WW2 in HD

kegtapr

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very good series so far :unsure:

I agree. The world wars of the previous century hold great interest to me, and I've seen most documentaries, from many different nations' perspective. This series is unique in that it encompasses all the activitiy going on (Pacific and Atlantic/Asian and European theaters) at the same time. Typically, it's one or the other. I was sharing my own knowledge of the campaigns with the Mrs. and she kept asking how I knew they've switched back to the Pacific battles from Africa/Europe.

It really brings home the commitment of every American at that time. through the very real threat of invasions on our land from east, west and south.

Few Americans today, and probably no-one under 30, realize we were the 17th rated military in the world at the time of the Pearl Harbor attack. Then we lost most of our Pacific Naval fleet! 3.5 years later, our Greatest Generation lifted us to the status of greatest nation on earth.

Few Americans today, and probably no-one under 30, realize we were the 17th rated military in the world at the time of the Pearl Harbor attack.

most people under 30 probably couldnt tell you who the United states fought.

most people under 30 probably couldnt tell you who the United states fought.

As someone who just turned 30, unfortunetly there is a lot of truth to that. It's going to be a sad day when the last of the greatest generation die. I've always considered myself lucky to hear the first hand accounts from my grandfather, who was stationed with Macarthur in the Philippians.

I've been watching it as well, it's a really great series. Has a Ken Burns feel to it, but it moves along at a better pace than Burnsey's show.

I never understood though, what good did it do for the us to burn Atlanta, it didn't really hasten the end of WWII and why did we burn our own property? :rolleyes:

I have been watching it, but maybe not as impressed as you all have been. Not to say I haven't enjoyed it, just maybe my expectations were to great. Could be I am so used to the B&W film, that this somehow does not feel "right " to me, kinda like a colorized B&W film.

But it always amazes when I think I know all there is to know about that war, i have learned at least two or three things a night from this series, such as the size of our military force at the end of 1939.

I have been watching it, but maybe not as impressed as you all have been. Not to say I haven't enjoyed it, just maybe my expectations were to great. Could be I am so used to the B&W film, that this somehow does not feel "right " to me, kinda like a colorized B&W film.

But it always amazes when I think I know all there is to know about that war, i have learned at least two or three things a night from this series, such as the size of our military force at the end of 1939.

The color is what makes it feel more real to me. B&W always makes it seem like a different world, that it's not even real. I can't get attached to B&W footage.

There was a series about the great depression from not to long ago with color footage that completly changed my image about it.

Or gangs.

So true!

If you were believe the producers of "Gangland" Colorado Springs is a city at a crossroads. It's the ground zero battle ground between the police and the Sons of Silence biker gang, which controls the city's "seedy" underground. According to the show nothing happens in this town unless the SoS allows it to happen. :unsure:

I've lived here almost 15 years and have seen this gang exactly twice... maybe I need visit the "seedy" underground?

I agree. The world wars of the previous century hold great interest to me, and I've seen most documentaries, from many different nations' perspective. This series is unique in that it encompasses all the activitiy going on (Pacific and Atlantic/Asian and European theaters) at the same time. Typically, it's one or the other. I was sharing my own knowledge of the campaigns with the Mrs. and she kept asking how I knew they've switched back to the Pacific battles from Africa/Europe.

It really brings home the commitment of every American at that time. through the very real threat of invasions on our land from east, west and south.

Few Americans today, and probably no-one under 30, realize we were the 17th rated military in the world at the time of the Pearl Harbor attack. Then we lost most of our Pacific Naval fleet! 3.5 years later, our Greatest Generation lifted us to the status of greatest nation on earth.

WWII absolutely fascinates me. It was the biggest event in history. My father fought in Patton's Third Army.......I would be very interested to see where the rankings would be of the different militaries from back then, and even from now. Can you tell me where you got that info about 17th ranked?