Why haven't Modrak and Guy been canned

San-O

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know why so many people are harping on Modrak being one of the key failures of this franchise. IMO, he has done well DESPITE John Guy and the others around him. We have a lot of really young talent on this team to build around. Yes, I know, there's a lot of speculation around how much influence he really had in the draft room, and how much of it was Levy or Ralph's decision-making. Still, I think he may be one of the bright spots in our debacle of a front office.

Also, with GM candidates being thrown around, has anyone thought of maybe promoting Modrak into that position? This was brought up earlier, but he was previously a scout for the Steelers (under Donahoe), and a GM for the Eagles (anybody have insight as to how successful he was in either position?)

Yeah, that makes perfect sense. Let's fire them now so and have no one ready to step in and replace them. ;)

I don't know how long you have been watching football, but normally, a team does not begin to interview candidates until there is a vacancy.

Sorta like in the real world....

I don't know why so many people are harping on Modrak being one of the key failures of this franchise. IMO, he has done well DESPITE John Guy and the others around him. We have a lot of really young talent on this team to build around. Yes, I know, there's a lot of speculation around how much influence he really had in the draft room, and how much of it was Levy or Ralph's decision-making. Still, I think he may be one of the bright spots in our debacle of a front office.

Also, with GM candidates being thrown around, has anyone thought of maybe promoting Modrak into that position? This was brought up earlier, but he was previously a scout for the Steelers (under Donahoe), and a GM for the Eagles (anybody have insight as to how successful he was in either position?)

Oh, please do tell how Modrak is NOT a key failure of this franchise...

How many draft picks did the Bills retain from 2000-2005. 6. Out of 50 draft picks, 6 are still with the team.

How many #1 picks this decade are still with the team? 6 out of 12. And two of them- McCargo and Whitner- are suspect. I would put that number at closer to 4 or 5. Out of 12 players selected, once again that is a horrible record.

You can do the same with the #2's and #3's selected this decade. On one hand, you have a Josh Reed or a Kyle Williams. On the other hand, you have a Roscoe Parrish, James Hardy, and Edwards. Again, I would say 50% average of quality yet again.

That is a horrible (read: HORRIBLE) return on investment.

Furthermore, with the exception of Butler and Wood, why has Modrak and his scouting staff proven to be so inept at drafting offensive linemen? Defensive linemen? QB's?

Since Buffalo is a team that is strapped and is not going to overspend on big ticket free agents, then the team has to rely on the draft for most of its talent.

Modrak has done nothing during his tenure (other than conduct Jauron-like mediocrity) to warrant keeping his job.

But I am open to hearing why you believe that he is not to blame ALONG with Guy...

Oh, please do tell how Modrak is NOT a key failure of this franchise...

How many draft picks did the Bills retain from 2000-2005. 6. Out of 50 draft picks, 6 are still with the team.

How many #1 picks this decade are still with the team? 6 out of 12. And two of them- McCargo and Whitner- are suspect. I would put that number at closer to 4 or 5. Out of 12 players selected, once again that is a horrible record.

You can do the same with the #2's and #3's selected this decade. On one hand, you have a Josh Reed or a Kyle Williams. On the other hand, you have a Roscoe Parrish, James Hardy, and Edwards. Again, I would say 50% average of quality yet again.

That is a horrible (read: HORRIBLE) return on investment.

Furthermore, with the exception of Butler and Wood, why has Modrak and his scouting staff proven to be so inept at drafting offensive linemen? Defensive linemen? QB's?

Since Buffalo is a team that is strapped and is not going to overspend on big ticket free agents, then the team has to rely on the draft for most of its talent.

Modrak has done nothing during his tenure (other than conduct Jauron-like mediocrity) to warrant keeping his job.

But I am open to hearing why you believe that he is not to blame ALONG with Guy...

I don't think Modrak makes the picks, does he?

This is what I thought. I thought he was just a talent scout, and it was Donahoe, Levy, and Ralph through the years that have made the actual picks.

And as for why so many of the picks are not with the team, sure we've had our busts (ehem...Mike Williams), but we've had some successes that we've simply...let go...

Don't really have time to do the full research and go into every single one at work (and I think it would be a very interesting read), but I don't THINK he's been that bad. Feel free to prove me wrong, because this isn't anything I'm dead-set convinced on either.

John Guy, on the other hand...well he's a different story. Let's not even go into that pit of failure.

He comes up with the scores on which their board is based, so when they say they don't want to stray from their board or their grades, it means they stay with his recommendations.

This is what I thought. I thought he was just a talent scout, and it was Donahoe, Levy, and Ralph through the years that have made the actual picks.

And as for why so many of the picks are not with the team, sure we've had our busts (ehem...Mike Williams), but we've had some successes that we've simply...let go...

Don't really have time to do the full research and go into every single one at work (and I think it would be a very interesting read), but I don't THINK he's been that bad. Feel free to prove me wrong, because this isn't anything I'm dead-set convinced on either.

John Guy, on the other hand...well he's a different story. Let's not even go into that pit of failure.

