Could Edwards be the Franchise guy with new coaching?

PJBrown

As much negativity as Edwards gets, a lot deserved, even the biggest distractors have to admit that there have been flashes of something greater at times. So just how much is coaching?

I live in Nashville TN and have for 15 years (originally from Hamburg). Having married a southerner, I have developed an appreciation for SEC football and love the Vols! So here's the example: Jonathan Crompton

Crompton was the heir to Eric Ainge...was highly touted coming out of high school, etc. ..gets the reigns last year with a new OC (ever hear of that?) and played QB like a monkey trying to F&@k a football...stared down receivers, held the ball too long, poor throws, etc....this year Lane Kiffin takes over and everyone here is wondering what he did to get Crompton playing so well...confident, standing tall, etc...so,

How much is coaching?

What would a Mike Holmgen do for Edwards?????? makes you wonder

This is one of the reasons I like Holmgren here. He was a QB coach under Bill Walsh, who loves TE so there may lay some similarities between Holmgren and Walsh which could help TE (That is assuming he's still here next year). Just a reminder, Holmgren coached Montana, Young, Favre, and Hasselbeck. You know that as soon as he started here QB would be priority number 1.

This is one of the reasons I like Holmgren here. He was a QB coach under Bill Walsh, who loves TE so there may lay some similarities between Holmgren and Walsh which could help TE (That is assuming he's still here next year). Just a reminder, Holmgren coached Montana, Young, Favre, and Hasselbeck. You know that as soon as he started here QB would be priority number 1.

So ol Bill loved Trent and Holgren coached with ol Bill so Holgren would love Trent?

No. He's played exactly one good game since Chargers game last year. He threw for just one TD in that game anyway. He has ZERO 300 yard games for his career. Not much there IMO. Career backup.

Guest dog14787

Proper Coaching is critical to developing a QB in my opinion.

I haven't given up on Trent Edwards, But he's a pocket QB and until we have sufficient pass protection Edwards is doomed.

So ol Bill loved Trent and Holgren coached with ol Bill so Holgren would love Trent?

I don't know, they may look for the same things in a QB, I mean I know that right now he isn't showing much but Holmgren may prefer a QB of that style to develop. Wait what's wrong with me, I just realized I am one of those "TE needs more development guys." Ugh, going to cry in a closet now.

Walsh did not "love" Trent.

He called Marv Levy after Buffalo drafted Edwards and said "you got yourself a good player", that's it. Nothing more to it.

Coincidentally, the last place Walsh coached during his illustrious career was Stanford, where Edwards played. He never coached Trent, and wasn't involved in recruiting him. He was, however, still partially involved with the 49ers organization, and yet they didn't draft him.

So he couldn't have "loved" him that much.

Kyle Orton in Denver.

IF Edwards could play like he did vrs Miami/Oak/SD in years past every other week we would be fine at QB. Maybe Gruden can get that out of him...

- Kyle Orton lead the Bears to a 10-5 record as a rookie starter (including 8 consecutive wins), with nothing around him that resembles an offense.

- Starting the final 3 games of 2007, he lead the team to 2 of their 7 wins that season

- He started 15 games in 2008, during which Chicago went 9-6 and threw for almost 3,000 yards with 18 TDs and 12 INTs; this included victories against Peyton Manning and the Colts, Drew Brees and the Saints, and Aaron Rodgers and the Packers

I'm not saying he was great, but there were at least signs of capability. IMO, Edwards hasn't performed close to that level.

He called Marv Levy after Buffalo drafted Edwards and said "you got yourself a good player", that's it. Nothing more to it.

Coincidentally, the last place Walsh coached during his illustrious career was Stanford, where Edwards played. He never coached Trent, and wasn't involved in recruiting him. He was, however, still partially involved with the 49ers organization, and yet they didn't draft him.

killjoy :sick:

I don't know, they may look for the same things in a QB, I mean I know that right now he isn't showing much but Holmgren may prefer a QB of that style to develop. Wait what's wrong with me, I just realized I am one of those "TE needs more development guys." Ugh, going to cry in a closet now.

Wasn't one of Walsh's beliefs is that you know if a QB is good after 30 starts?, well Trents at 30 and,,,

Bill Walsh stopped serving as a special consultant to the 49ers in 2004. Trent was drafted in 2007.

In 2004 Walsh became a special assistant to the athletic director at Stanford where he served (including a term as interim AD) until his death in July 2007. He and Trent overlapped at Stanford for several years and spent a good amount of time together. As I understand it, Walsh thought extremely highly of Trent. To imply otherwise is not accurate.

As much negativity as Edwards gets, a lot deserved, even the biggest distractors have to admit that there have been flashes of something greater at times. So just how much is coaching?

I live in Nashville TN and have for 15 years (originally from Hamburg). Having married a southerner, I have developed an appreciation for SEC football and love the Vols! So here's the example: Jonathan Crompton

Crompton was the heir to Eric Ainge...was highly touted coming out of high school, etc. ..gets the reigns last year with a new OC (ever hear of that?) and played QB like a monkey trying to F&@k a football...stared down receivers, held the ball too long, poor throws, etc....this year Lane Kiffin takes over and everyone here is wondering what he did to get Crompton playing so well...confident, standing tall, etc...so,

How much is coaching?

Edwards. A segue to the SEC. Then Holmgren.

:sick:

How much is coaching?

I have said it before and I will say it again. Trent is not the right fit for Buffalo. Trent does not have the arm strenght to handle the swirling winds in Buffalo. We need a QB who in college has played consitently in cold weather and has the arm strength, Accuracy and intelligence. Not Just the Intelligence.

Trent is a Qb that would be a good fit for a warm/fair weather team or Dome. We dont need a QB thats only good through the end of October. Plus we dont need a QB whos injury prone and basically a sack or two from never playing again,

I dont think we have any idea if Trent is the man or not. To be fair, he has had some good and lots of bad. but he is playing for a Pop Warner Offense and a Coach like Jauron who has no idea how to develop a QB. Would he succeed with another coach or another system. Simply put, maybe. I think he has the tools, or he did until Wilson's hit on him in Glendale.

I just dont think we know for sure if his suckitude is due to him or Jauron's offense and his lack of protection...We have all seen the other teams jumping routes and filling holes like they new the play better than our offense...

Yeah, Trent has shown flashes of something greater, but so did Rob Johnson - as I recall he looked great in a game for the Jags before we traded a first round pick for him. I also remember Billy Volek looking good - where is he?

It's funny to see that we are saying the exact same things about Trent than we did with JP - "he's shown flashes", "he could be very good with better coaching", "if he only had an offensive line around him". Newsflash - Trent has decent receivers and his problem hasn't always been poor OL play - even when he's had time to throw he's looked pretty bad.

I think it's far more likely that our wonderful talent evaluators missed on another QB that only we seemed to love than it is that we somehow have a great quarterback who just needs better opportunities/circumstances to show his greatness - what do you think?