Jake Locker?

Astrobot

I'd much rather have Locker than any LB in the first round. I'm not sold on Locker by any means, but you have to consider positional value. The 49ers hit a Grand Slam with Patrick Willis. Hey, that's great, enjoy your 6-10 seasons. That's not a knock on Willis, he's amazing and I'd definitely rather have him than Poz. It's just that no linebacker can make that big a difference in the win column. QB is a different story on that front. There's no sure things at QB in the first round, but if you hit (e.g., Flacco), you win big and keep on winning. Even if you hit on a Hall of Fame linebacker, you just don't get the payoff of hitting on a money QB.

Also, Arthur Jones is a DT. He could probably play DE in a 3-4 (as DraftTek has him listed), but he's played DT in a 4-3 in college. I like him, but not before the late first round, preferably second round. I know you weren't advocating us drafting him as a DE; I just wanted to point that out.

I agree, I realize this organization is probably a little gunshy with the qb position but still if Pike or Locker is on the board when we chose they better dam well pull the trigger. I like those two guys the best.

I am perplexed at DraftTek's computer pick for the Bills in RD#1: QB Jake Locker.

http://www.drafttek.com/round12010.asp

As per your recommendations, I put in our positional needs.

The comnputer spat out Locker.

Brandon Spikes was still on the board. He'd make a kickazz ILB, either moving Poz to the outside or go with a 3-4.

Arthur Jones from Syracuse (the DE) DT Terrence Cody, and WR Dez Bryant were the next 3 picks. How bad would Cody be next to Stroud?

I intend to put a comment up about Locker, but would you have rather had Spikes or Cody or someone else?

I can change our positional needs accordingly.

Astro, Bills Correspondent

DraftTek

I do think Locker has potential. He's got a tremendous arm, and I love his "here, see if you can stop me" attitude. While he may not look NFL ready, I wouldn't be troubled with Buffalo selecting him, as I'd prefer a more talented guy to a guy that can play right away. I also like Tony Pike from Cincinnati, but he doesn't have the great arm and has an injury history.

All that said, if Buffalo doesn't end up picking in the top 10 (and history shows they likely won't), I'd prefer to wait on a QB and grab either Pike or perhaps Dan Lefevour (MAC baby!) in round 2. I'm totally in favor of taking the best player available regardless of position (unless it's a S or CB--not that I'm against taking more DBs like many others are, I just happen to feel we're pretty strong there).

As for round 1, just looking at it from a pure talent perspective, here are some guys that I like (at need positions) and have done some preliminary work-ups on:

Anthony Davis - OT/Rutgers (really well-rounded tackle with great footwork)

Terrence Cody - DT/Alabama (massive DT that may be a perfect 3-4 NT, but can play anywhere on the interior)

Sean Witherspoon - LB/Missouri (great tackler, excellent in pursuit, relentless)

Jerry Hughes - DE/Texas Christian (quick off the snap, has enough power to rush from DT position, drives through to QB)

And here's one of my favorites:

Von Miller - LB/Texas A&M (boy can this guy blitz - leads nation in sacks as a 4-3 OLB with 12, including 2 vs. the self-proclaimed "unsackable" split offensive front of Texas Tech)

Locker is the guy the Bills should pick, even if they have to trade up for him. This team needs a QB and Locker would be the best fit in Buffalo out of anybody in the country. He would probably benefit from another year playing in college, but with the NFL labor situation and what happened to Bradford, I can't imagine he goes back to school. I just hope they have a real shot to get him.

I like Locker, its always a crap shoot but he is the best bet. He has a strong arm, improving accuracy and touch and more than anything, the right attitude. Fearless, with a short memory. Big and can run. I could live with Clausen too but overall, I'd give Locker the edge over him. I think Tebow, Bradford and the Texas guys are all likely busts. Weak-armed guys who look better than they are because they play for powerhouse programs. I swear, if we draft one of those three guys, one of us needs to protest Viet Nam monk-style, set themselves on fire infront of the team office. I volunteer the Senator... :lol:

Cold weather guy with a big arm and some toughness, has been shooting up boards. Much better fit for us than Bradford. I worry about his low completion percentage but his supporting cast isn't good at all.

I like the guy, but when I saw that I liked him a lot less. Research has shown that completion % is the most important stat in projecting college to pro success (along with # of starts).

I would prefer we don't setup another QB to fail. Lets finish off the O-Line before throwing away another pick on a QB.

You have to draft a QB early enough to acquaint himself with the system before throwing him in there.

Now is the time to do that.

Good OT's will be available in RD#2 and 3, and in FA.

For those that love Locker, how much have you seen him play? The guy just isn't accurate. He might still improve on that, but right now he is nowhere near NFL-accurate.

Tough guy though, superb athlete and great leader.

But wait until next year for JC... :doh:

Tough and Great Leader makes me think of Jim Kelly. Maybe it's not such a bad first pick. Now if I can just lock out Navarro Bowman in the 2nd and get a freakin' lineman... :worthy:

For those that love Locker, how much have you seen him play? The guy just isn't accurate. He might still improve on that, but right now he is nowhere near NFL-accurate.

Tough guy though, superb athlete and great leader.

But wait until next year for JC... :worthy:

Yeah...this is what we need:

http://www.collegegameballs.com/wp-content.../09/clausen.jpg

:doh: