there's a QB wort taking when our first round pick comes around, we should grab him.

I am interested in him as well. He floudered in Greenbay where Mccarthy is a QB guru. They liked him enough to try and hide him on their practice squad.

I wouldn't say he foundered <sic> in Green Bay. He was a high #2 choice during that weird, nebulous period after Favre left but before it became clear that Aaron Rodgers was any good. Once Rodgers showed he could play there wasn't a place for Brohm. It's not as though Brohm went out and stunk it up and they went back to Rodgers, he was blocked by a good, more experienced, more highly paid player.

It tells you something that they matched the Bills offer. If they thought he flat-out stunk they'd have let him walk. This kid would have been the #1 pick in the draft had he come out in 2007. If getting picked in round two and having to sit for a year+ after being the golden boy since high school shook the kid's ego a little bit would you be surprised? Look at it this way, the Bills didn't have to suffer through that. They get to have him for nothing and if he IS a real NFL QB that ego bruise will have lit a pretty big fire inside him. If it didn't then he's a chump but we didn't have to burn a high #2 to find out.

As much as I want to see him, I don't think they'll play him this year unless they have to because of the line. The last thing you want to do right now is run a reclamation project out there behind that mess of a line. You'll ruin him for good. They are getting a good long look at what they have with him before the off-season so they can decide if they HAVE to go QB high or if they can address either of the lines at the top of rd 1. If it came down to it, I'd much rather have Suh or Cody than ANY of the QBs out there next year.

Jason Peters was a UDFA and sat on the PS as well. Fred Jackson played in Europe and AFL2. Tom Brady was a 6th round pick Teams miss people all the time.

I would not start any comparisons to Brees quite yet.

Brees had actually started games for SD and had a good final season (pre-injury) before they let him go in favor of Rivers. Brohm has seen limited, scrub-time preseason action. As parallels go, it sounds more like a perpendicular. We have no idea how Brohm will measure up when things count... he is a blank slate. It'll be for the next regime to figure out where they want him.

Picking a nit: GB didn't "give up on" Brohm. Looks like they were trying to essentially gain a roster spot by stashing Brohm on the PS (not a bad idea if you can do it). They tried to hang onto him by matching the 2-year offer.

We essentially poached a 2nd-round pick from GB, who hasn't had much of a chance to show anything.

Just scratching the nit you picked. I agree that they hadn't given up on him, but by putting a guy on the practice squad, their third QB, they were saying that they thought that getting the 53rd guy on the roster, including the 6 who don't dress for each game, was more important than making sure that Brohm was on the team. When you value your 3rd QB less than #53 on the roster, that says something.

They valued Brohm less than we valued Hamdan, because we kept Hamdan on the roster.

And it's not as if the Pack can have forgotten that teams sometimes really do claim guys off the practice squad. The Bills had claimed Jamon Meredith from the Pack not 5 weeks ago. They remembered that this stuff happens.

Look at some of the parallels between Brohm and Drew Brees:
  • Both quarterbacks were highly accomplished pocket passers at the college level
  • Neither quarterback was known for being mobile
  • Both quarterbacks were taken in the early second round
  • Both quarterbacks were given up on by the team that drafted them

There are some differences though. Drew Brees was shown much more patience, and given a much better opportunity, in San Diego than Brohm received in Green Bay. On the latter team, the performance of Aaron Rodgers as well as that backup meant that Green Bay was set at both starting and backup QB either with or without Brohm. That's one of the absolute last places I'd want to be if I was an unproven QB trying to become a starter in the NFL.

While there's absolutely no guarantee that Brohm will become the next Drew Brees story, he has a much better chance of becoming one than Losman ever did. Unlike Brees or Brohm, Losman was never an accomplished pocket passer at the college level. Losman was drafted because of his physical gifts.

I don't remember Brees ever being beaten out by a seventh-round QB from LSU for the 2nd string QB job the way that Brohm was beaten out by ... hold for it ... Matt Flynn. Who?

Brees was never a third-stringer in the NFL.

Brees wasn't picked higher because of his less-than-ideal height. Yet he won the #1 job in his first season in the pros

The reason Losman was never a pocked passer at the college level was because his OL couldn't produce a pocket. When there was one, he was able to use it.

One big advantage that Brohm has over Losman is that he never suffered through having Fairchild or Schonert as OC, or Jauron, Mularkey or Gregg Williams as his head coach. No telling how good Losman might have become without having to suffer those handicaps.

There is little reason to compare Brees and Brohm. Brees quickly became a starter. Brohm quickly went on the practice squad.

Jason Peters was a UDFA and sat on the PS as well. Fred Jackson played in Europe and AFL2. Tom Brady was a 6th round pick Teams miss people all the time.

Nobody missed on Peters. When he was on the practice squad, his first five weeks of his first year, he couldn't play any position in the league. He'd never played OL and as a 330 pounder, he was too big for TE, the position he was playing at.

Brohm was on the practice squad after the team had had a full year to see him play the position he had always played and would continue to play.

