Who should be at QB?

duey

This from Tim Graham on ESPN.com:

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/...t-edwards-at-qb

Should the Bills reinstall Trent Edwards at QB?

November 11, 2009 10:09 AM

Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Graham

Buffalo Bills quarterback Trent Edwards said on Monday he feels ready to come back from a concussion that kept him from finishing one game and starting two more before going on the bye week.

But should Edwards get his job back?

The Bills' offense has struggled regardless of the quarterback. Buffalo ranks 29th in total offense, 30th in passing offense.

The Bills did go 2-1 with Ryan Fitzpatrick at the helm, but he managed consecutive games with single-digit first downs. We're not sure if head coach Dick Jauron has made up his mind yet. He hasn't spoken to reporters in a week, but is scheduled to talk Wednesday afternoon.

Jauron's decision will depend on what the Bills want to accomplish the rest of the season. Maybe they want to continue to learn if Edwards can be their leading man. Maybe they want to shake things up.

Perhaps they simply want the quarterback who gives them the best chance to win.

That answer isn't obvious, but ESPN Stats & Information data digger Matt Lyon passed along some interesting stats that illustrate the differences between Edwards and Fitzpatrick.

Fitzpatrick takes more shots down the field. In fact, he ranks third in the NFL when measuring how many yards in the air his attempts travel. Fitzpatrick averages 10.0 yards per throw, behind JaMarcus Russell (10.6 yards) and Aaron Rodgers (10.1 yards).

Edwards, aka Captain Checkdown, averages 7.5 yards in the air per throw. That ranks tied for 34th among passers with at least 50 attempts. Fitzpatrick has done well in the red zone, completing 66.7 percent of his passes with one touchdown and no interceptions for a 108.6 passer rating. Edwards has completed 42.9 percent with three touchdowns, no interceptions and 89.9 passer rating.

Against standard defensive pressure, Fitzpatrick ranks last among all quarterbacks who've made at least 40 attempts. Fitzpatrick has completed 58.5 percent of his passes with zero touchdowns and three interceptions for a 39.1 rating. Edwards has completed 63 percent with one touchdown and three interceptions and a 69.6 rating.

When defenses send five or more pass-rushers, Fitzpatrick is better. His completion percentage is only 41.4 percent, but he's more careful with the ball, throwing two TDs and no interceptions. Edwards has completed 54.1 percent with four TDs and three interceptions.

Damn we're pathetic. :pirate:

This from Tim Graham on ESPN.com:

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/...t-edwards-at-qb

Damn we're pathetic. :pirate:

Someone made a mistake. In one paragraph it credits Fitzgerald with one TD in the red zone for a 108.6 passer rating. (which is true)

In another it say he has ZERO TD's with a 39.1 rating. (which is false)

That said, I agree Trent should start if healthy.

Interesting tidbit. I wasn't aware that TE is 14-15 since entering the league. Big question remains "is it him or the line around him ?"

Both.

I am not surprised at all, given our streak of 7-9 seasons, it was pretty likley that the starter would be 14-15, not so bad, not so good. That is exactly what Trent is. Just like Jauron is not quite good enough of a coach to get anywhere but not quite bad enough to fire, Trent is not quite good enough to be the guy, not quite bad enough to bench.

You know you have a franchise quarterback when you don't have to ask yourself questions like, is it him or the line around him? A guy that good stands out, even behind a crappy line. Kelly went 4-12 and 6-6 his first two years and was sacked 43 times that first year. Yet, by half time of his first game against the Jets, we knew we had our guy. I still watch that sucker on youtube now and then.

Gawd. We didn't know how good we had it. I wish I could look up some of the fans from back then who used to complain about Kelly. Jeez. Some of his worst games would beat the crap out of what we regularly see now.

Interesting tidbit. I wasn't aware that TE is 14-15 since entering the league. Big question remains "is it him or the line around him ?"

The "BILLS" did go 14 - 15 with Trent at the helm. Another "big" question in my mind is how good could the Bills record have been with a different QB? Let's hope Trent figures out how to get to the next level and become a QB that can be a game winning asset for his team not just a guy that is supposed to minimize mistakes and check down.

Also a personal rant. I AM NOT SAYING THIS IS YOU. I still don't know why there are some people out there that use the O-line as an excuse for Trent's poor play but think they are somehow great run blockers and that Lynch is a bad RB that dances too much.

With that sieve sometimes referred to as offensive line it doesn't matter whether the starter is Trent, Ryan, Peyton Manning or Tom Brady!

To an extent you have a point but good QBs have a tendency to make suspect lines look better. Getting blocking assignments sorted, pointing out the Mike LB, hitting quick slant passes, calling an audible to a more appropriate play, TALKING TO HIS O-LINE ON THE SIDELINE ABOUT WHAT HE SEES AND WHAT THEY NEED TO DO TO BETTER BLOCK THE PRESSURE THE DEFENSE BRINGS!!!

Is it just me or does Trent just NOT talk to anyone on the sidelines? I see QBs who are good leaders constantly talking to their WRs, O-linemen RBs. I see none of that with Trent. I see him go to the bench and sit by himself after every stalled and or embarrassing drive.

The "BILLS" did go 14 - 15 with Trent at the helm. Another "big" question in my mind is how good could the Bills record have been with a different QB? Let's hope Trent figures out how to get to the next level and become a QB that can be a game winning asset for his team not just a guy that is supposed to minimize mistakes and check down.

Also a personal rant. I AM NOT SAYING THIS IS YOU. I still don't know why there are some people out there that use the O-line as an excuse for Trent's poor play but think they are somehow great run blockers and that Lynch is a bad RB that dances too much.

The line is better at run blocking than at pass protection. Also, on a running play, you can design the play such that the ball carrier is supposed to go where your best blockers are. Thus taking advantage of the strengths of your line.

On a pass play, the fact that, say, your RG can block the guy in front of him for five seconds or more doesn't matter if your LT merely waves at the RDE as he runs by.

As much as I hate to say, I'd say start Trent. I know Fitz pulled us out in NY and Carolina, but for large parts of those games he didn't look good. He looked horrible against Houston. No first downs in the 2nd half until 3:00 to go. Garbage time. He looked horrible. He's so inaccurate. I wonder how a guy can be that inaccurate and play in the NFL for 5 years. Baffles me. But really I'd rather see Hamdan.

Some on here in the past have said they wish they could put JP's arm and Trent's mind together. I have a better idea. Put Trent's arm with Fitz' brain.

Go Trent !!

Go BILLS !!