Bryan Scott

PushthePile

I'm not sure if it has been mentioned but Bryan Scott had a hell of a game this weekend. I really think his performance has been lost in all of the other stories surrounding that game and the state of the franchise. Scott might not be the long term answer at LB but he is an absolute gamer. IMO, it's a must that this guy gets a nice chunk of playing time next year as well.

It's not the first time he has showed up big for the team but it might be his best game yet. I meant to mention it before now but got caught up with so much else that is going on with the team. Anyway, I'm impressed with this guys play and his versatility.

This weekend he accounted for 10 tackles all solo, 1 sack, 1forced fumble, and one pass deflection into the arms of George Wilson. Again, it's doubtful that he is the longterm OLB answer given his size, but this guy makes plays.

I'm not sure if it has been mentioned but Bryan Scott had a hell of a game this weekend. I really think his performance has been lost in all of the other stories surrounding that game and the state of the franchise. Scott might not be the long term answer at LB but he is an absolute gamer. IMO, it's a must that this guy gets a nice chunk of playing time next year as well.

It's not the first time he has showed up big for the team but it might be his best game yet. I meant to mention it before now but got up with so much else that is going on with the team. Anyway, I'm impressed with this guys play and his versatility.

This weekend he accounted for 10 tackles all solo, 1 sack, 1forced fumble, and one pass deflection into the arms of George Wilson. Again, it's doubtful that he is the longterm OLB answer given his size but this guy makes plays.

So do Byrd and Wilson. All bets are off with the upcoming housecleaning, but Lil Donte may be in trouble.

Guest dog14787
Forgot to mention the plays he made at the LOS or in the backfield. :lol:

I agree,

Its actually pretty amazing how hard our defense has fought all year long even though its been all for not.

Kyle Williams also had a hell of a game.

All credit to Scott.

It's become painfully clear Whitner is the 4th best safety on the team.

Scott was playing WLB. I'd still rather see Whitner paired-up with Byrd. Athough I'd rather Byrd were inactivated for the rest of the year, to avoid further injury.

And once again the offense fails to show up. Although injuries are really killing the team this year.

I agree,

Its actually pretty amazing how hard our defense has fought all year long even though its been all for not.

Kyle Williams also had a hell of a game.

Yes he did. I agree dog, the D should be proud of their season. They have their shortcomings but given the circumstances, they have done well.

Whitner is now expendable. We have some very good safties and corners. Drayton Florence has silently been playing some excellent shut down corner also. He gives up a play here and there, but he is always very tight on his man. Youboty has seen his better days. I hope the new regime takes a close look at the play of Scott, Wilson, and Florence before they make cuts. With all the picks in the secondary, I think we have plenty of starters and depth to where we don't have to draft any help there this year. We need alot of help (still) along both lines and linebackers though. Chris Draft has also looked pretty decent, and could provide depth next year. One thing about injuries is gives us experience for our bench and an opportunity to see what we got.

It's not the first time he has showed up big for the team but it might be his best game yet. I meant to mention it before now but got up with so much else that is going on with the team. Anyway, I'm impressed with this guys play and his versatility.

This weekend he accounted for 10 tackles all solo, 1 sack, 1forced fumble, and one pass deflection into the arms of George Wilson. Again, it's doubtful that he is the longterm OLB answer given his size but this guy makes plays.

Any new coach will be going to a 3-4 and guys like Scott who are too small even for the 4-3 tampa-2 are WAY too small to be LBs in a 3-4. No Bryan Scott next year. Or Ellison either. This thing is getting blown up.

So what's our ideal starting 11, if all are healthy?

Schobel-Stroud-Williams-Kelsay

Scott-Posluszny-Mitchell

McKelvin-McGee

Byrd-Wilson?

What's screaming for an upgrade there? DE and LB?

The team is going 3-4 next year in all likelihood, leaving Schobel, Scott, Wilson, Williams out in the cold. They will need to sign one of the 4 big time nose tackle free agents and draft a big strong LB to play inside with Poz. Mitchell to the outside with a FA LB. Secondary: neither Wilson nor Whitner work, but Whitner probably a better fit. The wild card will be whether Stroud and Kelsay can move to 3-4 ends and can Maybin transition to LB. Green Bay did the same transition this year. Same thing coming for the Bills next year. the current defensive scheme is getting blown up, thankfully...

Any new coach will be going to a 3-4 and guys like Scott who are too small even for the 4-3 tampa-2 are WAY too small to be LBs in a 3-4. No Bryan Scott next year. Or Ellison either. This thing is getting blown up.

You don't know that. Besides Scott's natural position is safety.

People keep saying that this whole thing is getting blown up. What does that mean exactly? A few guys get moved and a few get cut? Big deal. That happens every year.

You don't know that. Besides Scott's natural position is safety.

People keep saying that this whole thing is getting blown up. What does that mean exactly? A few guys get moved and a few get cut? Big deal. That happens every year.

I'd like to see Scott manning the strong safety position in a 3-4...those tough veteran safeties always seem to make the best SS's in that defense.

The team is going 3-4 next year in all likelihood, leaving Schobel, Scott, Wilson, Williams out in the cold. They will need to sign one of the 4 big time nose tackle free agents and draft a big strong LB to play inside with Poz. Mitchell to the outside with a FA LB. Secondary: neither Wilson nor Whitner work, but Whitner probably a better fit. The wild card will be whether Stroud and Kelsay can move to 3-4 ends and can Maybin transition to LB. Green Bay did the same transition this year. Same thing coming for the Bills next year. the current defensive scheme is getting blown up, thankfully...

Great post. You are quite correct to point out the switch can not be made with stroud at NT. He is too tall and not wide enough. I would not give up on Schobel / Williams though. I fully realize Schobel would be a very small 3-4 DE but the guy brings it. He has 6 sacks on a team that rarely has to defend the pass in obvious passing situations. Stroud should be able to move to a 3-4 DE and hopefully Schobel can hold down the other spot. He may be trade bait. Williams probably can man the NT spot on passing downs. True NT's rarely play 3rd down. Maybin needs to be moved to OLB whether they switch or not.

Why does everyone think G. Wilson is so good? Just because he used to be a WR and he is an ok defensive player? Whitner was playing well at FS before the injury. I suspect the SS job is still his to lose when his ankle is 100%. He got most of his snaps at FS or nickel/dime units. Just speculating but I suspect that was to keep him out of the box and reduce the chance of reinjuring the ankle.