Those who want Fewell as our HC

Poeticlaw

I do not want to dismiss Fewell and the energy he has brought to our team. However anything is better then the corpse that once was our HC.

Its easy to get excited when your team is finally showing emotion. The same intensity that gave Mike Sngeltery a 5-4 record as in interim HC that won him the Job. However he is 5-6 this season. Not great by any means.

Let me disect this by goal of the team. IT seams to me the goal is to win! A new inexperiend coach isnt going to do that for our team. IF a mediocre coach can have this team 7-9 the last three seasons imagine what a great coach could potentially do.

I would put it this way if we are not getting a Cower/Shannahan/Gruden/Billick/Fassel/Sherman then and only then would I stick with Fewell.

Point blank if you cannot get the guy who can potentially turn this around next season then you stick with the guy that has the team fired up.

There isnt much that needs to be done to this team to be a legitimate playoff conteder next season and I believe Ralph see this as well. That IMHO why i believe he is looking to go big time with a HC/GM role. Fewell is not likely to get us to that level next season but he could do it the season after that witht he right assitant coaches.

So you're saying that Mike Singletary and Perry Fewell are the same person?

Im saying that there situations are pretty identical and inxperience and emotion of intensity doesnt neccessarily equal success immeadately where as experience could.

We will know more as the year goes on. What Im most impressed with about Fewell is he is letting the offense make plays.

The offense has averaged 340 yards a game, should be closer to 400 but some penalties called back big plays.

If our offense continues to put up nice numbers, obviousy Fewell is making a difference. Singletary cant get SF offense to work.

Im saying that there situations are pretty identical and inxperience and emotion of intensity doesnt neccessarily equal success immeadately where as experience could.

I don't know that I agree about their situations being identical. SF has a realtively healthy defense that is much more talented (i.e. expensive) than ours is. I understand that it's easy to point to Singletary as the embodiment of "intensity", but I'd say Fewell's success or lack of success will be independent of what Singletary does.

Is Fewell really that intense? I think these "reports" are over-exaggerated and it's only noticeable because our last coach was a scarecrow in a baseball hat.

I mean, a guy shows a little emotion on the sideline, makes people practice in the rain and plays music at practice and we're comparing him to Mike friggin' Singletary?

They aren't?

No, but you and I are both from Erie, so there's a chance that WE could be the same person.

Poeticlaw? Ruling please?

We will know more as the year goes on. What Im most impressed with about Fewell is he is letting the offense make plays.

The offense has averaged 340 yards a game, should be closer to 400 but some penalties called back big plays.

If our offense continues to put up nice numbers, obviousy Fewell is making a difference. Singletary cant get SF offense to work.

What?? Building an offense arounf Frank Gore is NOT a recipe for success?

Thought I read differently last year......

Its easy to get excited when your team is finally showing emotion. The same intensity that gave Mike Sngeltery a 5-4 record as in interim HC that won him the Job. However he is 5-6 this season. Not great by any means.

So....we're judging Singletary to be a failure after one year on the job based on his 9-9 record for a team that went 20-51 in the preceding 4 1/2 years?

I'm not sold on Fewell as HC, but I don't think your analysis supports your argument.

I do not want to dismiss Fewell and the energy he has brought to our team. However anything is better then the corpse that once was our HC.

Let me disect this by goal of the team. IT seams to me the goal is to win! A new inexperiend coach isnt going to do that for our team. IF a mediocre coach can have this team 7-9 the last three seasons imagine what a great coach could potentially do.

I would put it this way if we are not getting a Cower/Shannahan/Gruden/Billick/Fassel/Sherman then and only then would I stick with Fewell.

Point blank if you cannot get the guy who can potentially turn this around next season then you stick with the guy that has the team fired up.

There isnt much that needs to be done to this team to be a legitimate playoff conteder next season and I believe Ralph see this as well. That IMHO why i believe he is looking to go big time with a HC/GM role. Fewell is not likely to get us to that level next season but he could do it the season after that witht he right assitant coaches.

I believe Singletary is doing an admirable job with the talent he has. Next year - they are in the playoff hunt....

It may work out for a year or two, but at the end of the day, I'm not sure Singletary, Fewell... (I'll throw DelRio into the same category) know talent and getting them to play to their potential. These guys want yes guys that play hard and do what they're told. Of course you want that kind of player, but you need a very strong front office recognizing bums and not letting guys like Pozluzny, Whitner, McCargo, Youboty, Ellis, and Maybin into the front gate. With a strong front office, a plan, and a plan that fits BUFFALO and it's elements, the only thing left is a coach that coaches that type of football.

Personally... I think if you have the right GM and staff, a good fit for Buffalo HC would be a guy like John Fox... a blue collar guy with not a lot of sizzle, but a lot of meat and substance. He doesn't have much of a front office in Carolina... but he seriously needs someone above him to make sound player decisions for him... like getting rid of Delhomme, for one. He seems to get a lot out of nothing... and always seems to have a good ground game no matter what scrub he throws in there.

I hate to rain on your parade, but Fewell doesn't "have his hands in the offense."

But don't take it from me, just listen to our starting quarterback. Go to NFL.com and listen to the Fitzpatrick interview (I can't find out to share the link) Quote is at 2:11.

It's amazing what happens when a professional quarterback throws the ball more than 20 yards down the field and lets his professional colleagues make plays!

I guess the truth really does hurt. :censored:

As a transplanted Buffalonian living in the bay area, I keep a close eye on the Niners and the Raiders.

Mike Singletary has done a great job in SF. They have a few great players, granted in Patrick Willis and Vernon Davis, and some legit frontline starters in Frank Gore and Takeo Spikes. However on the talent scale they are solidly middle of the road. In addition they have very average quarterbacking and have had a tougher than average schedule and a slew of injuries.

The strong consensus here and most elsewhere is that Singletary is doing a solid job and has the team at least slightly overachieving, if not outright overachieving.

He is a great leader of men...he's the sort of man that 10 people would follow into battle to fight 100. They always play hard and except for the inexplicable loss to Atlanta, have been close in all of their losses. He has transformed some of his young, immature players into team leaders within one year.

Although Singletary is old school, he is not an insecure autocrat. He's shown great flexibility in his coaching very recently going to more spread formations to take advantage of Alex Smith's comfort level in that scheme.

It will be interesting to watch Perry Fewell over the last 5 games and see if he continues to grow into the job.