Howard Simon this am

jahbonas

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the point here is that if Buffalo has a sports talk radio station, is it too much to ask to have that station actually pay attention to the local teams. UB isn't Texas or Alabama but it is the only FBS football program in WNY. They won a championship and went to a bowl game in 2008. Doesn't that earn them some cred, especially in a town with a major woe-is-us-we-suck-at everything mentallity?

I would also argue that Canisius, Bona and Niagara basketball deserve a few crumbs of air time as well. God forbid WGR devote a few minutes to WNY's D1 basketball programs too, especially Niagara who went to the NCAA's a couple of times this decade.

PTR

I have never disagreed with logic such as this, throughout this thread. However, I HAVE heard all of these items you mentioned discussed on the station. Hell, I've heard them talking Canisius women's basketball. I think the point is that most people tune in for a 20 minute commute. If they are partaking in one of their idiot discussions during that section of time, which takes up about 1/12th of their show, then they get blasted for talking nonsense when you wanted to hear something else. It's just the way it goes.

And just because it's local, doesn't mean it's interesting, or people want to discuss it. The interest just isn't there. It's reflected in the attendance at local NCAA events. But I agree, a weekly, (for example, 6:15pm every Tuesday) they should do their local sports update. Spend a whole segment on it, and keep it in the same time slot, so that people who do want to tune in are able to. Discuss results and upcoming games. But even then, they'll get railed because the time slot will be inconvenient, or they didn't even mention that recruit from Chicago who visited Niagara last weekend.

95% of radio and television sports hosts/analysts/announcers/etc suck (according to the masses.) Yet people continue to tune in.

I will agree they should have a functional knowledge of all sports, and they don't seem to on WGR. It's even more embarrassing when they are almost proud of declaring ignorance on certain sports. But it's a 3-4 hour show. It's not easy to do 5-days per week. And to say "They didn't even mention UB Football's loss" during the 15-20 mins that you're listening is really a stretch.

If people are looking for on-air talent to "break down" games for them, then they've got their own problems. Frankly, I couldn't care less what Whitey or Schopp or Colin Cowherd or Mark Schlereth thought about "Team X" last night. I saw it, and I know what I thought.

I have never disagreed with logic such as this, throughout this thread. However, I HAVE heard all of these items you mentioned discussed on the station. Hell, I've heard them talking Canisius women's basketball. I think the point is that most people tune in for a 20 minute commute. If they are partaking in one of their idiot discussions during that section of time, which takes up about 1/12th of their show, then they get blasted for talking nonsense when you wanted to hear something else. It's just the way it goes.

And just because it's local, doesn't mean it's interesting, or people want to discuss it. The interest just isn't there. It's reflected in the attendance at local NCAA events. But I agree, a weekly, (for example, 6:15pm every Tuesday) they should do their local sports update. Spend a whole segment on it, and keep it in the same time slot, so that people who do want to tune in are able to. Discuss results and upcoming games. But even then, they'll get railed because the time slot will be inconvenient, or they didn't even mention that recruit from Chicago who visited Niagara last weekend.

95% of radio and television sports hosts/analysts/announcers/etc suck (according to the masses.) Yet people continue to tune in.

I will agree they should have a functional knowledge of all sports, and they don't seem to on WGR. It's even more embarrassing when they are almost proud of declaring ignorance on certain sports. But it's a 3-4 hour show. It's not easy to do 5-days per week. And to say "They didn't even mention UB Football's loss" during the 15-20 mins that you're listening is really a stretch.

If people are looking for on-air talent to "break down" games for them, then they've got their own problems. Frankly, I couldn't care less what Whitey or Schopp or Colin Cowherd or Mark Schlereth thought about "Team X" last night. I saw it, and I know what I thought.

You hide behind a basic assumption you conveniently make which just isnt true.....the talk about jimmy the greek went from 6am - 730am....and as someone else pointed out this drafting of actors went on for multiple hours....

Incredible the same guys that can do 3 hours (not 15 mins) on an actor draft...can then openly mock people who follow the NFL draft or watch an ncaa playoff game....

play it back..i'm sure you work there and have easy access to the tape...

Also...nobody here is complaining at the first bad show...this crap has gone on and on and on....multiple times for multiple hours....2 hours one night on what would you choose to eat with if given the choice of 1 among a fork or knife or spoon....

and yet they think they are great because they get ratings because they are a monopoly

why continue to listen for a long time when the topic sucks? others can speak for themselves but one is often hoping/assuming that eventually the topic will move on to something sports related

why continue to listen for a long time when the topic sucks? others can speak for themselves but one is often hoping/assuming that eventually the topic will move on to something sports related

Something sports-related, which would also suck, I'm sure. Like SPORTSCASTER Jimmy the Greek from an ESPN show.

You come here and talk sports all day. Why do you bother to worry about the no-talent hacks that you are (obviously) tied down and forced to listen to for 20 minutes every day? You can start a topic here and get a response from 50 different people from all over the country on UB football. But instead you chose to start a topic about how WGR didn't discuss UB football. Don't you find this the least bit ironic? There is a thread on "Off the Wall" titled TV ALERT: UB vs Ohio, ESPN2 7pm 11/10. I noticed you didn't make one appearance in this thread, discussing this extremely interesting game.

