Coaching Carousel time

FightClub

Thought it might be a good time to give the coaching carousel a spin. Here are the teams I expect to have vacancies after this season, in descending order of the most desirable job / most money to spend:

Washington - Bill Cowher

Dallas - Mike Shanahan

Chicago - ____________

Seattle (GM only) - Mike Holmgren

Carolina - ____________

Cleveland - Marty Schottenheimer

Jacksonville - Jon Gruden

Buffalo - ______________

Oakland - _____________

The rest of the teams that are bad already have first year young coaches he will be given a chance. I also expect several veteran coaches to survive, as one bad season will not deter the stable ownership at most of those teams (Fisher, Coughlin)

The remaining 4 spots can be filled with a combination of coordinators, Brian Billick, and the fired coaches worth re-hiring (Lovie Smith, maybe Del Rio)

Care to fill in the blanks? I had a hard time giving Billick to the Bills, as I would really prefer Schottenheimer, but I think Cleveland might reach into their past, and if this was a draft on desirable teams for a coach to go to, we'd only be picking ahead of the Raiders.

Thought it might be a good time to give the coaching carousel a spin. Here are the teams I expect to have vacancies after this season, in descending order of the most desirable job / most money to spend:

Washington - Bill Cowher

Dallas - Mike Shanahan

Chicago - ____________

Carolina - ____________

Buffalo - ______________

Oakland - _____________

The rest of the teams that are bad already have first year young coaches he will be given a chance. I also expect several veteran coaches to survive, as one bad season will not deter the stable ownership at most of those teams (Fisher, Coughlin)

The remaining 4 spots can be filled with a combination of coordinators, Brian Billick, and the fired coaches worth re-hiring (Lovie Smith, maybe Del Rio)

Care to fill in the blanks? I had a hard time giving Billick to the Bills, as I would really prefer Schottenheimer, but I think Cleveland might reach into their past, and if this was a draft on desirable teams for a coach to go to, we'd only be picking ahead of the Raiders.

I understand the Jacksonville appeal to Gruden but I don't see him going to a franchise that may be sold and move. Not that I think he'll end up with the Bills...just don't think Jacksonville gets a name coach.

Washington - Bill Cowher

Dallas - Mike Shanahan

Chicago - ____________

Carolina - ____________

Buffalo - ______________

Oakland - _____________

Buffalo -- Sanjay Lal. Sanjay, a relative unknown, is the wide receivers coach for the Raiders. I hear he interviews very well and has assembled a notebook (3 ring) of all the top assistants available throughout Pop Warner and mid level high schools. My sources tell me that Ralph has OK'd the marketing whiz to give up a 2nd round pick to secure his services.

Yeah, I see the Jags as THE team that moves to Los Angeles when a stadium is built. They simply can't sell out the stadium, ever. Gruden has been on the West Coast before, and has also come out while in Tampa and expressed his love of Florida.

There are way too many intangibles, though.

Does Carolina stick with John Fox? I could see Gruden going to Carolina.

And I wouldn't rule Gruden out in Buffalo- though fantasy-land as it may sound. Vic Carucci had posted in an NFL blog that the Bills will be looking at serious regime change this offseason. There was an earlier report about the Bills being interested in former Bucs GM Bruce Allen. If Bruce Allen came to Buffalo, I could see Gruden here.

Holmgren has said that he wants to coach on the east coast, and is looking for GM duties. He has also come out prior to that and stated that he would like to handle GM duties in Seattle. One thing is for sure, Washington is out after his comments about how they handled the Zorn situation. Cleveland has said that Holmgren is their guy, but when he was speaking about wanting to coach on the east coast was he speaking about Cleveland? For some reason, and with him being a former Bill Walsh assistant, and having Walsh recommended Edwards to the Bills...just thinkin'...perhaps, PERHAPS he likes what he sees in Edwards and wants to come to the Bills?

I can also see Schottenheimer in Buffalo. He has ties to the club having been a player, and his style of football would match the colder weather and attitude of Bills fans.

I can't stand Brian Billick so please cease and desist with those ideas.

Why is Jacksonville firing Del Rio? They're 5-4, soon to be 6-4.

Good point about Jax, but I think they are at a point where they need to make the playoffs and win at least one game (too many seasons at .500, like the Bills). And I don't think they are going to do that, I think they will have another later season collapse. I could be wrong, which would be great, one less opening for the Bills to compete with.

Yes, perhaps Gruden would go to Carolina instead of Jax. I considered that, but decided to keep in FL.

Washington - Bill Cowher

Dallas - Mike Shanahan

Chicago - ____________

Carolina - ____________

Buffalo - ______________

Oakland - _____________

Jim Haslett from the undefeated Florida Tuskers of the UFL... Play Jp in the Championship game next week...

Good point about Jax, but I think they are at a point where they need to make the playoffs and win at least one game (too many seasons at .500, like the Bills). And I don't think they are going to do that, I think they will have another later season collapse. I could be wrong, which would be great, one less opening for the Bills to compete with.

Yes, perhaps Gruden would go to Carolina instead of Jax. I considered that, but decided to keep in FL.

Washington - Bill Cowher

Dallas - Mike Shanahan

Chicago - ____________

Carolina - ____________

Buffalo - ______________

Oakland - _____________

Cowher would never go to the Skins he is too smart to get caught up in Snyder's mess. i think that both Washington and Oakland are the worst coaching positions potentially available due to their meddlesome owners.

I would actually guess that Buffalo would be a great situation for a coach to step into.

They have quality players at several positions, have been decimated by injuries the last two years. With the injured players returning, and the ability to come in and direct the misguided incumbents and have control in the selection of the missing pieces, you could be a hero inside of one good year.

Where's my phone, I'm calling Chucky and I am going to run this by him.

Ralph won't fire Dick during the season. Other teams will scoop up the best coaches and GM's available. If Dick can't be coerced into resigning after the season, we will be Dicked again next year.

Agree that Ralph will keep Jauron the rest of the season.

Since there are only 2 "winnable" games left for the Bills (NYJ & KC), they will most likely finish around 5-11. Ralph knows that the fans, who have been screaming for Jauron's firing since last season, will be leaving in droves along with their money if Jauron is back.

That being said, if Jauron does come back next year, that does not bode well for the future of the Bills in Buffalo as Ralph would almost certainly be making his exit plan.

russ grimm. wants a chance at beeing HC and deserves one. and beeing an OL and having spent time in pittsburgh he knows about the importance of building a team inside-out.

and maybe wade phillips will come in as DC and get something out of maybin in his 34 defense.......