It's official! #2 Texas vs # 1 Alabama

ProjectPat

You realize that Boise tried to put a decent schedule together but all of those "big-time" programs refused to play them? That is yet another flaw in the BCS.

Yes, and the only jabroni's to man up and play Boise were the Pac 10 Champion/Rose Bowl Champion Ducks of Oregon... and they done took their medicine at the hands of the Broncos... BOYEEEEE. Ye Ole' hath spoken! TCU is "The Whip" as well, but make no mistake... if Boise was a McDonald's Value Menu Item, they'd be dubbed THE REAL McDeal

This BCS championship idea is a bunch of crap. There are 120 teams in D1-FBS. A playoff would need at least 32 teams to make any sense. College football teams are not going to play an extra 5 games to determine a champion. I say eliminate the pretense at choosing a national champion. Let the teams just try to win their conferences and have fun in whatever bowl games they get invited to.

humbug

This BCS championship idea is a bunch of crap.

Actually, it's not. It's just that the BCS is the championship of six specific conferences, not the championship of the entire country.

Unfortunately there is no national championship contested in I-A college football.

Actually, it's not. It's just that the BCS is the championship of six specific conferences, not the championship of the entire country.

Unfortunately there is no national championship contested in I-A college football.

The irony being the BCS is gonna pay two non BCS teams to play for the "non bcs teams national championship", a game that should be a lot better than the actual BCS championship game!

The irony being the BCS is gonna pay two non BCS teams to play for the "non bcs teams national championship", a game that should be a lot better than the actual BCS championship game!

I'd like a playoff as well but this argument that TCU deserves it more than Texas is just plain wrong. TCU plays a much easier schedule and always plays the underdog role whenever it plays a 'major conference' team. Two years ago (2007), TCU played Texas in the second or third week when both were still undefeated. All the writers were saying how it would be the game that showed how far the second tier programs have come. TCU supposively had its 'best team' in 40 years. The result: it was a rout. The score, 35-13, was much, much closer than the game. Case closed.

When Boise St. or TCU plays a 'big boy' when the 'big boy' has something major to lose, they get thumped. When the emotions going into the game are lopsided ("here's our chance to show the world" versus "this isn't the bowl we hoped for"), then TCU and Boise St. do well. They are certainly capable of pulling an upset. But put them into one of the major conferences, and they are 7-5 or 8-4, good but not world beaters.

I'd like a playoff as well but this argument that TCU deserves it more than Texas is just plain wrong. TCU plays a much easier schedule and always plays the underdog role whenever it plays a 'major conference' team. Two years ago (2007), TCU played Texas in the second or third week when both were still undefeated. All the writers were saying how it would be the game that showed how far the second tier programs have come. TCU supposively had its 'best team' in 40 years. The result: it was a rout. The score, 35-13, was much, much closer than the game. Case closed.

When Boise St. or TCU plays a 'big boy' when the 'big boy' has something major to lose, they get thumped. When the emotions going into the game are lopsided ("here's our chance to show the world" versus "this isn't the bowl we hoped for"), then TCU and Boise St. do well. They are certainly capable of pulling an upset. But put them into one of the major conferences, and they are 7-5 or 8-4, good but not world beaters.

Oklahoma and Oregon beg to differ...

See, this is EXACTLY what the BCS apologists counter with ("well, if they played in xxx conference, they'd only be 8-4"). How can anyone with a knowledge of the unexpected nature of sports, say this with any certainty?!?

The BCS is a joke. Put in place to insure that the "big" colleges get their payouts.

The BCS is a joke. Put in place to insure that the "big" colleges get their payouts.

Sure it is. And there are 31 bowl games this year, if I correctly counted them up in my morning newspaper...62 teams. PSU is in one, and watching PSU is like watching a re-run of Weekend at Bernie's- everybody knows the guy is dead, but everybody pretends.

It's all about $$$, and has been so for several years. Colleges have turned down bids, because the payoff was bad. I think that Pitt, for example, faces just such...

For as great as college football is, this system is a complete joke. It's like making out with a super model and then she tells you she's going home to feed her cat.

They have a chance to put one of the "little guys" against a big program and what do we end up with? Boise vs. TCU. What does that prove? The winner gets to settle for an unbeaten #2 spot (if they even get that)? Especially after Utah just smoked Alabama last year.

I love how every other NCAA sport can find out a playoff system. Newsflash NCAA: no one under 40 gives a crap about the history of the Rose Bowl. We want a true champion. And while Alabama probably is the best team in the country, it would be nice if we knew for 100% certainty.

But put them into one of the major conferences, and they are 7-5 or 8-4, good but not world beaters.

only way to prove it is to let them play! something they beg the BCS to do!!

for each Texas victory over TCU there is a Utah beating Bama or a Boisé beating Oregon or Oklahoma...

BTW one of the best stories about the BCS mess i've readen:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news...o&type=lgns