Ohio recount

/dev/null

I heard something that the guy who came up with one of the voting systems in Ohio was a major Bush payer?

Not that, that matters?

I also noticed that the incumbant wasn't first on my ballot... I assume all state laws are different?

The thing that amazes me is the map one of the networks had in the background, by county, showing what system people use to vote... I think NYS was the only one I noticed with a uniform voting system.

The only thing I have in common voting-wise with others in other states is the presidential election... Shouldn't it be a single race ballot? Uniform? If you can give 2 bucks or so on your tax-form... Why can't they standardize the prez ballot? Who really needs the other races on there... You can just vote on those state/local races another day.

Again... the only link I have with others in other states is the prez race... I am almost amazed that there is no standardization... The corruption in each system could be emmense.

Still keep the EC... We all use the same fed tax forms?

On another note... I live in Will County and a co-worker lives in Cook. Why was Kerry first on my optical scan ballot (first time for this NEW system) and Bush first on the ballot on my co-workers punch card ballot (still to be replaced)?

Seems the discrepincies would abound in the state.

With a uniform system, things could be still off but, it would be uniform (even if only in the state)... Easier to catch and correct. Uniformity leaves correction across the board... You can't "muddy the water."

Boyz and girls, we have one effed up system that is ripe for the exploiting.

Standarization is the key to any great society... You military folks no that...

On another note... I live in Will County and a co-worker lives in Cook.  Why was Kerry first on my optical scan ballot (first time for this NEW system) and Bush first on the ballot on my co-workers punch card ballot (still to be replaced)?

Seems the discrepincies would abound in the state.

With a uniform system, things could be still off but, it would be uniform (even if only in the state)... Easier to catch and correct.  Uniformity leaves correction across the board... You can't "muddy the water."

Boyz and girls, we have one effed up system that is ripe for the exploiting.

Standarization is the key to any great society... You military folks no that...

120819[/snapback]

Yeah, because the military ain't the least bit fugged up. :unsure:

I heard something that the guy who came up with one of the voting systems in Ohio was a major Bush payer?

Not that, that matters?

I also noticed that the incumbant wasn't first on my ballot... I assume all state laws are different?

The thing that amazes me is the map one of the networks had in the background, by county, showing what system people use to vote... I think NYS was the only one I noticed with a uniform voting system.

The only thing I have in common voting-wise with others in other states is the presidential election... Shouldn't it be a single race ballot?  Uniform?  If you can give 2 bucks or so on your tax-form... Why can't they standardize the prez ballot?  Who really needs the other races on there... You can just vote on those state/local races another day.

Again... the only link I have with others in other states is the prez race... I am almost amazed that there is no standardization...  The corruption in each system could be emmense.

Still keep the EC... We all use the same fed tax forms?

120805[/snapback]

But we don't all use the same state tax forms, and even within a given state not everyone uses the same city tax forms...

The bottom line is, voting procedures are dictated at the city and county and not state level. Period. If you want to change that, lobby your state to enact legislation that strips the counties of their right to monitor and count their votes and vests it in the state instead. You might want to give it some thought, though, before you start asking the state to take over rights normally vested at the county level...particularly if you're interested in local politics and government.

That is a cop-out.  Yet, we can fight wars, finace other things.

I think when I go to the Miami game in December... I am gonna come back and begrudge my wife purchasing a 40 dollar lamp... That is exactly how America works people!

120822[/snapback]

You can call it that if you want but it's reality. Elections don't happen that often and up until 4 years ago it wasn't a big problem.

Keep being surprised when big government lets you down. It's actually the rule.

But we don't all use the same state tax forms, and even within a given state not everyone uses the same city tax forms...

The bottom line is, voting procedures are dictated at the city and county and not state level.  Period.  If you want to change that, lobby your state to enact legislation that strips the counties of their right to monitor and count their votes and vests it in the state instead.  You might want to give it some thought, though, before you start asking the state to take over rights normally vested at the county level...particularly if you're interested in local politics and government.

120841[/snapback]

I am just talking the prez. election... Make it totally independent... Fedaralize it. Again, it is the only thing voting-wise, I have in common with you... It should be the same... Not an afterthought.

You can call it that if you want but it's reality.  Elections don't happen that often and up until 4 years ago it wasn't a big problem.

Keep being surprised when big government lets you down.  It's actually the rule.

120849[/snapback]

I think that is because of technology... Tech has quickly outpaced the system we used... That is why there are problems.

We are in a whole 'nother age... and it is catching up.

Things have to be modernized, standardized (prez. election). The mechanisms in place still work at the local/state level for the "in house" elections.

Elections should be not different than anything else. Things aren't working the way they used to presidentially, fix them... Make it easier to unify the states on this one important common ground.

I think that is because of technology... Tech has quickly outpaced the system we used... That is why there are problems.

We are in a whole 'nother age... and it is catching up.

Things have to be modernized, standardized (prez. election).  The mechanisms in place still work at the local/state level for the "in house" elections.

Elections should be not different than anything else.  Things aren't working the way they used to presidentially, fix them... Make it easier to unify the states on this one important common ground.

120859[/snapback]

We can't even modernize DoD effectively and you expect a fifty state rollout of voting equipment by federal mandate? Good luck with that pipedream.

Not that, that matters?

120805[/snapback]

No. I think you are confusing someone else with the Ohio Secretary of State, Ken Blackwell. Mr. Blackwell did not come up with any voting system, he worked to smoothly integrate Federal legislation passed after '02. His record is as clean at the proverbial whistle, and I expect he will run for OH Governor. The current Governor, Bob Taft, Rep. is term-limited and roundly despised - a spineless man in the eyes of many.

The largest political contributor in Ohio was Democratic party supporter Peter Lewis of Cleveland, at approximately 24 million. Stanley Chesley, a big litigation lawyer was also very high in contributions. His wife, Federal judge Susan Dlott (Clinton appointee) made several decisions to halt GOP election challenges - the timing was perfect from the Democratic Party perspective, I might add.

The largest GOP private contributor was Carl Lindner, at around 3 million. Democratic contributors in OH were something like 70 million vs. about 25 million for GOP donors.

Ohio State law has had regulations on the books for years regarding the issuance of provisional ballots and the validation and counting thereof.

I believe Ralph Nader may also jump in. He specifically made comments about Democratic Party "dirty tricks" on election night when CNN's Wolf Blitzer interviewed him via video link. Here in Ohio, the Secretary of State, Ken Blackwell, disqualified Nader from the Ohio ballot because out-of-state people allegedly collected signatures. There have been some quiet questions floating about as to who hired those out of state signature gatherers.

I believe Ralph Nader may also jump in. He specifically made comments about Democratic Party "dirty tricks" on election night when CNN's Wolf Blitzer interviewed him via video link. Here in Ohio, the Secretary of State, Ken Blackwell, disqualified Nader from the Ohio ballot because out-of-state people allegedly collected signatures. There have been some quiet questions floating about as to who hired those out of state signature gatherers.

120978[/snapback]

Good... Very good.

Thank you for your input.

I am just talking the prez. election... Make it totally independent... Fedaralize it.  Again, it is the only thing voting-wise, I have in common with you... It should be the same... Not an afterthought.

120852[/snapback]

That would be even worse. Now you're postulating a standardized nationwide electoral system parallel to the existing state/county level system. I cannot imagine a situation where maintaining two different, parallel systems is going to solve more problems than it creates.