Say what you want about Ralph

People seem to think that Ralph has always hired no name coaches. I was only 6 years old or so, but I remember being wowed when they hired John Rauch from the Raiders. The Raiders were the best in the AFL........And, then he hired Chuck Knox after Knox had led the Rams to 5 straight division titles. These were really big names at those times.

People seem to think that Ralph has always hired no name coaches. I was only 6 years old or so, but I remember being wowed when they hired John Rauch from the Raiders. The Raiders were the best in the AFL........And, then he hired Chuck Knox after Knox had led the Rams to 5 straight division titles. These were really big names at those times.

Excellent points, and those two hires show the unpredictability of coaching hires. Both of those were high-profile, big-name hires. Rauch turned out to be a disaster—pig-headed, and determined to demolish the team and start over—and failed; Knox was a success.

of course you realize its not really ralph

jim and thurm and darryl pitched in and had animatronics installed in ralphs body and are controlling everything he does

so yeah, it might really get done this time. right after they xfer that ten mil each into their own accts, which im fine with

He's not addressing the team's most glaring need, in my opinion, and trying to find a GM to supplant the Keystone Cops in our FO. And THEN, when a GM is hired, we can then let HIM decide with Ralph who the best HC is. This whole "coach search" isn't happening the right way at all, IMO. But gosh, everybody's all excited, aren't they? :)

He's not addressing the team's most glaring need, in my opinion, and trying to find a GM to supplant the Keystone Cops in our FO. And THEN, when a GM is hired, we can then let HIM decide with Ralph who the best HC is. This whole "coach search" isn't happening the right way at all, IMO. But gosh, everybody's all excited, aren't they? :wallbash:

Agreed...but if you want the marquis names, you have to give them total control. Do I think that's a good idea. No. But right now I'm in the minority. Hire Chris Polian or Randy Mueller as GM right now then hire a good up-and-coming coach. Trestmann, maybe?

PTR

I just don't see any top names wanting to come here, even if it's just for the money, because of the way ownership meddles in the affairs of the team - it's a breeding ground for toxicity. Listening to former GM's, Ralph is the kind of boss you hate to work for, and word spreads fast in a small community like NFL ownership and coaching. People like Shanahan or Cowher don't need this place, and don't need the headache that is Ralph Wilson.

i have been very critical of our owner. I am waiting and watching... surprised at the developments I am hearing.

its also not as if the coordinators we hired were bad - williams and mularkey were both huge names out there. the only really bad hire was jauron. don't get me wrong, hes a solid DC and a good "teacher of men" but we had to know better....

I just don't see any top names wanting to come here, even if it's just for the money, because of the way ownership meddles in the affairs of the team - it's a breeding ground for toxicity. Listening to former GM's, Ralph is the kind of boss you hate to work for, and word spreads fast in a small community like NFL ownership and coaching. People like Shanahan or Cowher don't need this place, and don't need the headache that is Ralph Wilson.

he doesn't meddle, i dont know where you hear that from. he is the anti-jerry jones and anti-dan snyder - those are owners who are hands on and get in the way of things... RW is 91, he's old. he wants to meet with the coach once every few weeks in detroit. thats about it. he's pretty much as hands off as you can get...

now jeff littman and jim overdorf..... thats a different question.

but at least he's calling....Shanahan, Marty, Cowher...I am actually getting excited about his willingness to do this...In the past, he would simply look at all the cheap guys...

So what? Calling means nothing, actually signing someone is what counts. I am sure we will hear the 'we tried' bull **** and be stuck with another worthless coach while ralph pockets more millions

He's not addressing the team's most glaring need, in my opinion, and trying to find a GM to supplant the Keystone Cops in our FO. And THEN, when a GM is hired, we can then let HIM decide with Ralph who the best HC is. This whole "coach search" isn't happening the right way at all, IMO. But gosh, everybody's all excited, aren't they? :wallbash:

Whoever they decide to hire, the most important thing is that the owner is in sync w/ management who is in sync w/ the coach. Hiring an experienced personnel guy who isn't on the same page as the owner and coach won't work (will it, Vinny Cerrato?) nor will hiring a coach who isn't on the same page w/ management and ownership (right, Marty Schottenheimer?). Having everyone on the same page, and having a semblance of a plan, is the only way things will improve in Buffalo.

And how long ago were those moves? I hope he is really trying to get a good name coach in here, not just trying to satisfy the faithful fans by making it look like he is. It is going to take an uncharacteristic move by Ralph in spending alot of money to convince any of those big names to come here, with the mess the organization is in, there isn't much other incentive to come here, especially when there will be other teams trying to sign them too.

So what? Calling means nothing, actually signing someone is what counts. I am sure we will hear the 'we tried' bull **** and be stuck with another worthless coach while ralph pockets more millions

Jesus Christ himself could be named head coach of the Bills and within a month you'd be crying about something.