Being inclined to think this Dee is NOT of Fewell's design

eSJayDee

"DT Lonnie Harvey is a behemoth at 6′3″ and 342 pounds".

Doesn't likely fit the mold of small, quick guys. The rest of our DTs are in the 300 range (Stroud being a relatively svelte 6'6" 315)

I think you may be right and I also think we will see a more aggressive defense as the rest of this season progresses...

Doesn't likely fit the mold of small, quick guys. The rest of our DTs are in the 300 range (Stroud being a relatively svelte 6'6" 315)

Well Ill tell you what, as of right now Russ Brandon is the GM. As GM he has final say on all the personnel moves. Russ Brandon also talked to Shanny last week (Brohm) to schedule a meeting, then met with him for 7 hours on Monday and Tuesday (Harvey). Shanny has been reported to be studying the 3-4 and plans to use that D with his new team. Coincidence...... I THINK NOT!

I suspect we brought this guy in based on the possibility that Shanahan will be the head coach next year; and that we'll be switching to a 3-4. That guy seems like a much better fit as a 3-4 NT than as a Tampa 2 DT.

OK if this guy was any good then wouldn't he be signed with another team? Guys who are 342 pounds and are any good would be signed by another team. Not trying to be a downer I LOVE the move from a philosophical perspective but other then the mentality of grabbing bigger players this move is pretty much a nothing move.

Don't get me wrong I like the move its just that there is a 90% possibility that this guy is nothing more then a PS player.

I suspect we brought this guy in based on the possibility that Shanahan will be the head coach next year; and that we'll be switching to a 3-4. That guy seems like a much better fit as a 3-4 NT than as a Tampa 2 DT.

Maybe he is like Maybin.. You know, listed at 342 (250) but really weighs 285(225).

OK if this guy was any good then wouldn't he be signed with another team? Guys who are 342 pounds and are any good would be signed by another team. Not trying to be a downer I LOVE the move from a philosophical perspective but other then the mentality of grabbing bigger players this move is pretty much a nothing move.

Don't get me wrong I like the move its just that there is a 90% possibility that this guy is nothing more then a PS player.

I know this is unlikely bt Pat Williams was real good and he was driving a truck when we signed him right?

here is a GREAT video of him working out for scouts...

and another of him in action...(quite a beast)...

and the tackle we picked up sounds like a potentially decent player...

Rookie OT Jason Watkins (6′6″ 325) played his college ball at Florida and started at left tackle as a junior and right tackle as a senior for the Gators. What kept him from being drafted was his ability to redirect and recover according to some draft “experts.” But you’ve got to like his size and bulk. He’s considered pretty good at the point of attack, so it’s another young prospect to groom looking toward the future. -per chris brown

Call me crazy, I doubt Shanahan's going to say "Hey, the Bills brought in some nobody for their practice squad, but he weights 342. Championship!"

The Bills have been trying to get bigger in the middle since the end of last year. They haven't been very successful. But this isn't a change in direction, it's just an attempt at finding a diamond in the rough, understanding that he's a project.

Nothing wrong with that, but it's nothing to get excited about.

here is a GREAT video of him working out for scouts...

and another of him in action...(quite a beast)...

and the tackle we picked up sounds like a potentially decent player...

Rookie OT Jason Watkins (6′6″ 325) played his college ball at Florida and started at left tackle as a junior and right tackle as a senior for the Gators. What kept him from being drafted was his ability to redirect and recover according to some draft "experts." But you've got to like his size and bulk. He's considered pretty good at the point of attack, so it's another young prospect to groom looking toward the future. -per chris brown

this guy sounds like he's the best LT on the team right now.

(He better be as he probably will be starting this week)

now if only he had a father that played in the NBA- he would be borderline Hall of Fame :thumbdown:

Call me crazy, I doubt Shanahan's going to say "Hey, the Bills brought in some nobody for their practice squad, but he weights 342. Championship!"

The Bills have been trying to get bigger in the middle since the end of last year. They haven't been very successful. But this isn't a change in direction, it's just an attempt at finding a diamond in the rough, understanding that he's a project.

Nothing wrong with that, but it's nothing to get excited about.

I agree that Shanahan's decision won't be materially influenced by this signing. But if the Bills do sign Shanahan--or some other coach who transitions this team to the 3-4--it wouldn't hurt to have a 3-4 NT on the practice squad. With only six games left on the season, it's quite possible that current practice squad additions are being evaluated primarily on their potential to contribute in future years. Future years during which we may be running a 3-4.

this guy sounds like he's the best LT on the team right now.

(He better be as he probably will be starting this week)

now if only he had a father that played in the NBA- he would be borderline Hall of Fame :)

Shoot with what we have right now...I think they BOTH sound like decent pickups. The DT played against weak talent, but I say that loosely...however, the OT played at Florida. So it is not like he was a bum. His weakness sounds very easily correctable and he has great size. I would like to see them work with him and see what happens. They have nothing to lose. Consider it like 2 extra late round draft picks. :)