Please come to your senses

Coach Tuesday

I'm sorry, but some of you are just being ridiculous. There is no one, NO ONE, the coaches, GM and owner included, who still think Drew Bledsoe "has it." I guarantee you, people, THEY KNOW. Donahoe knows. Mularkey knows. Those two knew last year, because they (1) drafted his replacement in the first round, and (2) demanded he take a pay cut. Now, it's not their fault that a fluke injury set back JP's timetable, but those are the cards we've been dealt - it happens. Had Troy Vincent's sole contribution to our season not been to f' up our prize rookie (fitting, btw, given our D's over-agressiveness, lack of discipline and control - simply, their stupidity), I'm all but certain JP would have started the second half of the Ravens game and every other game since.

HOWEVER, at this point, there is nothing worse that MM could do than panic and put JP into a situation in which he's not ready, and which the odds of him failing are significant. If you look back at the history of rookie QBs, the number one source of their long-term failure has been situations where they were put in before they were ready. It's killer - it can wreck their confidence and derail their entire career. Who knows at what point Bledsoe "jumped the shark" and developed happy feet - it may have happened in New England, it may have been last year's game in Miami - but God forbid that happen to Losman at this stage in his career. Look, the season is over. Losman will start the last 3-4 games, guaranteed, and it likely won't be pretty to watch. There is NO POINT, after one week of practice and 4 plays, for this coaching staff to annoint him the Savior of the Season, which would almost guarantee his failure. No point. You people need to understand that - I want to win now as much as any of you, but the long-term health of this franchise suggests some patience.

I'm sorry, but some of you are just being ridiculous.  There is no one, NO ONE, the coaches, GM and owner included, who still think Drew Bledsoe "has it."  I guarantee you, people, THEY KNOW.  Donahoe knows.  Mularkey knows.  Those two knew last year, because they (1) drafted his replacement in the first round, and (2) demanded he take a pay cut.  Now, it's not their fault that a fluke injury set back JP's timetable, but those are the cards we've been dealt - it happens.  Had Troy Vincent's sole contribution to our season not been to f' up our prize rookie (fitting, btw, given our D's over-agressiveness, lack of discipline and control - simply, their stupidity), I'm all but certain JP would have started the second half of the Ravens game and every other game since. 

HOWEVER, at this point, there is nothing worse that MM could do than panic and put JP into a situation in which he's not ready, and which the odds of him failing are significant.  If you look back at the history of rookie QBs, the number one source of their long-term failure has been situations where they were put in before they were ready.  It's killer - it can wreck their confidence and derail their entire career.  Who knows at what point Bledsoe "jumped the shark" and developed happy feet - it may have happened in New England, it may have been last year's game in Miami - but God forbid that happen to Losman at this stage in his career.  Look, the season is over.  Losman will start the last 3-4 games, guaranteed, and it likely won't be pretty to watch.  There is NO POINT, after one week of practice and 4 plays, for this coaching staff to annoint him the Savior of the Season, which would almost guarantee his failure.  No point.  You people need to understand that - I want to win now as much as any of you, but the long-term health of this franchise suggests some patience.

119605[/snapback]

You were considered for Sec. of State but Condi had better legs.

I'm sorry, but some of you are just being ridiculous.  There is no one, NO ONE, the coaches, GM and owner included, who still think Drew Bledsoe "has it."  I guarantee you, people, THEY KNOW.  Donahoe knows.  Mularkey knows.  Those two knew last year, because they (1) drafted his replacement in the first round, and (2) demanded he take a pay cut.  Now, it's not their fault that a fluke injury set back JP's timetable, but those are the cards we've been dealt - it happens.  Had Troy Vincent's sole contribution to our season not been to f' up our prize rookie (fitting, btw, given our D's over-agressiveness, lack of discipline and control - simply, their stupidity), I'm all but certain JP would have started the second half of the Ravens game and every other game since. 

HOWEVER, at this point, there is nothing worse that MM could do than panic and put JP into a situation in which he's not ready, and which the odds of him failing are significant.  If you look back at the history of rookie QBs, the number one source of their long-term failure has been situations where they were put in before they were ready.  It's killer - it can wreck their confidence and derail their entire career.  Who knows at what point Bledsoe "jumped the shark" and developed happy feet - it may have happened in New England, it may have been last year's game in Miami - but God forbid that happen to Losman at this stage in his career.  Look, the season is over.  Losman will start the last 3-4 games, guaranteed, and it likely won't be pretty to watch.  There is NO POINT, after one week of practice and 4 plays, for this coaching staff to annoint him the Savior of the Season, which would almost guarantee his failure.  No point.  You people need to understand that - I want to win now as much as any of you, but the long-term health of this franchise suggests some patience.

119605[/snapback]

That does not preclude starting Shane MAtthews until Losman is ready. Bledsoe is done.

119605[/snapback]

There is NO Savior of THIS Season. There IS an opportunity to get JP some well needed starting snaps.

There is NO Savior of THIS Season. There IS an opportunity to get JP some well needed starting snaps.

119617[/snapback]

And he'll get them - when he's ready, which may be December. There is no doubt about that.

And the reason that MM and TD keep publicly supporting Bledsoe is related to the point above - JP isn't ready, and Shane Matthews (1) would rather be golfing, and (2) won't sell any tickets. The only way the organization can keep the rest of its players motivated to try to win games before JP gets in there is to exude confidence about Bledsoe - sorry, that's the reality. They have to say what they're saying so that the rest of the players don't dog it.

