The Blind Side...Must see movie.

DarthICE

Wrong, the reason he dropped in the draft was that teams were concerned over the fact that he had a learning disability. How would he handle the more complex systems....His college play was very consistant that's what made him a first rounder. I believe you may be referring to Andre Smith.

You are correct sir! Good to see some accuracy posted here.

Whats your excuse for passing on Orakpo then. He WAS a "slam-dunk sure thing"

Bottom line is the Bills should have taken Orakpo at 11, and never settleed for the Eagles 28th pick. Landing the earlier of their firsts would have allowed us to draft Oher later. Thats what A real front office would have done. Which is not hidsight, as this entire board was curious as to how we let the second Eagles first round end up in our hands.

Orokpo? Slam dunk??? I seem to recall many concerns about Orokpo taking plays off. Plus there was the Texas thing...how players from UT seem to flame out in the NFL. But I'm sure you conveniently either forgot or ignored that when writing this post. Besides, aren't Cushing and Matthews having better years than Orakpo? That means the Redskins "blew it".

I'm not defending the Maybin pick. All I'm saying is it's BS to claim you knew so-and-so was an all-star because even the guys who get paid to find these players whiff on them.

PTR

Orokpo? Slam dunk??? I seem to recall many concerns about Orokpo taking plays off. Plus there was the Texas thing...how players from UT seem to flame out in the NFL. But I'm sure you conveniently either forgot or ignored that when writing this post. Besides, aren't Cushing and Matthews having better years than Orakpo? That means the Redskins "blew it".

I'm not defending the Maybin pick. All I'm saying is it's BS to claim you knew so-and-so was an all-star because even the guys who get paid to find these players whiff on them.

PTR

PTR's right. He was certainly no "slam dunk." In my opinion, the whole Texas thing is/was completely overblown (for every Mike Williams there's a Roy Williams; for every Vince Young there's a Nate Vasher), and his numbers suggested that if he did take plays off it wasn't many of them (not nearly as many as, say, Alan Branch from Michigan a few years prior). I wanted Orakpo at #11, it's been well-documented, but there's no such thing as a "slam dunk" in the NFL draft. I don't think he'd have 6.5 sacks for us like he does playing with Carter and Haynesworth in Washington, but he'd certainly be far and away out-producing Aaron Maybin.

The problem with Maybin is that he at this moment lacks the physical size to be anything at DL , He basically pumped up to 250, after playing at 235-240, but he is very young and may gain size just through physical maturation but that is no sure thing- in any event it should have been apparent to everyone that he was going to have no impact this year- everything will be up in the air after this season and if the Bills switch to a 3-4 we may find Maybin very suited to OLB where his lack of lower body strength will be much less of a liability.

Just got back from the movie. From a strictly cinematic perspective it was pretty decent if not a bit bland. It's a by the numbers "feel-good" story that really doesn't dig very deep nor offer any surprising revelations. It's designed to make you feel good (especially if you're a white suburbanite) and keep you from thinking too much. It's a Hallmark TV movie -- or would be if it didn't have the fine actors attached to it that it does.

Still, it knows what it is and does exactly what it promises.

But it's WAY better than 2012. :)

we are in complete agreement on that!

I knew going into it that it wasn't going to be Oscar material or anything. Emmerich is usually pretty awful. But I admit I like Independence Day more than I probably should. So I was hoping for something at that level. But, ugh. I don't know why people are going ga-ga over the VFX. I thought all the effects were pretty horrible. Transformers sucked, but at least looked pretty. This sucked and looked worse.

My favorite part was about 1.5 hours in they say they lose all ground communication in the whole world. Then, 30 minutes later, the dude in India makes a cell phone call from the top of a mountain (on a cell phone) to another cell phone in China ... and gets through. :)

You are correct sir! Good to see some accuracy posted here.

No, you are both incorrect. His aggressiveness and desire were both a question, as was his intelligence. Both were the concerns of scouts and also discussed in the book.

Competitiveness: Has a business-like approach to the game. Some would like to see much more aggression from a left tackle. For a player blessed with his strength, especially in his arms and hands, he should destroy defenders. He loves football, but more than a few scouts have concerns that he does not have the flashy intensity or burning desire in his play. GRADE: 6.2

Work Habits: Has long arms but needs a coach to teach proper technique to punch, grab and extend to neutralize and control defenders. He is very coachable and even though he plays with inconsistent aggression, he has good maturity from his life experiences and appreciates the opportunity afforded him at Mississippi. GRADE: 7.2

My favorite part was about 1.5 hours in they say they lose all ground communication in the whole world. Then, 30 minutes later, the dude in India makes a cell phone call from the top of a mountain (on a cell phone) to another cell phone in China ... and gets through. :D

I'm glad I wasn't the only one to pick up on that.

was going to be my question. I loved the book, and was thinking of seeing the movie (saw 2012 instead yesterday).

Seen them both, 2012 was allright. But the Blindside is a great movie. It was fun, but just a great all around movie. I wanted the Bills to take him at 11, but when we passed on him and the 20's started getting picked and he was still there i was really hoping he would have fallen to us.

He looked great tonight against Pit.

Any kid with that kind of a story and turns his life around like that really is something special.

The family could have taken in some kid with his background and have been extremely sorry for doing so, but he didnt do that to them.