Ryan Fitzpatrick = Kelly Holcomb

Griz

atleast he gets completion be it 1 yard or 10

I was there at the game, it was painful .....I was like just run the ball and punt, don't throw it out of bounds every play fitzy

He was pressured alot and was hit a few times while throwing. He also had several dropped passes by his receivers in the first half. No doubt he was throwing some ugly balls, but I will take any day over the predictable checkdown. Trent was going to get either Freddy or Lynch injured because defenses were keying up on the checkdown.

I have that feeling we're still not getting any progress at the QB position.

LOL! you people and the QB comments are ridiculous. NO QB will do well behind the pathetic offensive line in Buffalo. 4 of the 5 starters on the O-line that have LESS than 10 career starts. Hangman is the only guy with any experience and you keep blaming the QB for everything. The line has potencial but they have ZERO experience. They don't pass protect OR run block for squat. Carolina has one of the worst run defenses in the NFL and the Bills averaged 1.8 yards per carry. If I follow your logic, the bad run game this past week should be directly blamed on the QB. LOL!

LOL! you people and the QB comments are ridiculous. NO QB will do well behind the pathetic offensive line in Buffalo. 4 of the 5 starters on the O-line that have LESS than 10 career starts. Hangman is the only guy with any experience and you keep blaming the QB for everything. The line has potencial but they have ZERO experience. They don't pass protect OR run block for squat. Carolina has one of the worst run defenses in the NFL and the Bills averaged 1.8 yards per carry. If I follow your logic, the bad run game this past week should be directly blamed on the QB. LOL!

It also doesn't help when your STAR receiver doesn't know how to CATCH.

Not a bad comparison, but better than Edwards at this point (IMO).

On 24 attempts Sunday Fitzpatrick was sacked, knocked down or pressured on 14.

Fix the O-line, then think about fixing the QB position.

Fitzpatrick is nothing but a career backup, and a crappy one at that. And the comment about the STAR reciever dropping balls, Hell get ti to him and maybe he will catch it almost every ball that was thrown his way was over thrown or under thrown. Yea TE may throw alot to his back but at least when he does throw to his recievers the ball actually gets to them and is catchable

Not a bad comparison, but better than Edwards at this point (IMO).

On 24 attempts Sunday Fitzpatrick was sacked, knocked down or pressured on 14.

Fix the O-line, then think about fixing the QB position.

Why can't we try to do both at the same time? Fitzpatrick might be able to lead a team to 10-6 or so with a great O-line, but that's a best-case. Edwards is worthless. I'd like to go QB at the top of the draft, and make O-line (especially the tackles, but there's currently no depth in the middle) the overall top priority in the off-season. I'd like at least 1 decent veteran signing and at least 1 pick in the first 3 rounds.

Fitzpatrick is nothing but a career backup, and a crappy one at that. And the comment about the STAR reciever dropping balls, Hell get ti to him and maybe he will catch it almost every ball that was thrown his way was over thrown or under thrown. Yea TE may throw alot to his back but at least when he does throw to his recievers the ball actually gets to them and is catchable

oh you mean like the screen to Josh Reed wasn't catchable? Or I'm pretty sure there was one drop by TO that hit him right in the numbers. Those weren't catchable?

Even the one he jumped for...I mean yeah he had to jump but it went straight through his hands. He is a future HOFer he absolutely HAS TO make that catch.

Yea TE may throw alot to his back but at least when he does throw to his recievers the ball actually gets to them and is catchable

Did you actually watch the games TE played in, without the rose colored glasses on, I mean. TE was off target just as much if not MORE than Fitz was. Behind, high, too far, stared down the receiver; you name it Trent threw it. Anyone trying to make it out like Trent was this incredibly accurate passer needs their eyes checked.

I keep hearing a Stat about how Fitz only completed about 45%, how much higher would that have been if the almighty Owens as well as a few other options had actually held onto or caught the ball? I lost track of the times i heard the announcers say you have to catch that.

Lastly, as far as I'm concerned: some say Edwards, some say Fitzy, some say Hamdan. I say we need a REAL NFL QB.

I think that Fitz is a great back up. The guy knows he might not compete for a starting job but he studies the game and comes in and does a respectable job for a 1-4 week period. Fitz isn't the answer as the starter and the Holcomb comparison is a good one you know veteran guy can come in and have average games but overall can't win games against good teams.

Fitz is the prototypical backup (Experienced but not trying to be the starter) and I don't doubt will be on the roster for several years as the backup not the starter. In the end the QB just isn't on this roster (Unless Edwards comes back up and just lights it up but I doubt thats going to happen). So we need to take a QB round one and figure out the rest later.

Holcomb was a significantly better QB than a lot of people give him credit for. He was certainly a much more accurate passer than Fitzpatrick.

In every Bills game Holcomb played from start to finish, the offense produced a minimum of 14 points.

It's not like anyone can credit that to the offensive line, because we didn't have an offensive line the year Holcomb played. Mike Gandy was the line's best player; and was joined by guys like Trey Teague, Chris Villarrial, and Mike Williams.

It's not like we can credit those 14 points a game to the running game, because in a lot of games, the running attack was shut down. Stuffed. Wrecked.

The WRs deserve some of the credit for that production. However, they were often less than stellar at getting open, and tended to drop their fair share of passes (and then some). Moulds--the primary receiver--was on his last legs, and produced nothing after that year.

That leaves Holcomb. Weak arm and all, he was an expert at making something out of nothing. He made the offense produce, despite the complete absence of anything even resembling pass protection, and despite the inconsistencies of the running game.

How big a deal is 14 points for the offense? That's how many points Tom Brady scored in his most recent Super Bowl, despite being on an offense loaded with a ton more talent than the Bills had back in 2005.

Edwards and Fitzpatrick have a long way to go before they're able to produce at a Holcomb-like level.

Did you actually watch the games TE played in, without the rose colored glasses on, I mean. TE was off target just as much if not MORE than Fitz was. Behind, high, too far, stared down the receiver; you name it Trent threw it. Anyone trying to make it out like Trent was this incredibly accurate passer needs their eyes checked.

I keep hearing a Stat about how Fitz only completed about 45%, how much higher would that have been if the almighty Owens as well as a few other options had actually held onto or caught the ball? I lost track of the times i heard the announcers say you have to catch that.

Lastly, as far as I'm concerned: some say Edwards, some say Fitzy, some say Hamdan. I say we need a REAL NFL QB.

One of the things which really helped the results produced by Fitzy is that some of his passes were so badly thrown that even the defenders playing close to the receivers were out of position for a ball that seemed to begging to be intercepted. In particular when he came in against the Jets, AVP simplified his playcalling for a QB who had practiced all week with the B players and a couple of times Jets defenders were clearly jumping the routes. Fortunately (and ironically) Fitz was so off target with his throws no one had a shot at them.

I for one was not surprised to see Fitzy rack up a no INT game as quite often he simply does not throw well enough for anyone to catch the ball.