Is Poz NFL's worst starting MLB?

Latason

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No Poz is not the worst MLB in the NFL, He's a little undersized and he's not a particularly good pass defender but he plays with heart and on this team their are probably 17 starters who are worst at their positions than he is- I have ripped Poz in the past but that's more about the Jackass fans who ripped Fletcher and anointed Poz even though Poz has most of the same problems Fletcher had without Fletcher's pass defense, ints, forced fumbles and sack numbers-of course he's a polite Polish kid who says the right things and on this board that seems to matter more than on field production.

IMO, LB is our biggest need on defense. It would be nice to upgrade at DT, but both stroud and williams are starting caliber players. Mitchell when healthy is ok, poz is bleh the rest are garbage. a switch to -34 we could move maybin outside opposite mitchell...then we would need a stud MLB to make up for poz's inability to make most plays.

LT round 1, Qb round 2, MLB round 3, DT round 4, the rest backup oline, dline, lb. Maybe a WR mixed in if T.O. leaves. Just my take

Poz plays on one of the worst defensive teams in the league with a 33 year old journeyman on one side and a saftey on his other side. Not exactly a strong supporting cast.

I support Poz and while he does make some mistakes i highly disagree with you all that he is horrible. One player does not make the defense.

in a game where the Jets run for 250 yards, how can your MLB not have a single tackle in the first half?

I remember....I think it was somewhere between 02-04 because I was still working for the Bisons at the time. Anyway, he was murdered. I think he was at a party and people came in with guns or something and he tried to fight them off. Anways, He stayed in the Buffalo area after his career, not so much of him loving Buffalo, but because he was caught up in the wrong crowd and didn't save a penny during his career. He had several run ins with the law prior to his death, and then was just murdered. Sad story indeed.

wow...that is sad....I still remember a game we played against Denver at home....he had like 25 tackles....I think Terrell Davis had like 50 carries in that game

I constantly see postings calling for upgrades to our defensive line and OLB......and while I agree we need upgrades in these areas, the heart and soul of the defense should be the MLB...and I can't think of a single NFL team that has a worse starting MLB than we do....

sure Poz makes lots of tackles, but how many of these tackles are for gains of less than 5 yards??....we need a tough force that can strip blockers and make plays near the line of scrimmage, not 5-10 yards downfield....

I would keep Poz, but move him to OLB....and find an NFL caliber MLB to man the middle and lead our defense.

P.S....for the record, outside of our secondary, let's give some kudos to Kyle Williams.....a solid consistent force all season and a player to complement rather than replace!

Our upgrade at OLB should be Poz. He is better suited for it.

Jeez what a surprise.

Poz

Kelsay

Denney

Schobel

What a collection of overrated and overpaid stiffs. Oh Sorry, I gotta remove Denney from that list, he is just simply a scrub :thumbsup:

Schobel is one of the best DEs in the game sorry you don't agree but I think most of the O-linemen he plays against would.

I AM SO fing sick & tired of watching Bills football minus LB's who don't sack the opponant's Qb and hit people hard. Small athletic guys who chase people down. Pretty gay scheme if you ask me. Painful.

I want killers... guys like Paup, Spielman, Biscuit, LT, and maybe a real killer like Ray Lewis. Bring some passion and a mean streak to the game and leave the eye shadow at home.

I am so sick of a Defense that contains the word Tampa- I could puke.

I don't care if its a 3-4, 4-3, 4-6, Eagle, Confusion or big fat guy pork sandwich defense. Just try to hurt the opposition, play hard, play smart and get to the QB.

WE do get to the QB thats why teams don't pass against us that and one of the best secondaries in the league but we need to shift Poz to the out side and bring in some rabid beast to play the middle.

I constantly see postings calling for upgrades to our defensive line and OLB......and while I agree we need upgrades in these areas, the heart and soul of the defense should be the MLB...and I can't think of a single NFL team that has a worse starting MLB than we do....

sure Poz makes lots of tackles, but how many of these tackles are for gains of less than 5 yards??....we need a tough force that can strip blockers and make plays near the line of scrimmage, not 5-10 yards downfield....