Something sports-related, which would also suck, I'm sure. Like SPORTSCASTER Jimmy the Greek from an ESPN show.

You come here and talk sports all day. Why do you bother to worry about the no-talent hacks that you are (obviously) tied down and forced to listen to for 20 minutes every day? You can start a topic here and get a response from 50 different people from all over the country on UB football. But instead you chose to start a topic about how WGR didn't discuss UB football. Don't you find this the least bit ironic? There is a thread on "Off the Wall" titled TV ALERT: UB vs Ohio, ESPN2 7pm 11/10. I noticed you didn't make one appearance in this thread, discussing this extremely interesting game.

Be sure to go cast your vote on the best Actor

Ouch... I believe the proper internet term for this is PWNED!!!

With respect... no one cares about UB Football until they can put out a consistent winner, which they are far from accomplishing. One winning season doesn't mean anything around here. I love the idea of UB football being a good radio topic: but they aren't. Neither are the Bandits, Knighthawks, Syracuse Orange (unless playing for a national title in basketball or football only), Niagara University, Canisius College, etc. Why? Radio is like owning an ice cream shop. In this shop you have two flavors that sell out all the time (Bills and Sabres). So you stock your freezer with them. Occasionally, you bring out a new flavor and if if sells well you stock more of it. UB Football sold well last year... this year it's tanking. So take it off the shelf.

Not saying it's right or wrong, just saying you always give your customer what they want. Yes you throw in something new occasionally, but if it sucks you don't stay with it, because staying with it hurts business and pisses off your customers. Yes, doing NOTHING different also pisses off your customers, but this is the balancing game you play.

Buffalo truly does NOT care about any other sports teams right now other than the Bills and Sabres. They don't. End of story.

PS: Everyone on this board does not represent everyone who listens. They represent 5%, maybe 10% on a good day, and I'm being generous.

That's the real world answer to why Howard could give a crap about the UB game. The BS answer is he doesn't care about what Buffalo sports fans want. Yes he does, or he would never have a job here. He cares what most Buffalo sports fans want, which has nothing, unfortunately, to do with UB Football.

With respect... no one cares about UB Football until they can put out a consistent winner, which they are far from accomplishing. One winning season doesn't mean anything around here. I love the idea of UB football being a good radio topic: but they aren't. Neither are the Bandits, Knighthawks, Syracuse Orange (unless playing for a national title in basketball or football only), Niagara University, Canisius College, etc. Why? Radio is like owning an ice cream shop. In this shop you have two flavors that sell out all the time (Bills and Sabres). So you stock your freezer with them. Occasionally, you bring out a new flavor and if if sells well you stock more of it. UB Football sold well last year... this year it's tanking. So take it off the shelf.

Not saying it's right or wrong, just saying you always give your customer what they want. Yes you throw in something new occasionally, but if it sucks you don't stay with it, because staying with it hurts business and pisses off your customers. Yes, doing NOTHING different also pisses off your customers, but this is the balancing game you play.

Buffalo truly does NOT care about any other sports teams right now other than the Bills and Sabres. They don't. End of story.

PS: Everyone on this board does not represent everyone who listens. They represent 5%, maybe 10% on a good day, and I'm being generous.

That's the real world answer to why Howard could give a crap about the UB game. The BS answer is he doesn't care about what Buffalo sports fans want. Yes he does, or he would never have a job here. He cares what most Buffalo sports fans want, which has nothing, unfortunately, to do with UB Football.

Oh and BTW's: Jimmy the whatever... you're right probably right no one cares about that either, but perhaps he had something entertaining to say about that versus the UB Football game in which they lost... yet another downer in the Buffalo football scene which he probably wanted to avoid seeing the Bills are depressing enough and he HAS to talk about them.

play it back..i'm sure you work there and have easy access to the tape...

Actually, I'm positive he/she DOESN'T work there. (And before you make a similar accusation, neither do I.)

TWCS did 4 UB games this year. Simon and Rueben Brown did PBP and color. I do think there is an embargo on UB sports because they left 'GR for WECK. (A bad idea in hindsight.) FYI, UB is on ESPN2 next Wednesday and ESPNU the Friday after Thanksgiving. That's more national TV games than the Bills got. Of course expectations were high after their championship season in '08. Don't expect UB to be on ESPN much in 2010.

PTR

I don't know about that. I think (hope?) the ESPN College guys are a tad smarter than the MNF guys and may realize that this was a bit of an off year due to injuries and graduations. Not having James Starks has been a problem. And despite losing a couple of these games on ESPN2, they've been close and fun to watch. With Turner Gill at the helm you at least know you'll get an entertaining game which I would think these ESPN College guys would realize.

If I still lived in Buffalo I'd have season tickets to the Bulls (of course I'm a UB graduate so I'm partly biased, but still). You have to give it a few years for UB to make a name for itself. Prior to the Bulls making the switch Buffalo hadn't had D-1A (or whatever they call it these days) football in a long time so most college football fans in the area probably have other allegiances (Notre Dame has a huge following in WNY). If UB could build itself up to the point where it could make the move to a BCS division, I think things would end up being vastly different.

Why are you posting about the UB Bulls on a BUFFALO BILLS message board...its not right :blink: Maybe they should change the name of the site because people like you cannot understand its a BUFFALO BILLS message board :wallbash::devil: how dare you discuss something else