Howard Simon this am

jahbonas

lol.....so they need to talk about sports 100% of the time to satisfy you? or change the name of the station.....funny stuff

Ha...well your right it is funny stuff the way they advertise sports and talk about everything else that they could easily talk about off the air.

I am not asking for sports 100% of the time, but 3 to 4 hours on actors? Come on....this radio station is a joke.

hahahahahah

very funny stuff....

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yea.....a sports talk radio station needs to talk sports......that's the point.

it's too bad that WGR spends time blogging on here defending themselves.....nobody else believes they are worth the time of day.

When have they done that? Can't remember the last time anyone from the station logged in here; it's been a while.

BTW, thanks for the info, PTR. It was always fun to listen to Howard's game calls on the radio -- not quite Gus Johnson's ear-splitting level when something happened, but he got pretty close a couple of times.

UB plays a home game and is nationally televised on ESPN2

Does howard Simon attend the game? no

Does he watch the game at home on ESPN2? no

He instead brags about instead watching an ESPN show on jimmy the greek and then on this morning's show makes the whole early discussion about gambling and sports and how he does not gamble etccc

Helloooo?? Wouldnt it be his job to watch the nationally televised UB game and then discuss it this morning?

The ESPN30 show will be repeated numerous times...

Its just more evidence these guys (Howard & Jeremy) are not native Buffalo guys....Jeremy cheered when Scott Norwoods kick went wide right...and Howard will talk for a week about driving home to Long Island to attend his Mets game but cannot even attent or watch the game on ESPN2

UB is small potatoes!

ya know, I can see where the argument comes from but the way I see it is simple:

I'm sure there are alot of die hard UB fans, but not a demanding amount. We don't live in the south, college football isn't huge here and it never will be. UB was good last year, which caused all of the fair weather fans to come out of the woodwork because for the first time in a long time Buffalo had a winning team. Howard and Jeremy had Turner Gil on all of the time last year. Now that the team has come back down to normal (average at best, just like the Bills) the demand for the team has went down. I am sure once they stumble upon a good season again they will find a way to get them into the rotation.

Howard and Jeremy are great in the morning, they actually listen to the callers and let them speak and share their opinion.

Schopp and the Bulldog on the other hand is a different story. Schopp is one of the biggest aholes around. Never lets callers finish, he is always right, and if he doesn't agree with the caller they are automatically wrong. It's funny that people even bother calling these two idiots, listeners ask "Hey how are you doing" and you get a fast snippy "fine" like you should apologize for asking how they are doing? What a joke. I've heard a caller say "Don't worry I won't ask how you are doing", callers should not have to do that. They are the reason these idiots are still on the air.

And it's funny cause whenever Schopp is not in, Bulldog does not act anything like he does when Schopp is around. You can ask "how are you doing" and Bulldog will give a nie "i'm doing good thank you".

Schopp is just a straight up ass.

I miss Jim Brinson, WNSA was a great station. And i'd love to replace Brinson with Schopp anyday. Hell, replace Zig with Bulldog as well. WNSA was a class station and I really miss it. It was great being able to listen to the Sabres games at night and hear them clearly. GR's signal sucks.

When have they done that? Can't remember the last time anyone from the station logged in here; it's been a while.

BTW, thanks for the info, PTR. It was always fun to listen to Howard's game calls on the radio -- not quite Gus Johnson's ear-splitting level when something happened, but he got pretty close a couple of times.

Hey Lori: with all due respect, you don't think it's possible that at least one or two of those guys (Whitey, Bulldog, Mandola, etc.) have an anonymous account on this board? Several of them do sometimes reference this site.

Now, for the other posters on this topic: Colin Cowherd (for some reason, not liked on this board) covered this exact topic yesterday on his show. He said his show, & ESPN, etc. are a buffet. Ie., they have something for everyone - but are not there to "Break down the games" only. Now, while I agree that talking about actors isn't sports, sometimes, WGR, ESPN, FAN 590, etc., will hit on an "Off Topic" that is interesting.

Also, I'm not here to defend WGR, but as a radio listener, when I don't like their topic (I missed the entire actor draft thing, on purpose) I turn on Sirius NFL Radio, or listen to CDs. What's the big f-in' deal?

BTW, don't posters on this board like to go "OT" sometimes? Seems like a lot more so lately. Maybe it's b/c it's just plain boring to talk about our beloved Bills? You think? If WGR missed talking about the UB game, that's their problem and if it's a big deal, then they'll suffer the consequences. If there's a demand that they talk about UB more often, I'm sure they will. But the sad truth is, there likely really isn't much of a demand out there to talk about it...

Finally, while I have your attention, I wish WGR would get rid of Mike Schlepp Schopp (SP?) he is a disservice to all Bills Fans!

