Shooting unarmed, injured enemy combatants ...

No but there were rules of engagement and use of deadly force....yes the threat has changed, combat is different, but you don't think we wanted to just unload our clips on the Iraqi on board these floating buckets of stevestojan

120945[/snapback]

Boarding an Iraqi container ship and opening containers can be very nerve racking.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well its real stevestojan duty to pull

120960[/snapback]

If it's anything like clearing a building with lots of rooms and long narrow hallways, I can empathize.

The difference between that and what the Marines are dealing with is they KNOW the guys in the Mosque are the enemy. Not think they might be. Not assume. KNOW. Huge difference.

No but there were rules of engagement and use of deadly force....yes the threat has changed, combat is different, but you don't think we wanted to just unload our clips on the Iraqi on board these floating buckets of stevestojan

120945[/snapback]

But isn't that the point of this case?

The rules of engagement are different, the combat situation is different, the level of threat and tension are different.

If I were to guess, I'd say your situation is closer to NYC Bill's when he had to enter into a dark basement. You knew it was dangerous, but not quite at the level of intense urban combat that's in Fallujah.

Just like the ongoing patrols elseqhere in Iraq now, Marines aren't walking around popping caps into everyone who's lying on the ground.

Hey, btw, since you have such a deep feeling for terrorists, I hear they’re taking all applications from short fat government employees from Albany. I think it pays 25K for every marine killed. Sounds like its right up your alley.

120871[/snapback]

He should try starting with me. :doh:

I find it interesting... You are absolutely right.  Are you saying we can't win if we don't change our rules?

If we can't, then we have to accept the new harsher rules.

Yet, for me to accept it, it has to be laid out there openly.

120862[/snapback]

I wasn't making any point, really...just making an observation that I believe is very informative.

The questions the observation raises, and the answers to such, I make no claim to have. I would, however, encourage anyone to look at the historical precedents I mentioned, keeping in mind that those precedents involved organized nation-states and not religions, as a starting point for any answers.

Hey I did boardings parties on unknown ships in the Gulf during GW I.....we were scared shitless and crew members would come out of little nooks...but we never shoot dead anybody.  That was not a Lethal Weapon movie in Iraq, where the villan appears dead and then shoots Mel Gibson.  It was an act of cruelity..especially after the Marine's comment "now he is dead"...I was sick watching the video....this is worst than another black eye on our mission in Iraq

120869[/snapback]

I don't know how you come up with some of your stuff, but you cannot compare a boarding party on a suspect vessel out in the gulf to what these Marines and Soldiers are up against in Fallujah. No way in hell can you do that.

I'm not saying that it couldn't get sketch at times, but your job wasn't to take over the vessel by force, your job was to inspect the vessel after the vessel's captain had already agreed to get boarded.

Please keep from over-inflating your experiences in future posts.

I don't know how you come up with some of your stuff, but you cannot compare a boarding party on a suspect vessel out in the gulf to what these Marines and Soldiers are up against in Fallujah.  No way in hell can you do that.

I'm not saying that it couldn't get sketch at times, but your job wasn't to take over the vessel by force, your job was to inspect the vessel after the vessel's captain had already agreed to get boarded.

Please keep from over-inflating your experiences in future posts.

120984[/snapback]

The moment I stepped on those ship my life was endangered...guess we forget that we were at war in the 1st Gulf War...my job was as important as what Marines are doing in Iraq now...but I'm sure this board will explain to me why I was not in danger.

The moment I stepped on those ship my life was endangered...guess we forget that we were at war in the 1st Gulf War...my job was as important as what Marines are doing in Iraq now...but I'm sure this board will explain to me why I was not in danger.

120990[/snapback]

No one said that you weren't in danger. Just please get off of your ego trip and keep your experiences in perspective compared to what these kids are going through right now.

Nobody on my crew ever got shoot....we did detain numerous armed individuals....but we were under strict orders on what we could do and not do...the use of deadly force was pounded into our brains in training

120883[/snapback]

That sounds to me like a significantly different situation than the one we're discussing. No disrespect intended, as I recognize that boarding is a dangerous and stressful pasttime...but it is a different environment than actual urban combat, and the actions taken in each situation stem from different contexts.

Not that I'm trying to justify the shooting of unarmed prisoners...I'm not. I'm just pointing out that, in the context of the combat that soldier found himself in, it may have been a perfectly natural and understandable act, even if it wasn't in the context of your experience in boarding.

I guess I am...but there are so many people on here that know so much about war and combat...never even took a step in a military boot....they are so lame

121000[/snapback]

Like who? I believe it was one of them that started this thread to begin with.