Nobody missed Brady either. Was he on the practice squad? They valued him lower than his true value, but he wasn't missed.

And it's not often that second-rounders get "missed." Jackson was no second-rounder.

Yeah, guys do get missed, but they are few and far between. The huge majority of guys who go on the practice squad either gradually move their way up or disappear off NFL rosters. Very few spend their first year on the roster and then move down to the practice squad and then move back up and become good players.

Brohm has a chance, I'm not saying he will definitely be a failure. But don't kid yourself he's more than a flier we took.

I wonder how good Brohm could be, since in two years he couldn't make the Packers 53 man team.

Brohm did make the Packers team 2 years in a row. Brohm was actually put on the Practice squad once out Defense took some beating and needed to make room for roster spots. With Rodgers and Flynn already on the roster, QB was a position where our depth was of least importance.
I don't think either of those is completely accurate. He made the 53 man roster last season, as the 3rd QB, and never got on the field in the regular season. I just checked the gamebook at nfl.com for the Packers week 1 game this season, and he wasn't listed. So he didn't make the final 53 this season.

I just finished watching Brohm in the preseason game played earlier this season. While it's only one game, I didn't see much of anything that left a positive impression. He didn't throw down the field (i.e. more than 10 yards) very often, but when he did more often than not it was a poor decision, poor throw, or both.

Just scratching the nit you picked. I agree that they hadn't given up on him, but by putting a guy on the practice squad, their third QB, they were saying that they thought that getting the 53rd guy on the roster, including the 6 who don't dress for each game, was more important than making sure that Brohm was on the team. When you value your 3rd QB less than #53 on the roster, that says something.

They valued Brohm less than we valued Hamdan, because we kept Hamdan on the roster.

And it's not as if the Pack can have forgotten that teams sometimes really do claim guys off the practice squad. The Bills had claimed Jamon Meredith from the Pack not 5 weeks ago. They remembered that this stuff happens.

What are you talking about? A lot of teams dont dress 3 QB's on game day. The fact he was on the PS as a 3rd QB doesnt say nearly as much as the fact they tried to match our offer for a QB they dont need with a rising young start in Rodgers. First off, GB loves the guy backing up Rodgers, Flynn. Secondly they love Rodgers. Thirdly, the Packers see Flynn as more ready to play than Brohm...big deal since its only his second year...doesnt mean he is a bust, means they felt Flynn was more ready than Brohm right now. You dress players that are going to play or may need to play due to injury. A lot of teams dont carry 3 QB's...we did because all 3 suck, and one of them is made of glass...

I am astonished at how some people are so down on a guy 3 years removed from about to be a top 5 pick, probably even the #1 overall choice. He was a second round pick the following year that we got for super cheap...a guy who should have been a #1 pick...a guy with big time upside...There literally hasnt been a QB on this team with more upside than him since Jim Kelly retired...seriously, try and name one guy we got that had as much upside as him. Now factor in how cheap we got him and we are getting him with a new regime coming in to hopefully not flounder his potential too.

This is a big win for us...whether he pans out is another story, but man, we should be stoked to have a kid of his caliber on our squad with having to give up nothing. I was praying for us to draft him that year when he slipped, now I am stoked we get to see what he can do. He is a smart QB with a big arm...who knows if he can become a great QB, but we have nothing at risk here with everything to gain...

I mean, how stupid do fans have to be to complain about getting a guy of his caliber this cheap and with no risk, who could easily have been the #1 pick and would have cost us an absurd amount of money to draft if he came out his Jr. year? We just got a great deal on a top prospect and people still b**ch on this site...unbelieveable. Let the kid get on the field first before you condem him to failure...

Looking at your mock draft Tsaikotic. Bruce Campbell in the first round is a great idea. I like it. Buffalo's been needing someone to take care of this Zombie problem for awhile.

first guy he pancakes he needs to stand over him and say something like.."Good, bad...I'm the guy with the gun" :lol:

I don't remember Brees ever being beaten out by a seventh-round QB from LSU for the 2nd string QB job the way that Brohm was beaten out by ... hold for it ... Matt Flynn. Who?

Brees was never a third-stringer in the NFL.

Brees wasn't picked higher because of his less-than-ideal height. Yet he won the #1 job in his first season in the pros

The reason Losman was never a pocked passer at the college level was because his OL couldn't produce a pocket. When there was one, he was able to use it.

One big advantage that Brohm has over Losman is that he never suffered through having Fairchild or Schonert as OC, or Jauron, Mularkey or Gregg Williams as his head coach. No telling how good Losman might have become without having to suffer those handicaps.

There is little reason to compare Brees and Brohm. Brees quickly became a starter. Brohm quickly went on the practice squad.

You know the reason Brees one the job from day 1 is that he was competing with guys like Craig Ehlo for the starting job in San Diego. Flutie might have been there as well but he was like 42 if he was. In other words Brees didnt win a starting job he was handed one.