Violence at the NYS RNC Convention

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nice to meet you too .  :)

I understand your elloquantly stated point. However, lets look at this from the other point of view - when the RNC announced that they would hold their convention in NYC - they were criticized because they were bringing a huge political event that would be a magnet for controversy. It is simply unamerican and unrealistic to think that a major political event can take place, in controvertial and polorized times, and not bring dissent, glamor, spin, and - yes, danger. So your blame of just the activists is clouded by your warped political outlook. When they chose the venue they knew what they were getting into.

P.S. your depiction of the gay rights movement is about 20 years outdated.

10412[/snapback]

Yeah, maybe they should have held it in a wheatfield somewhere. Heaven forbid they have it in a large metropolitan city, like the Democrats did in Boston.

It wouldn't matter where it was scheduled. The lefty whackjobs would be there en masse.

Yeah, maybe they should have held it in a wheatfield somewhere.  Heaven forbid they have it in a large metropolitan city, like the Democrats did in Boston.

It wouldn't matter where it was scheduled.  The lefty whackjobs would be there en masse.

10603[/snapback]

A wheatfield would be fitting given the divide between blue and red states.

You really think that is true?

Boston is a Democrat town? What is a big Republican town?

The RNC is taking a page out of Boy Genius Rove's book... Go up against your enemies strength... This doesn't mean that it is a bad strategy, in fact it is a rather effective one.

Well, the largest protest EVER at a political convention, according to the NY Times, and it was peaceful. Dear me, how disappointed some people must be.

C-SPAN covered it live. The only thing I caught was that one of the floats caught fire. The police and FD reacted immediately and stopped the procession. The protesters waited peacefully against the barricades until the fire was extinguished and the carcass of the float moved. The barricades opened and the crowd cheered and moved on. I don't know how long they waited, maybe 20 minutes or more. Pretty impressive. The said the procession started around noon EST, I had it on around noon PST and it was still going.

Black, white, Asian, Arab, Jew, young, old and in between.

I am sure of course that the 5-6 hardass righties on this board will come out with some nasty comment about them all. But I have to wonder what it is that all those people know?

And why is it that the right couldn't summon up more than Lyndon Larouche's buddies to protest Kerry?

Well, the largest protest EVER at a political convention, according to the NY Times, and it was peaceful.  Dear me, how disappointed some people must be.

This coming from the person who seems to thrive on starting threads highlighting all the bad news for our nation.

Well, the largest protest EVER at a political convention, according to the NY Times, and it was peaceful. Dear me, how disappointed some people must be.

C-SPAN covered it live. The only thing I caught was that one of the floats caught fire. The police and FD reacted immediately and stopped the procession. The protesters waited peacefully against the barricades until the fire was extinguished and the carcass of the float moved. The barricades opened and the crowd cheered and moved on. I don't know how long they waited, maybe 20 minutes or more. Pretty impressive. The said the procession started around noon EST, I had it on around noon PST and it was still going.

I am sure of course that the 5-6 hardass righties on this board will come out with some nasty comment about them all. But I have to wonder what it is that all those people know?

And why is it that the right couldn't summon up more than Lyndon Larouche's buddies to protest Kerry?

DING!!!!!!!

CUCKOO!!!!!!!!

DING!!!!!!!

CUCKOO!!!!!!!!

DING!!!!!!!

CUCKOO!!!!!!!!

Well, the largest protest EVER at a political convention, according to the NY Times, and it was peaceful.  Dear me, how disappointed some people must be.

C-SPAN covered it live.  The only thing I caught was that one of the floats caught fire.  The police and FD reacted immediately and stopped the procession.  The protesters waited peacefully against the barricades until the fire was extinguished and the carcass of the float moved.  The barricades opened and the crowd cheered and moved on.  I don't know how long they waited, maybe 20 minutes or more.  Pretty impressive.  The said the procession started around noon EST, I had it on around noon PST and it was still going.

I am sure of course that the 5-6 hardass righties on this board will come out with some nasty comment about them all.  But I have to wonder what it is that all those people know?

11287[/snapback]

I had no idea it was even possible for someone to sound so self-congratulatory about something they weren't even involved in... :blink:

Probally because they have lives and jobs...You know...More important things in thier lives to attend too.

I was there for some of the protests today, both the march and in the park.

Thankfully there were no mass arrests and the police were smiling and extremely helpful. It was a two-way street as on the whole the protesters were very peaceful.

There were a few people who couldn't resist fighting back at some of the counter-protesters, who were trying to get in line with us and stir some things up, ripping up their own signs and calling us racists -- because Democrats generally don't support school vouchers?

But in general it was a spirited day for democracy, and a good showing for people who are not satisfied with what they've gotten in the past four years. And contrary to some postings on this board, the makeup of this march was extremely diverse, not full of 'professional protesters' -- a lot of grandmas, veterans (including some from WWII!), people of all colors, religions and ethnicities, young and old.

A lot of folks migrated to central park, where I went with my dog. Heavily policed, but the atmosphere was less tense than even the past few days as spontaneous protest and gathering was held without any violence or tension to speak of. I am thankful for the job the NYPD did of ensuring security, rounding up people who were only there to cause trouble, and protecting both protesters and people just enjoying a day in the city / park, and I made effort to tell many of the officers I saw just that.

Excellent point? 

So you advocate running down people in the street?  Next time someone gets in your way... Run 'em down... Hay the guy had an attitude!

9928[/snapback]

Advocate running down innocent people in the street? No, I do not. But, I think you understand my point. If you run out onto the field at a sporting event, you might get hurt when the police tackle you.

Your next question: Does running on the field make it okay for 10 policemen to knock you down and beat you with nightsticks? No. :blink:

Advocate running down innocent people in the street? No, I do not. But, I think you understand my point. If you run out onto the field at a sporting event, you might get hurt when the police tackle you.

Your next question: Does running on the field make it okay for 10 policemen to knock you down and beat you with nightsticks? No.  :blink:

11424[/snapback]

I think running down a person with a van constitutes greater force needed, as explained in your example of the 10 policemen.

I think all the protestors realize the danger and accept it.

The bottom line, is the law is obligated to not break the law. People on the other hand have to suffer the ramifications of breaking the law. It is a one way street.