Higher Taxes = Revolt

Magox

I found this to be interesting.

Republicans won a squeaker in Long Island, New York's Nassau County this week. And according to the loser, Democratic County Executive Tom Suozzi, it should serve as a warning to politicians nationwide, especially those in high-tax states.

"People are angry about property taxes, and they held the county executive accountable," said Mr. Suozzi after conceding to Ed Mangano, a little-known local Republican legislator. "You'd better be careful, because you're all at risk."

About time. Dems losing Nassau and Westchester 1 year after the Dem sweep should be a wake-up call. As for Reps, I hope they do not read too much into the wins; if they don't cut taxes, they'll be out too. I think a lot of incumbants will be out the door in 2010. People don't want to deal with higher taxes. If Congress raises, look out.

About time. Dems losing Nassau and Westchester 1 year after the Dem sweep should be a wake-up call. As for Reps, I hope they do not read too much into the wins; if they don't cut taxes, they'll be out too. I think a lot of incumbants will be out the door in 2010. People don't want to deal with higher taxes. If Congress raises, look out.

Cutting taxes isn't going to get it done if they don't seriously reign in spending. Neither Republicans or Democrats have the stones to do that.

If they really wanted to change it, they'd get rid of the damn pension system all together. People should save for their own damn retirements.

People in this country aren't smart enough for that....Maybe you are, but the majority is very stupid

If they really wanted to change it, they'd get rid of the damn pension system all together. People should save for their own damn retirements.

No arguments from me. Let em all go to defined contribution plans (401ks) rather than defined benefit plans like pensions.

People in this country aren't smart enough for that....Maybe you are, but the majority is very stupid

So let me get this straight, because people are stupid I have to pay for their retirement? But I agree with what Darin said. If we were to do away with the defined benefit plan for all government employees and went strictly with defined contribution like most of us have we'd solve the deficit problem in one generation.

So let me get this straight, because people are stupid I have to pay for their retirement? But I agree with what Darin said. If we were to do away with the defined benefit plan for all government employees and went strictly with defined contribution like most of us have we'd solve the deficit problem in one generation.

Yes- you will have to pay for their retirement. Should you have to? Absolutely not! But, what you are saying from Darin makes a lot of sense.

If the educational system was fixed, a lot of these problems might just go away, but then our politicians would lose a lot of power, so neither side wants that

You should know by now, Adam doesn't ever offer anything substantive to the conversation or takes a stand on anything.

Lets not get cranky just because you took something completely the wrong way........