Chances TO signs an extension in '10?

CosmicBills

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's early for this, I know. And I know people on the board are pretty divided about how they really feel about TO wearing a buffalo on his helmet. However, I'm curious what people think TO would need to do in order for the Bills to make a (serious) offer to retain TO in '10, or what the Bills need to do in order for TO to want to come back.

My (worthless) two cents on the situation:

Yes, TO drops balls. But he also gets open more than any WR we've had on this roster since Andre Reed retired. I personally think that TO has gotten a bad wrap as far as his on and off the field blowups have gone -- yes, some of them have been his own doing but others have been the media spinning things in a negative way (especially in Dallas and since he's been here in Buffalo). It's a shame that the Bills have not had a good enough O-Line or consistent enough play from their QBs to get him the ball more this year. I think during the past two games TO has shown he has gas in the tank and would be a valuable weapon to have on this team in '10 -- especially if the Bills do go out and get a rookie/franchise-type QB to groom for the future. I believe the Bills absolutely should make a play to retain him in '10.

From the Bills' perspective, I think they will make an offer to retain him. It makes sense when you look at how the WR corps will shake out in the off season. Josh Reed will be a UFA, and the Bills have banished Johnson and Hardy to the inactive list so much this season that it's really impossible to tell what, if anything, they can offer in '10 as far as being the number 2 guy behind Lee -- or the number 3 guy in the slot. They have too many holes to address in the draft to warrant using a high draft pick on another WR. So that leaves FA. And personally, I think TO will once again be the best available WR on the Free Agent market ... though admittedly, I'm not too familiar with who will be available from other teams. Considering all those factors, I think the Bills will make an offer to keep him -- but I'm not certain it will be enough to convince him to stay.

From TO's perspective, I always felt he was going to use his time in Buffalo to audition for a 3-4 year deal from a contending club. I think he's tired of being in Buffalo -- not as far as the city or fans go, but he wants to play for a winning club. The only way I think he will consider coming back to the Bills is if they make a serious commitment to a top coach and QB in the off season. There's a chance that if they keep Perry (doubtful) and get a great GM in here to make personnel moves he could be convinced to stay, but at the very least it's going to take a 4 year deal worth 30 million. And that might be low.

If TO leaves, and I feel it's a highly likely he will (call it 85%), the Bills will have to scramble to fill yet another hole when frankly, they should be focusing on the OL, DL, LB, QB spots instead.

So what say the folks here on TSW? What do you think it will take, from the Bills perspective and from TO's perspective to keep him in the fold? Or do you think the Bills would be better served letting him go elsewhere?

Its possible, the offer will most likely be there my guess is TO will shop himself to a competive team with a QB and if there are no takers he will return to Buffalo.

Without a doubt, the best player on the team (I know I sound like a broken record w/regard to this). He's got amazing footwork -- that's what gets him open so often. Why not franchise him?

Exactly...He is one of the top 5 at his position, it would be $$ well spent. Then, whether he likes it or not we have two serious weapons.

Lee Evans is amazing as well. He gets a step and it's 6. We need a big arm, that can deliver the ball, and we have to have an actual game plan, that is designed to give the QB trust in what is around him.

One thing we need to remember is Josh Reed is in the last year of his contract. Before it starts, I know we have Steve Johnson, I think he showed promise when he was in the game, and it would be nice to develop him and get he and Hardy involved. That being said, I don't really want either of them as our #2, or full-time #3.

It might not even end up being this difficult...if the changes that are coming are as influential as promised, it may be a good time to be a Buffalo Bill....and a Bills' fan!

Great win today, Go Bills!

Frankly, I have never seen a WR that is wide open as much as TO. I have said it over and over and I think the last two weeks proves it, with any kind if QB play, TO would be leading the league in touchdowns. Its amazing how he still just runs away from people all day long.

right on

... Why not franchise him?

Lots of good opinions on here. Thanks!

This is a great idea that I hadn't thought of when I started the thread ... does anyone know if he had it written into his contract that the Bills couldn't franchise him? If not, and I don't think there is that clause, what are the ramifications of TO being a bigger pain in the ass if he IS franchised and forced to stay here against his will?

Hmmm

Lots of good opinions on here. Thanks!

This is a great idea that I hadn't thought of when I started the thread ... does anyone know if he had it written into his contract that the Bills couldn't franchise him? If not, and I don't think there is that clause, what are the ramifications of TO being a bigger pain in the ass if he IS franchised and forced to stay here against his will?

Hmmm

The franchise tag is rarely discussed with regard to keeping T.O., but it is a viable option. As others have said, it could be argued that he is worth top-5 money, and it only obligates the Bills for one year.

I could see a scenario where T.O. continues to get the ball in the last 5 games, likes the direction the Bills go with a head coach (either with Fewell or, much more likely, someone new), and decides not to raise a fuss over getting top 5 money to play another year in Buffalo.

Bottom line, I'd put the odds that T.O. stays at about 20%.

Without a doubt, the best player on the team (I know I sound like a broken record w/regard to this). He's got amazing footwork -- that's what gets him open so often. Why not franchise him?

One final thought: We could also Franchise T.O. and then trade him, much like the Peerless Price situation a few years ago.