If you see the above referenced link, that article may help show you the light.

Modrak is the Director of Scouting. DIRECTOR. He is in charge. He, along with his scouting staff, spend time during the college football season scouting and amassing information on players. Makes grades. He is largely responsible for creating the draft "board".

Granted, the coaching staff may have an inferior scheme (Tampa 2 and its emphasis on undersized players), but ultimately Modrak and his scouting staff ARE RESPONSIBLE for providing the "Brain Trust" with the players and their respective rankings with which to draft from.

Read the link I provided above (sorry, link did not appear as a hyperlink, you'll have to type it in).

Modrak has had 8-9 years with which, at the very least, to scout and provide information on college players for our coaching staff to select. And for 8-9 years, his recommendations have clearly been mediocre.

REgime change MUST include Modrak, or else this will continue.

I don't know how long you have been watching football, but normally, a team does not begin to interview candidates until there is a vacancy.

Sorta like in the real world....

Actually, people interview before the vacancy all the time in the business world to cut down transition time.

He comes up with the scores on which their board is based, so when they say they don't want to stray from their board or their grades, it means they stay with his recommendations.

ok, just asking. They all still need to be replaced.

Actually, people interview before the vacancy all the time in the business world to cut down transition time.

Go back and read your NFL history, sir.

Coaches, GM's, etc never interview while the job is still occupied. ;)

Go back and read your NFL history, sir.

Coaches, GM's, etc never interview while the job is still occupied. ;)

If you read my post, I said in the business world, not NFL. The poster said it never happens in the real world, when it actually does, which is what my point was.

Modrak wanted either Ngata or Cutler. He knew what he was doing. Others in charge did not.

If multiple people have been GM and HC during the last decade and the result has been a poor record of drafting good players, acquiring good free agents and keeping our better players, isn't it obvious that the source of the problem has been the same throughout the ten years? Logically, isn't this strong evidence that the man pulling the strings (purse strings) is the villain?

I've listened to the ranting about all the failings of the recent coaching and management alumni and it's hard to believe they were all so bad. For example, the best coach we ever had gets brought back as a GM. We later find out that it was a private agreement for only two years, where Marv's job was to restore improved interactions between management, coaches, the media and the fans. Marv did what he was asked to do: calm was restored. Also, when Marv was rehired, the already tight-fisted budgeting was made even tighter as Wilson announced "Cash to the Cap." I didn't really grasp the true message at the time, but now it is obvious. Marv was not going to be allowed to be a true GM and spend the money to build a competitive team. So after Marv leaves on cue, Wilson effectively eliminates the GM position by giving the puppet title to Russ.

Yes, we haven't had the best management, coaches and players, and yes that is part of the problem. But the main issue has been an old man hoarding as much gold as possible to stack and count in his remaining time. That's his true obsession: not rebuilding a competitive team. It's so obvious it smells. ;)

No offense to Aaron Maybin, but was he drafted to appease the fans? Because they had to know he wouldn't be a big contributor this season. Hopefully at some point Maybin will eventually become a starter, just kind of wasted when the O line really needed help this year.

How did drafting a long-shot "tweener" suppose to appease me? Even IF he does eventually do anything, I guarantee it will only be in his contract year so he can then sign some where else for the big $$$$$$$$$.

Maybin < Big Gonad

If multiple people have been GM and HC during the last decade and the result has been a poor record of drafting good players, acquiring good free agents and keeping our better players, isn't it obvious that the source of the problem has been the same throughout the ten years? Logically, isn't this strong evidence that the man pulling the strings (purse strings) is the villain?

I've listened to the ranting about all the failings of the recent coaching and management alumni and it's hard to believe they were all so bad. For example, the best coach we ever had gets brought back as a GM. We later find out that it was a private agreement for only two years, where Marv's job was to restore improved interactions between management, coaches, the media and the fans. Marv did what he was asked to do: calm was restored. Also, when Marv was rehired, the already tight-fisted budgeting was made even tighter as Wilson announced "Cash to the Cap." I didn't really grasp the true message at the time, but now it is obvious. Marv was not going to be allowed to be a true GM and spend the money to build a competitive team. So after Marv leaves on cue, Wilson effectively eliminates the GM position by giving the puppet title to Russ.

You do realize the majority of teams in the NFL use the same "Cash to Cap" accounting system?

And that last year the Bills were 4th in the NFL in player payroll?

But you just keep yammering on about how cheap and tightfisted the Bills are.

Don't let the facts get in your way of good rant.

I agree.

Ralph does not hold back on paying for players. In fact, the front office OVERpays for production (see Kelsay and Parrish contracts).

Where Ralph does sell the team cheap, or has in the past 10 years, is where it directly hits the pocketbook and profit of the team- the front office and coaching staff.

Do I believe that we need to have a $10 million per year coach to be successful?

NO.

But I do believe, that we need to re-invest in the front office, and if that means paying an experienced GM top dollar, than I all for that.

But those that see Ralph as some miser don't make much sense.