Hey Lori: with all due respect, you don't think it's possible that at least one or two of those guys (Whitey, Bulldog, Mandola, etc.) have an anonymous account on this board? Several of them do sometimes reference this site.

Howard, Jeremy, and Nick all have accounts here under their own names. I was referring to the "blogging on here defending themselves" line, and I'm reasonably sure none of them are doing that, even under a pseudonym. For one thing, if anyone ever found out that they were, they'd never hear the end of the ridicule. (See: Golden State Warriors front-office guy who got busted doing that last spring.)

Schopp and the Bulldog on the other hand is a different story. Schopp is one of the biggest aholes around. Never lets callers finish, he is always right, and if he doesn't agree with the caller they are automatically wrong. It's funny that people even bother calling these two idiots, listeners ask "Hey how are you doing" and you get a fast snippy "fine" like you should apologize for asking how they are doing? What a joke. I've heard a caller say "Don't worry I won't ask how you are doing", callers should not have to do that. They are the reason these idiots are still on the air.

Sounds like he went to the Mike Francessa school of sports talk radio.

btw...who went first in the actor's draft? :lol:

No, it really isn't their job, any more than it's the News' job to cheerlead for the Bills and Sabres. If those teams want advertising, they can pay for it.

Just curious, since I don't get Time Warner SportsNet Buffalo out here in the boonies: how many UB games has Simon done for TV this season? I've heard at least one (when I was visiting family up there), and I know that he did the local-access TV broadcasts last year after losing the radio play-by-play gig when they switched from WGR to WECK.

Funny but apparently its ok to "cheerlead/promote" if its about a team (Sabres) that has them do the radio broadcast and not do similar to UB because they chose another radio station....? thats highly professional too???

Also..there is a huge difference between reporting on an upcoming event....and 'promoting'....talking a lot about UB football the day they play a night game on ESPN2 and talking about the actual game the following day is REPORTING it...its not promoting....and yes when you do not even Report on it...its wrong...

Consider this...the morning that TO show was going to air that night...all they talked about was TO reality show...then the next morning all talk was on the show they watched........so once again the decision makers on a SPORTS program decide thats ok to do for a TO reality 30 minute show.....but not for UB football watched on ESPN2

As for Shoop...its "OFF TOPIC" when he spends time talking the Bills or Sabres...he openly admits he is bored talking football........he'd rather talk tennis or soccer....in Buffalo NY ????? its a joke...but they have a monoploy and this get ratings.....any type of competition would bury these guys

Funny but apparently its ok to "cheerlead/promote" if its about a team (Sabres) that has them do the radio broadcast and not do similar to UB because they chose another radio station....? thats highly professional too???

Also..there is a huge difference between reporting on an upcoming event....and 'promoting'....talking a lot about UB football the day they play a night game on ESPN2 and talking about the actual game the following day is REPORTING it...its not promoting....and yes when you do not even Report on it...its wrong...

Consider this...the morning that TO show was going to air that night...all they talked about was TO reality show...then the next morning all talk was on the show they watched........so once again the decision makers on a SPORTS program decide thats ok to do for a TO reality 30 minute show.....but not for UB football watched on ESPN2

As for Shoop...its "OFF TOPIC" when he spends time talking the Bills or Sabres...he openly admits he is bored talking football........he'd rather talk tennis or soccer....in Buffalo NY ????? its a joke...but they have a monoploy and this get ratings.....any type of competition would bury these guys

Besides shoppe being one of the biggest aholes there are, that is my biggest complaint. I still remember 2yrs ago when HSBC was hosting the 1st 2 rnds of the NCAA tourney & they hardly even bothered mentioning it & when they did they made fun of the tournament. Bulldog openly bragged that he has not watched a college basketball game all year & Schoppe was trying to be funny making fun of Drake being in the tournament. If that moron would of watched one saturday of college basketball that year, he would of realized that Drake was one of the best stories of the year & were a dam good team. F*ck those 2 losers. I do not listen to them anymore & the only time I will tune that station in when Schop/bull dog are on is when they have sully on because I like to hear what he has to say.

Remember when ESPN used to have NHL 2Night every night? Remember when they used to show hockey highlights on Sportscenter? Remember when NASCAR used to be relegated to the 58th minute of the 60 minute Sportscenter, until ESPN signed a television deal with them, and now they spend 15 minutes on it???

Promoting your own station is the essence of professional, that's what they're paid to do. You're really shooting the messenger here. WGR (or ESPN) is a sports station, and all sports will get the "gloss over", even UB football. But they are not going to go out of their way to promote something that 1) Doesn't help their station, and 2) Doesn't have a huge following anyways. At the point that they were talking about T.O., lets face it, T.O. was a HUGE storyline in Buffalo. It was a Bills player in the "entertainment" world for the first time in a long time. People were interested. I'm sorry to disappoint you, but nobody is really interested in a 3-7 UB team.