Even though I would like to keep TO as well (as long as he continues to deliver) I think the Franchise Tag is a bad idea. We all know how misreable he can make a team when he's unhappy. If he got the tag and didn't like it then you could potentially ruin a possible good year for the Bills.

It's early for this, I know. And I know people on the board are pretty divided about how they really feel about TO wearing a buffalo on his helmet. However, I'm curious what people think TO would need to do in order for the Bills to make a (serious) offer to retain TO in '10, or what the Bills need to do in order for TO to want to come back.

Yes, TO drops balls. But he also gets open more than any WR we've had on this roster since Andre Reed retired. I personally think that TO has gotten a bad wrap as far as his on and off the field blowups have gone -- yes, some of them have been his own doing but others have been the media spinning things in a negative way (especially in Dallas and since he's been here in Buffalo). It's a shame that the Bills have not had a good enough O-Line or consistent enough play from their QBs to get him the ball more this year. I think during the past two games TO has shown he has gas in the tank and would be a valuable weapon to have on this team in '10 -- especially if the Bills do go out and get a rookie/franchise-type QB to groom for the future. I believe the Bills absolutely should make a play to retain him in '10.

From the Bills' perspective, I think they will make an offer to retain him. It makes sense when you look at how the WR corps will shake out in the off season. Josh Reed will be a UFA, and the Bills have banished Johnson and Hardy to the inactive list so much this season that it's really impossible to tell what, if anything, they can offer in '10 as far as being the number 2 guy behind Lee -- or the number 3 guy in the slot. They have too many holes to address in the draft to warrant using a high draft pick on another WR. So that leaves FA. And personally, I think TO will once again be the best available WR on the Free Agent market ... though admittedly, I'm not too familiar with who will be available from other teams. Considering all those factors, I think the Bills will make an offer to keep him -- but I'm not certain it will be enough to convince him to stay.

From TO's perspective, I always felt he was going to use his time in Buffalo to audition for a 3-4 year deal from a contending club. I think he's tired of being in Buffalo -- not as far as the city or fans go, but he wants to play for a winning club. The only way I think he will consider coming back to the Bills is if they make a serious commitment to a top coach and QB in the off season. There's a chance that if they keep Perry (doubtful) and get a great GM in here to make personnel moves he could be convinced to stay, but at the very least it's going to take a 4 year deal worth 30 million. And that might be low.

If TO leaves, and I feel it's a highly likely he will (call it 85%), the Bills will have to scramble to fill yet another hole when frankly, they should be focusing on the OL, DL, LB, QB spots instead.

So what say the folks here on TSW? What do you think it will take, from the Bills perspective and from TO's perspective to keep him in the fold? Or do you think the Bills would be better served letting him go elsewhere?

4-year deal for $30M+??? To a 36 year old Terrell Owens?? Are you on drugs???

Next to Brian Moorman, right? (I'm only half-joking here).

One final thought: We could also Franchise T.O. and then trade him, much like the Peerless Price situation a few years ago.

Why would anyone trade a top pick for T.O. when they declined the opportunity to sign him in free agency before this season began??

Boy, some people have awful short memories. Do we all remember why the 1-year deal was a good idea?

Apparently not...

I sit in section 123, and Owens separated from Vontae Davis with ease, which is no small feat for a 35-36 year old receiver. Being old school, it's hard to accept some of the antics TO demonstrates. But I must say he's someone that opponents must respect, because he's excellent in the open field and represents a guy who can still make plays.

At this point, he should be in their plans for 2010.

Exactamundo :D

What you have not confidence in James Hardy?

Well, his checkered past indicates year 2 will be a problem. How the Fewell/next regime handles it is the issue. If the Bills switch to a 3-4, we've got a lot of re-tooling to do with personnel, so it'd be better to keep the offense somewhat together.

I hope he stays.

Why would anyone trade a top pick for T.O. when they declined the opportunity to sign him in free agency before this season began??

I never said anyone would trade a top pick. I simply said we could potentially franchise him and then trade him, similar to how Donahoe handled Peerless Price a few years ago. In T.O.'s case, it would not be for a 1st rounder, but better to get something for him than nothing at all.

I never said anyone would trade a top pick. I simply said we could potentially franchise him and then trade him, similar to how Donahoe handled Peerless Price a few years ago. In T.O.'s case, it would not be for a 1st rounder, but better to get something for him than nothing at all.

Yeah it would.

Anyone know what the average of the top 5 WR salaries is? 'Cause that's what it'll cost to slap the franchise tag in him. That said, I do like the guy - he seems to have either matured, of had a major attitude adjustment. The Bills benefit from a veteran like T.O. - especially our QB, and I hope he finishes his career here.

2009 numbers aren't out there from what I can find in a lazy google search, but based on 2008 numbers you're looking at an average of at least $14.1MM. Generally, you'd think that the numbers are never going down but contracts are a bit different from year to year and teams could have back- or front-loaded them. Still, in the neighborhood of double his 09 salary (and that's a low estimate) seems steep, even if he's still got it.

2008 top WR salary numbers (approx):

L Fitz: $17MM

R Moss $14MM

TO $13.7MM

Berrian $13.7MM

Javon Walker $12MM

avg~14.08MM

this is from USA Today

Don't know why there's no NFL equivalent of Cot's Baseball Contracts to help out here...