Someone needs to show this to Maybin

Thoner7

I will state again this front office made a mistake in drafting Maybin.

Listen out biggest need was to draft a replacement for Peters.

They had a chance to get Oher, but they choose instead to get a player that wont help us this year, they did the same thing when they drafted McGahee when they had Henry.

They Could have had Walker, Butler, Wood, Levitre and Oher as the starting O-line. From right to left.

I swear the moves they made this year was terrible. The drafting dept. needs an overhaul.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be fair to Maybin he is playing a different position then Orakapo. As Brian is playing OLB whereas Aaron's playing DE. That said count me in the camp that was hesitant to take Maybin. As question if he could play at a bigger size in the NFL and not lose his famous first step. Not to mention PSU recent history with defensive players hasn't been great. That all said most reports had Orakapo as a better prospect and should have realistically been drafted before Maybin but again with them playing 2 different positions it's not entirely fair to compare them.

Once again I say.....too early to tell......

.....playing at different positions

.....one of them is on the field at all times

.....one of them is a underclassman

....one of them is undersized for his position at present

John - he is getting one credited tackle per game. One. I realize he isn't playing a lot, but there's an expectation that a 1st round DE pick gets playing time.

It's not as if the Bills' DE starters are setting the league on fire...and from what I've read from posters here who see him when he's on the field, he's easily tossed aside.

I'm beginning to think that they know they might have made a mistake. That happens - I've lived in Cincy since 1990.

I'd like to see them play him more, have him face the real competition for an extended period. See if he has promise.

How can that hurt?

Every year it is a crap shoot in the draft. The Bills managed to land 3 immediate starters in Wood, Levitre and Byrd -- one of which should be in serious contention for ROY. They also added what appears to be pretty good depth in Nelson and Lankster. So what if Maybin isn't producing just yet? I think I am OK having a first round prospect with a potentially high ceiling take the time he needs to develop, especially considering the early success we have with the other guys. The bigger story (for those whose glass isn't half empty) isn't the failure thus far of Maybin -- but, rather, the surprising success of Kelsay, who has managed to keep Maybin on the bench. Also, remember that Orakpo was NEVER going to be a possibility, since (rightly or wrongly) the Bills have a vendetta against drafting University of Texas players.

It is obvious that no one watches the games when half of the remarks are "they play different positions"

Orakpo plays about 30-40% of his snaps at DE. The # of snaps he has taken at DE has grown each week since week 1. These are not just 3rd down snaps, but 1st, second, and third down snaps. If you look into the redskins fans opinions- they are pissed he is wasting any of his snaps at OLB, because he is so good at DE. The only reason he does not see more snaps there is because Andre Carter is having such a good year, and they have no one to fill in at OLB. So while he is a better DE, its best for the Skins to use him at OLB because they have a good DE and no good OLB to play in Orakpos place.

And some of the "wait and see" remarks. Why wait 3 years for Maybin to turn into Orakpo when you pass on Orakpo in the first place? And the 11th overall pick is NEVER such a player. NEVER (QB is the one exception). That is what the late rounds are for. As for me not wanting this to be an Orakpo vrs Maybin thread, I didnt turn it into that, another posted asked for my opinion.

The first round draft pick should be a no brainer starter. Maybin is a project on a team that needs starters. The FO should have taken Orakpo who is a beast or Oher where we have big need. Either position is a big need for us. It's stupid moves like this that keep us in the basement.

Maybin has to show a lot the rest of this season and next or he will become one of the worst picks in buffalo history.

Angers me to see Orakpo getting sacks. Maybe they should let the kid learn on the job since the team is obviously not going to make the playoffs. We already know what Kelsay and Denney can do, if Maybin gets crushed out there time and again maybe he will use it as fuel to get better in the off season

It is obvious that no one watches the games when half of the remarks are "they play different positions"

Orakpo plays about 30-40% of his snaps at DE. The # of snaps he has taken at DE has grown each week since week 1. These are not just 3rd down snaps, but 1st, second, and third down snaps. If you look into the redskins fans opinions- they are pissed he is wasting any of his snaps at OLB, because he is so good at DE. The only reason he does not see more snaps there is because Andre Carter is having such a good year, and they have no one to fill in at OLB. So while he is a better DE, its best for the Skins to use him at OLB because they have a good DE and no good OLB to play in Orakpos place.

And some of the "wait and see" remarks. Why wait 3 years for Maybin to turn into Orakpo when you pass on Orakpo in the first place? And the 11th overall pick is NEVER such a player. NEVER (QB is the one exception). That is what the late rounds are for. As for me not wanting this to be an Orakpo vrs Maybin thread, I didnt turn it into that, another posted asked for my opinion.

There you go being disingenuous again. You stated in post #10 that you KNEW the thread would turn into a Orakpo>Maybin thread, & that is exactly the reason you started it. Which post between #1 & #9 asks your opinion about Orakpo vs Maybin?

John - he is getting one credited tackle per game. One. I realize he isn't playing a lot, but there's an expectation that a 1st round DE pick gets playing time.

It's not as if the Bills' DE starters are setting the league on fire...and from what I've read from posters here who see him when he's on the field, he's easily tossed aside.

I'm beginning to think that they know they might have made a mistake. That happens - I've lived in Cincy since 1990.

I'd like to see them play him more, have him face the real competition for an extended period. See if he has promise.

How can that hurt?

That is exactly my arguement over this whole thing......I am not going to say Maybin will be a stud when he hasn't shown us anything yet.....but I also say you cannot call him a BUST when you dont have anything to evaluate it on......

I mean...Aaron Schrobel goes out in the last game and they replace him with......RYAN DENNY?

Ryan Denny is a veteran player who doesnt make a ton of mistakes and that is why they played him....it says more about the coaching staff that you dont find out what you have in a lost year what you have in the rook...this coaching staff has made that same mistake at different positions time and time again......then when the young guy gets on teh field he makes plays.

I am not going to evaluate Maybin one way or the other and I ESPECIALLY am not going to evaluate him against Orkapo when they dont play the same amount of snaps......

BECAUSE....players develop at different rates....you could very easily see Orkapo fall into a sophmore slump next year no matter where they play him on that defense and you could also very easily see Maybin get a year older....through a training camp and NFL conditioning program......and take off next year.

By the end of 3 years Maybin's numbers could surpass Orakpos......he was NOT DRAFTED TO BE PRODUCTIVE THIS YEAR. Now for those who say you dont do that with a high pick like that and you need 1st rounders to produce immediately.....hey...legit gripe. But keep in mind we had two first round picks and we have that pick, Levitre, Byrd all starting with Nelson and Harris getting significant playing time.

That is exactly my argument over this whole thing......I am not going to say Maybin will be a stud when he hasn't shown us anything yet.....but I also say you cannot call him a BUST when you dont have anything to evaluate it on......

Yep. IMO, they really should get him on the field for more plays. He's not a rookie OL where they have to worry about a QB getting killed.

He was a questionable pick in most folk's minds, IMO. It's doubtful that BUF is making it into the playoffs. So they should do that - get him the playing time and see if he was worth it this year. If not, try him again next season.