Did you listen to their whole 4-hour show, or are you just pissed that they weren't discussing what YOU wanted to hear for the 20 minutes you were in your car???

And since when did "THEY PLAYED ON ESPN2" mean anything? Just because something is on national TV doesn't mean it's newsworthy. They show drag racing on ESPN2, and there was a guy from Buffalo racing, should they spend 45 minutes on it?

Remember when ESPN used to have NHL 2Night every night? Remember when they used to show hockey highlights on Sportscenter? Remember when NASCAR used to be relegated to the 58th minute of the 60 minute Sportscenter, until ESPN signed a television deal with them, and now they spend 15 minutes on it???

Promoting your own station is the essence of professional, that's what they're paid to do. You're really shooting the messenger here. WGR (or ESPN) is a sports station, and all sports will get the "gloss over", even UB football. But they are not going to go out of their way to promote something that 1) Doesn't help their station, and 2) Doesn't have a huge following anyways. At the point that they were talking about T.O., lets face it, T.O. was a HUGE storyline in Buffalo. It was a Bills player in the "entertainment" world for the first time in a long time. People were interested. I'm sorry to disappoint you, but nobody is really interested in a 3-7 UB team.

Did you listen to their whole 4-hour show, or are you just pissed that they weren't discussing what YOU wanted to hear for the 20 minutes you were in your car???

And since when did "THEY PLAYED ON ESPN2" mean anything? Just because something is on national TV doesn't mean it's newsworthy. They show drag racing on ESPN2, and there was a guy from Buffalo racing, should they spend 45 minutes on it?

Talking about UB football the day of a nationally televised ESPN2 game and then discussing the game the next day is NOT promoting UB....its REPORTING it........

Promoting UB would be discussing the game every day for a full week prior....

As is often pointed out here by many posters already (who are sports fans)

These guys mock the following

NFL Draft

NBA Playoffs

NCAA Tournament

Breeders Cup --- oops they dont even know what that is..but they openly talk about watching NHL preseason games

Its a joke... ...its so blatant its hard to believe any defenders are not media types themselves defending their own

Talking about UB football the day of a nationally televised ESPN2 game and then discussing the game the next day is NOT promoting UB....its REPORTING it........

Promoting UB would be discussing the game every day for a full week prior....

As is often pointed out here by many posters already (who are sports fans)

These guys mock the following

NFL Draft

NBA Playoffs

NCAA Tournament

Breeders Cup --- oops they dont even know what that is..but they openly talk about watching NHL preseason games

Its a joke... ...its so blatant its hard to believe any defenders are not media types themselves defending their own

If you were so interested in UB you probably would've gone to the game. If you were there or watched it on ESPN2, you should be able to form your own opinions about the coaching strategy, who played well, and who made mistakes. Why would you, being the great UB Bulls fan that you are, need Howard Simon (who you already hate) to tell you what happened in a game the night before? Were you talking up the game all day Tuesday to all of your friends and co-workers, telling them that UB was on TV, and you're really excited to watch?

Did you listen to WGR this morning??? (Don't worry I know the answer is yes.)

Sully took Merryl Streep....and was ridiculed....She was deemed the Michael Olawakandi of the draft

Merryl Streep is a godawful pick. If Chevy Chase slipped past #2 then you know it's rigged.

(And Olawkandi?? I thought somebody said those guys never discuss NBA...Hmmmm...)

I think the point here is that if Buffalo has a sports talk radio station, is it too much to ask to have that station actually pay attention to the local teams. UB isn't Texas or Alabama but it is the only FBS football program in WNY. They won a championship and went to a bowl game in 2008. Doesn't that earn them some cred, especially in a town with a major woe-is-us-we-suck-at everything mentallity?

I would also argue that Canisius, Bona and Niagara basketball deserve a few crumbs of air time as well. God forbid WGR devote a few minutes to WNY's D1 basketball programs too, especially Niagara who went to the NCAA's a couple of times this decade.

PTR

I think the point here is that if Buffalo has a sports talk radio station, is it too much to ask to have that station actually pay attention to the local teams. UB isn't Texas or Alabama but it is the only FBS football program in WNY. They won a championship and went to a bowl game in 2008. Doesn't that earn them some cred, especially in a town with a major woe-is-us-we-suck-at everything mentallity?

I would also argue that Canisius, Bona and Niagara basketball deserve a few crumbs of air time as well. God forbid WGR devote a few minutes to WNY's D1 basketball programs too, especially Niagara who went to the NCAA's a couple of times this decade.

PTR

Amen - thank you !