Is Poz NFL's worst starting MLB?

Latason

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I constantly see postings calling for upgrades to our defensive line and OLB......and while I agree we need upgrades in these areas, the heart and soul of the defense should be the MLB...and I can't think of a single NFL team that has a worse starting MLB than we do....

sure Poz makes lots of tackles, but how many of these tackles are for gains of less than 5 yards??....we need a tough force that can strip blockers and make plays near the line of scrimmage, not 5-10 yards downfield....

I would keep Poz, but move him to OLB....and find an NFL caliber MLB to man the middle and lead our defense.

P.S....for the record, outside of our secondary, let's give some kudos to Kyle Williams.....a solid consistent force all season and a player to complement rather than replace!

I also liked the hit on Clemmon's that caused a fumble.

Poz plays on one of the worst defensive teams in the league with a 33 year old journeyman on one side and a saftey on his other side. Not exactly a strong supporting cast.

I support Poz and while he does make some mistakes i highly disagree with you all that he is horrible. One player does not make the defense.

yea LB play has nothing to do with our undersized DE's sucking ass. Poz isnt an all pro LB but cmon... Anyone whos played LB knows you cant make plays with all those OL downfield.

Thank you someone finally says it, there is not one wannabe pro scout or GM on this board that can say with any certainty that any of the LB or some of the so called LB on this team is or is not better or worse than any other teams.

wow....I just googled Covington and realized that he had passed away! I do not recall hearing about this...anyone know what happened?

I remember....I think it was somewhere between 02-04 because I was still working for the Bisons at the time. Anyway, he was murdered. I think he was at a party and people came in with guns or something and he tried to fight them off. Anways, He stayed in the Buffalo area after his career, not so much of him loving Buffalo, but because he was caught up in the wrong crowd and didn't save a penny during his career. He had several run ins with the law prior to his death, and then was just murdered. Sad story indeed.

I wouldnt say he is the worst in the league. But anyone that thinks he is a bright spot on our Defense/Team is just delusional. Yes the guy has it rough because the OL is always downfield but cmon. The guy takes bad angles, always chasing from behind, always out of position. Good MLB's are ALWAYS in the the right place, and ALWAYS take the right angles, and can overcome the blocks form the OL. Watch a team like Baltimore, or San Francisco and pay attention to their MLB's. They dictate what the offenses do around them. Not the other way around. Poz doesnt do that. He always plays catch-up with what the offense is doing. I dont think he is a complete waste at MLB. but I do think he is better suited in a 3-4. If he was one of 2 MLB's in a 3-4 he might be stronger.

And anyone that uses the excuse that he is still playing with a bummed arm can think about why is this guy always injured. We have had him for 3 years now and hes only made about 60% of the games (im not taking the time to look up how many games hes missed but this seems right).

I constantly see postings calling for upgrades to our defensive line and OLB......and while I agree we need upgrades in these areas, the heart and soul of the defense should be the MLB...and I can't think of a single NFL team that has a worse starting MLB than we do....

sure Poz makes lots of tackles, but how many of these tackles are for gains of less than 5 yards??....we need a tough force that can strip blockers and make plays near the line of scrimmage, not 5-10 yards downfield....

I would keep Poz, but move him to OLB....and find an NFL caliber MLB to man the middle and lead our defense.

P.S....for the record, outside of our secondary, let's give some kudos to Kyle Williams.....a solid consistent force all season and a player to complement rather than replace!

Another clueless post.

And anyone that uses the excuse that he is still playing with a bummed arm can think about why is this guy always injured. We have had him for 3 years now and hes only made about 60% of the games (im not taking the time to look up how many games hes missed but this seems right).

i'll play.......

why is he always injured?

because mcgee(i think it was mcgee) broke his arm with his helmet in his rookie year.

then, the doctors that repaired the arm came out and said they did it incorrectly, leading to the broken bone this year.

that is why he seems to "always be injured"---- nothing poz could do to prevent it

Go watch other NFL games. Poz is likely in the 10-15 range for MLBs. People do realize that MLBs get beat all the time. Ray Lewis makes tackles 10 yards down the field. For reference Poz has missed how many games this year? He has 74 tackles 1 sack 3 forced fumbles and an INT. Ray Lewis has 92 tackles 2 sacks and 2 FF and no INTs. Poz's stats are actually better per game considering all the time he lost. He also has nowhere near the defensive line that Baltimore does in front of him.

He certainly makes mistakes but so do every other MLB in the NFL. People are WAAAAAY overreacting calling him the worst? Really, people get some perspective.

after being at that stupid horrendus game last night i confirmed that i dont' like the defense. they suck. i was against wanting to move to the 3-4 because of a lack of players we have for that system. but i think you could make spencer johnson a 3-4 end, maybe marcus or kyle the other end, our secondary is good, move maybin to OLB, either keep poz for starter or reserve for middle. Regardless of the system i would like bills to target Kirk Morrison in FA from Oakland. He is 6' 2, 240 pounds and is entering his prime as a 27 year old. he has 89 tackles so far this year, but he does not make alot of big plays. He is regarded as being stout in run support. I think he would be one realy good addition the bills should make in the offseason. If Carolina doesn't resign Thomas Davis i would hope the front office jumps at him. who knows? im expecting to be let down in the offseason.

We said the same thing about London Fletcher..always making tackles from behind.... until we put Pat Williams in front of him, then he was all world. Without Williams, London was exposed and he made all his tackles downfield. The D needs at least one big guy to take on two lineman on running plays so the MLB can make a play without a guard knocking him back 10 yards. The best thing Poz can do is cut that fugly hair of his. He looks like a blonde I used to date which says something about both of us.

She must have been ugly

Poz is NOT the problem and Fletcher was beyond undersized and made most of his tackles 10yds in the backfield. Poz is not your ideal MLB in a tampa II because he isn't fast. He is the ideal SS backer. however, the guy makes plenty of hits at the LOS and yes gets dragged 2-3 yards for a 2 yd gain. newsflash - this happens to just about every MLB in the game. go watch some other teams. You're going to see ray lewis make tackles he gets dragged on. same with aaron curry. same with urlacher, etc.

our problem is the other 2 are LBs are VERY slow and undersized. Poz is strong enough to shed blockers but he is froced to take bad angles because of his lack of speed. He is ideal for strong side if we ever drafted some competent LBs.

also - i hate to rain on everyones parade, but ellison was having a pretty damn good year. and i can't stand the guy

Stroud is still our best player on O and D. Kyle Williams is the best draft pick of the Levy era. Lynch/Jackson are still a great problem to have. And with the right coaching Trent could be saved (and so could JP).

bring in Gabriel please and have him hire a HC - maybe Fassell, maybe Billick, but not Shanny for $10mil/year. spend that on some talented players

I AM SO fing sick & tired of watching Bills football minus LB's who don't sack the opponant's Qb and hit people hard. Small athletic guys who chase people down. Pretty gay scheme if you ask me. Painful.

I want killers... guys like Paup, Spielman, Biscuit, LT, and maybe a real killer like Ray Lewis. Bring some passion and a mean streak to the game and leave the eye shadow at home.

I am so sick of a Defense that contains the word Tampa- I could puke.

I don't care if its a 3-4, 4-3, 4-6, Eagle, Confusion or big fat guy pork sandwich defense. Just try to hurt the opposition, play hard, play smart and get to the QB.

Why are there always threads about Poz EVERY week? The whole team is bad right now, Poz just has no help.