Best Anti Virus/Security Software

EZC-Boston

I realize Fez has a thread in the consumer forum but there hasn't been a post since January. I just bought a new laptop (got a sweet deal on cyber monday) and want to make sure it stays at peak performance and doesn't get anything nasty on it so I'm willing to spend some cash to get some good security software (usually I just go with something that is free). I was looking at amazon it looks like either: Bitdefender Total Security 2010 - 3Pc/2Yr or Norton Internet Security 2010 1-User/3PC are the best selling and best rated options but I was wondering if anybody had a preference or knew which one was best. Also, Vipre AntiVirus + AntiSpyware gets good reviews too. One thing I'll need to research is compatibility with Windows 7. I'm actually pretty good about not downloading and installing garbage, clicking on suspicious links or opening unknown attachments, but this is the most $ I've ever spent on a computer and I want to make sure it lasts. Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Believe it or not, Microsoft has come out with a decent free package...Microsoft Security Essentials. It has gotten some good reviews online for being lightweight and very easy to use. Very quick download and it seems to use very little system resources. It sets itself up quickly and doesn't bother you at all.

Microsft Security Essentials

I have given up on many of the "security suites". In most cases they are bloated and use a ton of resources.

I recently - for the 1st time - purchased an av/suite. I bought Avira based on recommendations from The Dean, and I am pleased with it.

Many configuration options, including locking of the Host file.

Also, Malawarebytes - had a glitch, though - Dean explained that to me via PM:

..."I'm guessing the reason you had trouble with the Malwarebytes download might be due to inadvertently clicking the wrong download link. There is usually a BIG download banner ad posted near the top of the download page, but it is usually for a questionable product and not Malwarebytes. I suspect this may be the case because it happened to me once, and regularly happens to people I know.

Get it here, the link is at the top right of the page:"

http://www.filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/

Note that it's not for 64-bit Vista. I don't know if it works with 64-bit xp.

Prior to reading that, the local Micro Center store has a selection of popular downloads on CD - so I bought the disk for 3 bucks.

I also use Windows Defender, password-protect the BIOS, and deny browsing history in Mozilla.

I use a wired connection with a hardware firewall - as recommended by Fezmid.

Edited by stuckincincy

I just bought a new Laptop as well and installed kaspersky on it. So far so good. The software detects problems across the globe and automatically updates your comp. Its great. So if Beerball has a prob and they fix it they will send the notice to all of the kaspersky customers. Pretty cool actually. And they have a 24 hr customer service line, which is great for the comp retarded such as myself.

Believe it or not, Microsoft has come out with a decent free package...Microsoft Security Essentials. It has gotten some good reviews online for being lightweight and very easy to use. Very quick download and it seems to use very little system resources. It sets itself up quickly and doesn't bother you at all.

Microsft Security Essentials

I have given up on many of the "security suites". In most cases they are bloated and use a ton of resources.

+1

Comodo for software firewall, it's free and better then anything I've ever paid for. Haven't tried their anti-virus.

I used Comodo for a long while - but with the successive program updates, it started giving my personal system some problems.

I liked it a lot, though - very good firewall IMO.

Thanks, I'll take these all into account before I pull the trigger. Interesting, nobody with Norton experience.

Actually Norton have had their problems over the years, but I think they got it right with the 2010 Internet security package. Very user friendly and easily configurable. It doesn't bog down the system anymore and my laptop became noticeably faster when I went from 09 to 2010. I have a bunch of customers using it and so far looks pretty good. Also goes on sale for $39.99 can from time to time and that covers 3 computers.

Thanks, I'll take these all into account before I pull the trigger. Interesting, nobody with Norton experience.

I thought Norton was awful ... I got tired of getting prompted every 3 seconds for something or the other. I went with Symantec for a while, but Microsoft Essentials seems to be quicker and less resource heavy and has spyware built into it.

Long story short

I just signed up for the AT&T Uverse bundle (friggin excellent btw). Anyway the wireless internet comes with Mcafee so when I bought my new PC I didn't need antivirus. I get home and find out that Mcafee is not compatible with Windows EX8. So i decide that I will load the 2 months free of Norton that the comp comes with till I can get a something better. I proceed to install and all is well. I turn off the comp, wife gets on and the PC starts to freeze and then just stops, mind you I have had it for 2 hours. I end up having to wipe the PC clean and uninstall the Norton and install Kaspersky, haven't had n issue yet.

Avast is great too, and it's free.

I've read good things about it. I used AVG for several years, and liked it, but their latest free version - 9 - caused problems for me.

Its' scans were always slow - not much of a problem for me, since I have about 10Gb used out of a 140 Gb drive. IMO, it would be awful for folks with lots and lots of files.