Not as enamored with a big name coach anymore

zow2

I also am not so excited about big name coaches anymore.

I just want the next one to be the right one.

I am more interested in obtaining a top flight GM that has built a Super Bowl contender before.

I still like Bruce Allen, Floyd Reese, and Ron Wolf.

Even if Fewell wins out, he wont be as good a coach as Jim Harbaugh....

When I look at the number of injuries and the number of backups (at best!) playing for this team, my opinion is that if Perry can go 8-8 he should be the main candidate for this job. Even if the jets don't game plan for his new style, you can bet all our subsequent opponents will because there'll be 3 games worth of film on Fewell's new philosophy.

If he can coach this hodge-podge of a team to 4/5 wins in the remaining games going against Indy and New England, how do you NOT consider him the strongest candidate for this job? A bird in the hand.....

People can disrespect Perry's defense but it's hard to remain competitive when you're playing for a coach like Jauron whose ultra-conservative coaching style broke the morale of this team at least since last season.

Things are different now, and infinitely more interesting even though they probably won't make the playoffs. But first we need to see what happens moving forward.

;):D To the old men whose days have past them by ... I have written it before ... what elements do we want to see from our team on the field? I see these as being the responsibility of a winning head coach:

1. A desire to win and to keep on winning throughout the game without laying back (WGR sports' hosts may differ). A team attitude that every time we get the ball we want to score because it is a game about winning not playing to avoid losing. FEWELL has this approach

2. Emotions on and off the field; proof that players care and want to get the crowd involved (remember Talley's working the fans along the sidelines?). Supposedly one of the reasons for Wood and Levitre was that they have "attitude!" Well these last two weeks there has been fire in the blood ... anger when things go wrong and jublilation when it goes right. And, who is the leader ... FEWELL

3. A coach not caught up in personalities or salaries/draft positions of his players; someone who will go with the guys who are willing to put it all out on field. A coach who praises his players to the nth degree after the game or admits that he's ticked at them. Mr. "My Player has HUGE GONADS" FEWELL again ...

Ok, it is just two games ... but I love watching Perry work the sideline and boy do I love seeing this team play with emotion. Sure, the "Dick School of Physical Training" has led to so many injuries that I think the water guy is playing line for us and HEAD COACH FEWELL (sounds so good doesn't it) doesn't have a lot to work with talent-wise so we can't expect him to get us to the playoffs ... but if the team keeps fighting (his defenses have never stopped even when the DICK offences kept doing the 3 and out dance) and gets really ticked when the lose ... I want this type of team because when the talent returns healthy and when we add just a few pieces this has the making of a really good team that we will all want to watch.

So, the money ... GENERAL MANAGER (we need to get lucky and find that up and coming guy from a great program ... don't need a name but need someone who has learned under a good one); PRO SCOUTING DEPARTMENT (top to bottom); COLLEGE SCOUTING DEPARTMENT (I wonder how much influence DICK had in making picks such as MAY-HAVE-BEEN GOOD IN COLLEGE BUT?); and I so agree we need a Rusty Jones type of guy to keep the players in shape but again I think the fact that FEWELL works them is a plus (Philadelphia Inquirer just did a story on Andy Reid's training camp horrors of push push push and how at the end of the season the Eagles seem to come on stronger in the 4th quarters and in the games versus other teams perhaps because he was hard on the team early on to build them up.).

Let's get off the ego trip about names that are in our sports' history books ... Shanahan isn't going to bring Elway back and he failed at the end ...Gruden is better off in the booth ... and even Cowher ... not sure if we want him or can get him.

We have an energized Fewell ... moving our Bills along ... and right now I feel pretty good about that.

Instead of comparing Fewell to just Dick(less) Jauron, compare him to Wade Gump, Greggo and Meathead as well. When was the last time we've seen a Bills team fired up to play like this? There's still 5 more games so no need to make any decisions yet.

PTR

Why you gonna bad mouth the last coach to take us to the play-offs

Wade was a good coach

I don't mean to sound contrarian, but the general consensus around the league is that the best teams become the best teams by drafting well and keeping their own free agents. Look at the Superbowl winners of the last 5 years...they're all stocked with home-grown talent.

As for whether or not guys will want to play here, don't be fooled. Free agents will go where the money leads them, and that's generally why the teams that are the most active in FA don't win anything.

Pittsburgh, New England, Indianapolis, even Minnesota and New Orleans, they all draft well. You never see Pittsburgh sign a bevy of free agents, is always one or two 2nd-tier guys that generally serve as role players. The impact guys are all draft picks (Roethlisberger, Mendenhall, Holmes, Ward, Wallace, Miller, their whole starting OL, their whole starting DL, 3 of 4 LBs, 2 of 4 DBs). Same with the others.

Now, there's an occasional FA or 2 in that group (i.e. Brees in NO--which was a big risk at the time, ditto for Favre in Minnesota and Moss in New England), but predominantly, it's all about drafting well and keeping key players.

Just my 1 cent.

No worries about sounding contrarian. I don't mind being corrected if I'm wrong. Looks like I was. It's cool that you weren't a dick while adding your one cent!! I think the thought popped into my head just thinking about Favre and Brees this year. Especially the Vikings ... they were literally a QB away from being a dominant team. The optimist in me thinks that, coached and managed correctly, so are the Bills.

contrary to popular opinion Tebow does not crap lighting and fart thunder.

You are right - otherwise he's be Thor. However, as a QB all he does is win. I'd be content with that in a Buffalo Bills QB - just win - and that's what Tebow does - just wins.