Martz reportedly wants to be Bills coach

Reddy Freddy

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

As a 'second-tier' option, I like this. If Shanahan says no, we're pretty much out of the top guys, unless Cowher is genuine about just wanting to wait until after the season to discuss. That would be interesting though if Fewell were HC and Martz were his OC rather than Martz simply becoming HC.

how do you remember this stuff?

I actually posted about that Rams game over on Tim's blog before even coming here to look up the actual thread from back then, because the thought of April running down the Bills sideline, trailing the play while giving Martz the "how do you like me now?" business, was so damned funny. Oh, yeah. That one, I had no problem remembering.

Did take a sec to doublecheck my memory on the return man, because someone else broke a long one just before that, but didn't score. Fast Freddie Smith, I think. Here's the box score:

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2004112101/2...alyze/box-score

As far as finding the specific thread, I just did a search on "martz" and my name, knowing the approximate date of that game.

I'm going to be in the minority... but I love Mike Martz as a coach. Everywhere he has been the offense has been better when he was there and worse when he left. I could care less about running the football... all I care about is points scored, and if you look at stats every team he has been w/ was better offensively when he was there and worse when he wasn't

please no. this douche's refusal to run the ball is incredibly frustrating.

This is a valid criticism. He's a bit pass happy. The other big criticism of his system is the degree to which it leaves QBs in minimum protection and gets them beat up. There are also concerns about his "people skills."

Not that one we don't, he's the madman that spawned the Fairchild experiment and we probably still carry remnants of his madness...

Besides, Martz's last stint with the 49ers pretty much proved his offense is ineffective in this day and age in the National Football League.

If its an offensive Guru you want, someone that could reinvent what we call an NFL Offense, someone that really understands the fundamentals of football, an overachieving underdog that is as much fun to listen to as it is to watch him coach, then this is the guy for you.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/index.php?showtopic=101662

The part you bolded is not entirely correct.

2007 SF 49ers (pre-Martz) 32nd in scoring offense, 32nd in yardage offense

2008 SF 49ers (Martz) 22nd in scoring offense, 23rd in yardage offense

2009 SF 49ers (post-Martz) 19th in scoring offense, 27th in yardage offense

The offense in Detroit which he coordinated was even more dramatically better than it was before he arrived or after he left.

I would never want Martz as our head coach and probably not as our offensive coordinator. That said, he is one of the top offensive minds in football. I think he'd be better suited to a warm weather or domed stadium team though.

I think that a physical-type offense would be more befitting for our climate versus a precision-type offense like the one that Martz ran in St Louis.

Seems like the most successful stint in Buffalo Bills history was with a pass happy team. I think the whole thing that you can't pass in Buffalo in the winter is overdone. As I recall, the Juice played on a physical run happy offense that had several 2-12 seasons. It's not the system, it's the executiion. Of course we would need a good QB.

I have mixed feelings on Martz. He's farther down on my list, but definitley someone to interview/consider.

Not that one we don't, he's the madman that spawned the Fairchild experiment and we probably still carry remnants of his madness...

Besides, Martz's last stint with the 49ers pretty much proved his offense is ineffective in this day and age in the National Football League.

If its an offensive Guru you want, someone that could reinvent what we call an NFL Offense, someone that really understands the fundamentals of football, an overachieving underdog that is as much fun to listen to as it is to watch him coach, then this is the guy for you.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/index.php?showtopic=101662

The thing about Martz is the scheme he runs, he seems to put the QB under way to much pressure, his QB's always seem to take a brutal pounding

Seems like the most successful stint in Buffalo Bills history was with a pass happy team. I think the whole thing that you can't pass in Buffalo in the winter is overdone. As I recall, the Juice played on a physical run happy offense that had several 2-12 seasons. It's not the system, it's the executiion. Of course we would need a good QB.

I have mixed feelings on Martz. He's farther down on my list, but definitley someone to interview/consider.

I wouldn't call Kelly and that 90's offense pass happy, well maybe at times.

Thurman Thomas accounted for about 70% of that offense, rarely did opposing teams stop that Buffalo running game. The Bills used to run to set up the pass.

If anything they seemed to forget Thurman was the key and did go pass happy in the super bowls, I suppose that is because Kelly called his own plays. The guy sitting next to me at SB 25 mentioned Kelly is trying to win MVP he is throwing so much.

When the media asked Marv Levy why they didn't run the ball more and use Thomas more, he stated "you dance with who brought you"...

Although succesful in St Louis, Mike Martz would not be successful in Buffalo because of the windy conditions that RW Stadium deals with. His ego would not change and he would be way to pass happy. Mike Martz would make a QB look like Ryan Lindell trying to make a game winning kick from 40+ yards out :thumbsup:

Not so sure anyone can say that. I think he hasn't been the same since he was concussed by Adrian Wilson last year - so his problem is physical which may then bleed over into his mental makeup (i.e., wariness, lack of confidence).

Trent's problem is he doesn't have heart. You can't coach that.

Of course he is interested. After having two consecutive OC jobs, he realizes that no team is probably planning to chase him to be their head coach. However, the most desperate guys are the ones willing to be HC of the Raiders. Talk about fans waiting for the chief to croak, if Davis went into the black hole of their stadium, he would probably never be seen again.