Is Poz NFL's worst starting MLB?

Latason

I constantly see postings calling for upgrades to our defensive line and OLB......and while I agree we need upgrades in these areas, the heart and soul of the defense should be the MLB...and I can't think of a single NFL team that has a worse starting MLB than we do....

sure Poz makes lots of tackles, but how many of these tackles are for gains of less than 5 yards??....we need a tough force that can strip blockers and make plays near the line of scrimmage, not 5-10 yards downfield....

I would keep Poz, but move him to OLB....and find an NFL caliber MLB to man the middle and lead our defense.

P.S....for the record, outside of our secondary, let's give some kudos to Kyle Williams.....a solid consistent force all season and a player to complement rather than replace!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know about the worst, but he's not very good, that's for sure. I watched him on 2 run plays wrap up thr ball carrier around the shoulders and get carried for an additional 2-3 yards. He needs to tackle lower and take out the feet of the ball carrier or come in with more force, because I'm tired of watching him get piggy backed down the field.

I constantly see postings calling for upgrades to our defensive line and OLB......and while I agree we need upgrades in these areas, the heart and soul of the defense should be the MLB...and I can't think of a single NFL team that has a worse starting MLB than we do....

sure Poz makes lots of tackles, but how many of these tackles are for gains of less than 5 yards??....we need a tough force that can strip blockers and make plays near the line of scrimmage, not 5-10 yards downfield....

I would keep Poz, but move him to OLB....and find an NFL caliber MLB to man the middle and lead our defense.

P.S....for the record, outside of our secondary, let's give some kudos to Kyle Williams.....a solid consistent force all season and a player to complement rather than replace!

We said the same thing about London Fletcher..always making tackles from behind.... until we put Pat Williams in front of him, then he was all world. Without Williams, London was exposed and he made all his tackles downfield. The D needs at least one big guy to take on two lineman on running plays so the MLB can make a play without a guard knocking him back 10 yards. The best thing Poz can do is cut that fugly hair of his. He looks like a blonde I used to date which says something about both of us.

We said the same thing about London Fletcher..always making tackles from behind.... until we put Pat Williams in front of him, then he was all world. Without Williams, London was exposed and he made all his tackles downfield. The D needs at least one big guy to take on two lineman on running plays so the MLB can make a play without a guard knocking him back 10 yards. The best thing Poz can do is cut that fugly hair of his. He looks like a blonde I used to date which says something about both of us.

more about you though :sick:

Not a huge Poz guy. He's serviceable and I'd hate to say he's the worst in the league, but I imagine he's in the bottom 25%. His lack of playmaking (for example- forced fumbles, big 3rd down run stuffs, slamming a Wes Welker WR as he comes over the middle) has been shocking for a guy who's greatest asset is supposedly his "football instincts."

He has stretches in games where he's a beast, and stretches where he's non-existant.

I don't know about the worst, but he's not very good, that's for sure. I watched him on 2 run plays wrap up thr ball carrier around the shoulders and get carried for an additional 2-3 yards. He needs to tackle lower and take out the feet of the ball carrier or come in with more force, because I'm tired of watching him get piggy backed down the field.

This is correct. For a guy who weighs 240, he gets dragged a lot. I see him as serviceable, no more.

We can get into the 'whole versus the sum of it's parts dialogue' to defend his play, but Poz hasn't shown much in a position where instinct and athleticism can trump experience (or a weak defense line).

Is he the worst? Well, he's on the worst run defense in the league and he's the MLB.

One small qualifyer: we have NO linebackers, none, zilch. We need several real studs next year, whether we draft them high or sign the best free agents. Poz can be a back-up, which is where he belongs.

Is he the worst? Well, he's on the worst run defense in the league and he's the MLB.

One small qualifyer: we have NO linebackers, none, zilch. We need several real studs next year, whether we draft them high or sign the best free agents. Poz can be a back-up, which is where he belongs.

what the majority of posters on this board will have a hard time grasping is that all of these "studs" will not be accqired in 1 offseason...lower your standards..very little talent on this team..might take a couple years

Not a big Poz fan and he is clearly not the LB Fletcher is. Poz clearly is not the only issue with the defense. The MLB position should demonstrate the attitude and toughness of the defense. Poz does neither or as much as I hate to admit it maybe he does. I don't see Poz as a starter. He is serviceble and would be a solid player off the bench and maybe even better getting traded for a 3rd round pick. Poz does not have the speed to play the outside. He doesn't have the strength to shed the blockers or the instinct or toughness to play the middle. I saw him get pancaked at least three times last night. However he did get through on a delayed blitz..I was shocked to see it was Poz that got through. He clearly did not seem to have the heart to smack the hell out of Sanchez when he was running for a first down on the play where Sanchez was hurt. Poz just stood and watched while Corner made the hit. Poz will make the tackle as opposed to breaking up the pass so this gives him a few extra tackle per game without telling the real story. On many big plays Poz has the best seat in the house.

Many big plays by the opposing offense are made in Poz-land but there is enough blame to spread around here. We need to upgrade our starting defensive front seven and bring in bigger and tougher players....lets avoid Penn St. when doing so. Penn St. has become the General Motors of college LB's recently, only Penn State doesn't recall bad products as well as GM does.

Over pursuit was killing us last night. Everyone would chase to one side or the other and if a cutback takes place which it did on most plays we are caught out of position and give up a big play. How many times does that happen before you adjust for it? Don't over pursue, keep some guys back to cover the cutback runner.