And he'll get them - when he's ready, which may be December.  There is no doubt about that.

And the reason that MM and TD keep publicly supporting Bledsoe is related to the point above - JP isn't ready, and Shane Matthews (1) would rather be golfing, and (2) won't sell any tickets.  The only way the organization can keep the rest of its players motivated to try to win games before JP gets in there is to exude confidence about Bledsoe - sorry, that's the reality.  They have to say what they're saying so that the rest of the players don't dog it.

119628[/snapback]

Did you not see our Defense Sunday night? Too late....they are dogging it.

If the coaches and TD came out and said what you purportedly want them to say, "We realize we probably won't win with Drew, but Shane Matthews is just Drew without the deep ball, and the Kid isn't ready yet," it would be a public relations TRAIN WRECK. Don't hit the panic button - relax. THEY KNOW.

If the coaches and TD came out and said what you purportedly want them to say, "We realize we probably won't win with Drew, but Shane Matthews is just Drew without the deep ball, and the Kid isn't ready yet," it would be a public relations TRAIN WRECK.  Don't hit the panic button - relax.  THEY KNOW.

119644[/snapback]

Then how hard would it be for them to SAY SO?

Damn Troy Vincent. Had to be a hot dog in practice.

hey Troy.... :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

HOWEVER, at this point, there is nothing worse that MM could do than panic and put JP into a situation in which he's not ready, and which the odds of him failing are significant. 

119605[/snapback]

Are the odds of JP failing as significant as you say? Putting Sunday night's debacle aside, JP still has a very good D unit backing him up, a very good ST unit backing him up, 1-2 very good RB's who could carry the bulk of the offensive load, and an OL that can give him at least 3.5 seconds of time to scan the field before scrambling out of the pocket.

I'd say the circumstances for JP starting now are good...at least as good as they are for the Giants or Redskins. As long as JP is healthy (and I understand that this may still be a big question mark), there's no reason for Mularkey not to start him now.

We, as football fans, need to stop treating JP like a 5 year-old son. He's a grown man now. He can handle the physical hits. He can handle the mental pressure. Big Ben can. Eli Manning can. Craig Krenzel can.

You learn best with hands-on experience. So play the motherfugger already! A QB can't play any worse than Drew has right now! Let the JP era begin!

119605[/snapback]

Good post. Make no mistake, I want to see JP get in there, but not until he is ready. The long term heath of the franchise is at stake as you say. So is the long and short term health of JP, and I could do without watching him get killed right now, thank you very much.

Guest Guest_eyedog_*

If JP isn't ready to play as some suggest then why the F was he put in Sunday, in th worst possible situation ? I'm really starting to worry about Mularkey and his crew of coaches.

For the record I also want JP playing as soon as he is physically and mentally ready. Whenever that may be, but I sure as hell know it wasn't Sunday in Foxboro with 4 minutes to play in a blowout.

You were considered for Sec. of State but Condi had better legs.

119609[/snapback]

But there are plenty of other positions that are now available on Bush's staff now that the idiot has been re-elected. Word has it even the bathroom attendent wants out of the Whitehouse. Now that's loyalty and confidence right? :rolleyes:

Sadly, Bledsoe does give us our best chance to win. JP is going to come in and really suck. That is going to be his natural progression here. I like him though because he will go back and keep working hard and getting better. But right now DB is awful but less awful than the rest of our QBs.

Guest Guest_Coach_Tuesday

If you want something to be angry about, you should be pissed about the fact that Donahoe did not feel it necessary to address the QB issue LAST YEAR, when Van Pelt was the backup rather than a young (or capable) QB. That, combined with (1) his failure to address proplery the o-line, and (2) the Gregg Williams' hire, have now cost us 4 years. I'd hate to rush JP and cost us a 5th.

If JP isn't ready to play as some suggest then why the F was he put in Sunday, in th worst possible situation ?

119700[/snapback]

After 2 days of posts on this, I have yet to hear a good reason why this was the worst possible situation to put him in. It was garbage time, against scrubs. It was no different than the preseason time that he missed out on, IMO.

He wasn't ready to play? He had a uniform on.

All that told me is that this kid is going to play and soon, he is going to be the guy the team lays it's cards on and he had better be ready for it at anytime. I had no problem with the message that putting him there at that time sent.

I wouldn't start him this week, either. He will be in there soon enough.

After 2 days of posts on this, I have yet to hear a good reason why this was the worst possible situation to put him in.  It was garbage time, against scrubs.  It was no different than the preseason time that he missed out on, IMO. 

He wasn't ready to play? He had a uniform on. 

All that told me is that this kid is going to play and soon, he is going to be the guy the team lays it's cards on and he had better be ready for it at anytime.  I had no problem with the message that putting him there at that time sent.

I wouldn't start him this week, either.  He will be in there soon enough.

119879[/snapback]

Why not start him this week? The game is at home. The Rams have the #29 defense in the NFL. What is one more week of waiting going to do? Why would you wait until the Seattle game on the road? This week presents a perfect opportunity for him. At home against a crappy D, team needs a spark, fans need a spark. Why wait?

Guest Guest_eyedog_*

I'll tell you why then bobblehead.

Because the Pats know the Bills are passing and have their ears pinned back coming to kill our future qb, who is coming off an injury.

You would like to get your future qb a positive first experience, and not mess with his confidence.

If they felt he was ready to play then they should have started him instead of mopping up for Bledsoes mess.