I would keep Poz, but move him to OLB....and find an NFL caliber MLB to man the middle and lead our defense.

P.S....for the record, outside of our secondary, let's give some kudos to Kyle Williams.....a solid consistent force all season and a player to complement rather than replace!

Ive have always felt he is a over rated BUM!!!

Poz is NOT the problem and Fletcher was beyond undersized and made most of his tackles 10yds in the backfield. Poz is not your ideal MLB in a tampa II because he isn't fast. He is the ideal SS backer. however, the guy makes plenty of hits at the LOS and yes gets dragged 2-3 yards for a 2 yd gain. newsflash - this happens to just about every MLB in the game. go watch some other teams. You're going to see ray lewis make tackles he gets dragged on. same with aaron curry. same with urlacher, etc.

our problem is the other 2 are LBs are VERY slow and undersized. Poz is strong enough to shed blockers but he is froced to take bad angles because of his lack of speed. He is ideal for strong side if we ever drafted some competent LBs.

also - i hate to rain on everyones parade, but ellison was having a pretty damn good year. and i can't stand the guy

Stroud is still our best player on O and D. Kyle Williams is the best draft pick of the Levy era. Lynch/Jackson are still a great problem to have. And with the right coaching Trent could be saved (and so could JP).

bring in Gabriel please and have him hire a HC - maybe Fassell, maybe Billick, but not Shanny for $10mil/year. spend that on some talented players

Agree with almost everything you say with exception of Trent and JP being viable NFL starters. If they were they would not be as terrible as they have been. But everything else I agree, especially in regards to LB play and having perspective by watching other games. I see Lynch and Jackson drag plenty of other MLBs 2,3,4,5 yards extra. It happens in the NFL!

I mostly agree that the Bills need a GM more than a coach b/c you can have a serviceable coach who motivates players, uses time-outs well and challenges well and with very good players you'll do fine. It is the players that make the difference and MOST imprtant is the QB position. So you can bring in whatever coach you want but without a great QB this team will never be great. Find the GM to do that and Gabriel would defintely be a very good choice, and better yet, has Buffalo ties. This team is really not that far off with a few players. As bad as they have been this year they have been in every game in the 4th quarter with chances to win.

Lots of comparisons were made between Poz and Shane Conlan when we drafted him....sorry...he's no Shane Conlan thats for sure. I don't think he's the worst starting MLB in the leage...he certainly isn't in the top 20.

This is correct. For a guy who weighs 240, he gets dragged a lot. I see him as serviceable, no more.

We can get into the 'whole versus the sum of it's parts dialogue' to defend his play, but Poz hasn't shown much in a position where instinct and athleticism can trump experience (or a weak defense line).

Forced a fumble against the Jets, though we didn't recover. Poz isn't the problem.

Jeez what a surprise.

Poz

Kelsay

Denney

Schobel

What a collection of overrated and overpaid stiffs. Oh Sorry, I gotta remove Denney from that list, he is just simply a scrub :thumbsup:

So Schobel isn't as flashy and doesn't get as much "pub"... because he plays on a terrible team with an awful defense. But when you say he is a "stiff"... It shows how little you know about this game. The guy is quietly putting together a solid season (7 Sacks) after being injured for all but the first 5 games of last season.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I totally agree. We need to shore up the middle of the D. Get someone like Brandon Spikes to man the ILB position, get a good DT in the draft to rotate with 99 /95 and pick up a true Strong Safety. Up the middle is where we are truly getting hurt.

OBTW - just maybe if Stevie Johnson and Hardy were in the lineup we'd do better then 1 of 11 on 3rd downs, move the ball and keep the other guys off the field.

I haven't been a fan of Poz lately, but I thought he stood out on many plays vs. the Jets. The Bills are way too small right now up front, especially at LB. Stats DON'T lie in this case---look at the tackles made in the Jets game. Three out of the five top Bills tacklers were DB's!!!! The top five Jets are all DE/LB's.

And to think we were ONE pick away from getting Patrick Willis before Mariucchi grabbed him. Although Levy said later he wasn't going to pick him anyway. (yeah Marv, why would you want to get the NFL defensive rookie of the year and perennial pro bowler to run the middle of your defense....?)