interesting NYT article re: the MLB position

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/28/sports/f...&ref=sports

I will say that after reading this, I'm of two minds: it might not have been the best idea for the Bills to trade up to get him (the jury's still out on that), and that when he's in there, the Bills are a better, sounder defense that doesn't give up big plays (except for some Thomas Jones runs!). When he was out in Miami, the word from Fewell and some players after the game was that they weren't lined up properly throughout the game. Poz didn't play in that game.

Also, since Ellison isn't half-bad at coverage, I'm thinking he's not a complete waste given what LBs are supposed to do know when facing 4-receiver sets with regularity.

I think Poz can be a good steady MLB for years in Buffalo. He won't be a Hall of Famer, or maybe even a Pro Bowler, but most likely his career is one that will be hampered by injuries and he will never reach his full potential or anywhere close to it. He has the heart and desire, and a great attitude, but you can't contribute in civilian clothes because of another injury.

I will say that after reading this, I'm of two minds: it might not have been the best idea for the Bills to trade up to get him (the jury's still out on that), and that when he's in there, the Bills are a better, sounder defense that doesn't give up big plays (except for some Thomas Jones runs!). When he was out in Miami, the word from Fewell and some players after the game was that they weren't lined up properly throughout the game. Poz didn't play in that game.

Also, since Ellison isn't half-bad at coverage, I'm thinking he's not a complete waste given what LBs are supposed to do know when facing 4-receiver sets with regularity.

Nice find Dave. I think serious football fans knew most of the stuff in the article already. But the thought is solidified when you see it written somewhere.

The game continues to evolve. The fullback is an almost extinct position. Linebackers are getting smaller and more and more you see oversized safeties. Specialization continues to increase...pass catching tight ends, blocking tight ends, 2-down linebackers, running back by committee, etc. Many of these practices, prevalent today, were not commonplace just 5-10 years ago.

I like Poz. I think he brings about everything to the table. But he's not an elite player by any means. The article mentions Ray Lewis and Patrick Willis. You can add Jonathan Vilma, Jon Beason and Curtis Lofton to that list. But the number of elite middle linebackers is very small.

Thumper-type linebackers like Keith Bullock are becoming rare. Guys like Rey Maualuga have limited value in today's game.

That is an interesting article. I watched the 30 minute replay of Sunday's game last nite on Direct TV. (an unbelievable concept-well worth the money to replay any game) I tried to focus on what Poz was doing on each play. The guy is OK. He doesn't suck, but he definitely does not dominate the game. From what I could see, he has good instincts on where the play is going, but he is not big and powerful, and he is definitely not overly fast. (kind of reminds me of John Holocek, but with less power and a little more quickness-nowhere near as good a player as Shane Conlan was in his prime though) When he was able to avoid big O lineman leading the play he is effective. But he is nowhere near powerful enough to take on charging O lineman. He was knocked flying on several plays by Carolina lineman. He is what he is-a decent player who I don't think is someone who will ever be a star player. Given his injury history, I am not sure we would want to give him a lucrative extension in the future.

I think Poz can be a good steady MLB for years in Buffalo. He won't be a Hall of Famer, or maybe even a Pro Bowler, but most likely his career is one that will be hampered by injuries and he will never reach his full potential or anywhere close to it. He has the heart and desire, and a great attitude, but you can't contribute in civilian clothes because of another injury.

How can you project that he'll have an injury-plagued career? He has three years in the league - twice he broke his arm in the first three games of the year and once he played all 16 games. If he were in and out of the line up all year, every year I'd agree, but two broken arms does not an injury-prone player make. This year, he broke his arm, he's still playing, and you're suggesting he's injury-prone! :devil:

That is an interesting article. I watched the 30 minute replay of Sunday's game last nite on Direct TV. (an unbelievable concept-well worth the money to replay any game) I tried to focus on what Poz was doing on each play. The guy is OK. He doesn't suck, but he definitely does not dominate the game. From what I could see, he has good instincts on where the play is going, but he is not big and powerful, and he is definitely not overly fast. (kind of reminds me of John Holocek, but with less power and a little more quickness-nowhere near as good a player as Shane Conlan was in his prime though) When he was able to avoid big O lineman leading the play he is effective. But he is nowhere near powerful enough to take on charging O lineman. He was knocked flying on several plays by Carolina lineman. He is what he is-a decent player who I don't think is someone who will ever be a star player. Given his injury history, I am not sure we would want to give him a lucrative extension in the future.

Position by position I am hard pressed to find one guy on the current roster who would start over the same position guy of the early 90's Bills.

The current players we have just aren't very good, on the whole OR individually.

Thumper-type linebackers like Keith Bullock are becoming rare. Guys like Rey Maualuga have limited value in today's game.

The rookie Maualuga:

http://www.nfl.com/players/reymaualuga/profile?id=MAU059326

He's playing OLB, not MLB. He put a good LB - Rashad Jeanty - on the bench. BUF should have taken a go for Jeanty before the trade deadline.

http://www.nfl.com/players/rashadjeanty/profile?id=JEA428791

"Thumper type" LBs are a good thing. IMO. Better that BUF's current crop, Poz excepted...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_CAs3q7G48

:devil:

Position by position I am hard pressed to find one guy on the current roster who would start over the same position guy of the early 90's Bills.

The current players we have just aren't very good, on the whole OR individually.

I agree completely and I'll take it a step further. I remember going over the starting rosters position by position comparing The Bills to the rest of the AFCE teams and thinking there was nobody I'd rather have on The Bills more than the guy was already there. There were a couple of close ones though. I thought Klecko and Marino were pretty damn good.

This latest era of Bills has very few Pro Bowlers and no HOF candidates IMHO.

Even when Fabio is healthy, the only linebacker he reminds me of is Edgar Chandler. And, anybody who endured those Bills years with him at MLB remember how much he sucked... and so does Fabio... get us a real MLB.... one like Zack Thomas used to be... one that makes plays down in and down out.

Man... Fletcher was so much better.

stroud over wright? anyone over JD Williams? anyone over Kelso?

Hahahahaha

How can you project that he'll have an injury-plagued career? He has three years in the league - twice he broke his arm in the first three games of the year and once he played all 16 games. If he were in and out of the line up all year, every year I'd agree, but two broken arms does not an injury-prone player make. This year, he broke his arm, he's still playing, and you're suggesting he's injury-prone! :devil:

Reread your own post. "He has three years in the league-twice he broke his arm" That my friend is being injury prone.