Keith Ellison

Who says he isn't?

And does tackling someone from behind downfield all that impressive? Our defense allows a billion yards a game on the ground. Tom Brady threw at Keith Ellison about 10 times in a row on their way to victory.

Seriously.

If he stops the run than that's a good thing. I haven't payed close attention to him so I wouldn't know but leading the entire NFL in tackles is NOT a bad thing.

I'm not really going to continue with this if you aren't going to bother to think any of this through. The tackle number is a meaningless statistic out of context. Stuffing someone behind the line of scrimmage is different than chasing down a guy 5-10 past the line of scrimmage who just caught a ball in your area. Both register "1" in the tackle column.

Exactly... nice way of putting it. I saw some bad LB play from Ellison today, but also some good play. He works his nuts off, and I love his effort, but he gets blown out too easy.

I do like his tackling ability this year though, thus his stats. Too bad he makes as many crappy plays as he makes good plays. Reminds me of Cornelius Bennett in his later years.

If he stops the run than that's a good thing. I haven't payed close attention to him so I wouldn't know but leading the entire NFL in tackles is NOT a bad thing.

No one is saying its a bad thing that he is tacking runners, what folks are saying is that he gets the chance to tackles so many folks because opposing OCs feel that they can get a good chunk of yards before Ellison drags them down and they choose to make his side a target of running plays or passing plays to a man he is covering because they think he is a good target to exploit. Further that he is a better target to exploit than going after Kawika Mitchell when he was around, UDFA Ashlee Palmer, or FA pick-up Draft (who they feebly actually went after a lot today).

One way to perhaps see this differently is to consider London Fletcher who folks also note is in the top 5 in the NFL in this category this year and always led the Bills in tackles.

Do you see that it must mean different things when it is your MLB leading the league in tackles or an OLB like Elliison leading the league?

At least with Fletch one without knowing anything but the basics of football can see that the MLB has responsibilities from sideline to sideline and should be high in the number of tackles simply due to the area of coverage he takes at MLB. Add to this for Fletcher that he really does run like a demon and truly gets in on plays from sideline to sideline AND also has deep middle cover duty in the Tampa 2 style D the Bills ran as well as the traditional short pass coverage duty of the LB.

Ellison on the other hand has amassed his tackle numbers covering 1/3 to 1/2 the field at most traditionally. Logically you have to see that either Ellison is ranging all over the field from his OLB spot or opposing OCs are sending the ball his way an awful lot. Perhaps if the OLB on the oppositeside from him Ray Lewis, it might be believable thar Ellison is a great player who sees a lot of action as there is an even greater player on the other side.

However, the virtual revolving door of partner LBs would seem to be an indicator that opposing OCs still seek out Ellison and give him lots of chances.

Given that the Bills have been lousy in rush defense overall, the fact that Ellison is playing such a central role is troubling issue for this fan and I would need to be convinced that he is doing an adequate job and if not for him it would be worse.

The tackles stat is a long long way from making that case.

Ellison has been good this year. People are still down on him since the NE game.

OMFG

Ellison is the WORST linebacker I HAVE EVER SEEN. EVER. Its every down. Every down he f**** up. I hope you recorded the Carolina game, go back and watch it. Its down right putrid. I cannot even begin to put his play into words. I just never knew someone that bad could ever exist.

i also think ellison is among the leage leaders in tackles because the bills D never gets off the field. it seems like teams they play run nearly double the plays the bill run. he is making his tackles 5-10 after the LOS. i think a more meaningful stat to look at would be tackles for loss.

If I go on another Ellison rant, I think I'll be banned.

As has been noted by Scott, him leading the NFL in tackles is an amazingly misleading stat. The Bills NEED to replace this guy since it's clear he's being targeted week in and week out on the Defense. I have no problem with Ellison as a backup, but he's a huge problem for our Defense as a starter. Yes he can make plays from time to time, but a majority of the time he's just a speed bump.

I can only hope that the Bills will actually notice that this upcoming year's FA class of linebackers is insanely deep and make it a priority.

See? I didn't rant...I'm totally calm.

If I go on another Ellison rant, I think I'll be banned.

As has been noted by Scott, him leading the NFL in tackles is an amazingly misleading stat. The Bills NEED to replace this guy since it's clear he's being targeted week in and week out on the Defense. I have no problem with Ellison as a backup, but he's a huge problem for our Defense as a starter. Yes he can make plays from time to time, but a majority of the time he's just a speed bump.

I can only hope that the Bills will actually notice that this upcoming year's FA class of linebackers is insanely deep and make it a priority.

See? I didn't rant...I'm totally calm.

Are you kidding me? He's the best defender we have on the field. You aren't ranting because you have no facts.

Come on, just give us a little rant.

Are you kidding me? He's the best defender we have on the field. You aren't ranting because you have no facts.

You have to be 100% sarcastic. I wouldnt even want Ellison starting for my local HS team.

Must...not...rant...must...be...calm...

You're in a meadow, surrounded by singing birds and being fed grapes by women with loose morals. Just breathe BGIOP, just breathe...

i also think ellison is among the leage leaders in tackles because the bills D never gets off the field. it seems like teams they play run nearly double the plays the bill run. he is making his tackles 5-10 after the LOS. i think a more meaningful stat to look at would be tackles for loss.

LB don't make too many tackles for losses unless they blitz. That's a DL statistic. Also, if people were targeting at the "weak link" on our defense, it would be against Schobel and Draft. I don't think that opposing offenses care where they run it as long as it's not at Stroud. We are last in the league in run defense and that's not all Ellison's fault.

I wonder how Ellison would look if Richard Seymour was playing in front of him instead of Chris Kelsay? I think that Ellison is doing remarkably well given his size. He has made a lot of tackles and several big stops. If we could get a bigger LB to play on running downs, Ellison would be a great 3rd down LB... or we could get a more dominating LDE and keep Ellison behind him.

He is a very small problem on this team.

Awesome, the dude can make tackles. That's what the D is supposed to do. Lots of tackles does not mean he's a great LB. Teams are targeting his area of the field because they can move him 5 yards back before he chases down the back from behind. The large amount of tackles also tells a tale about our D, mostly that it can't get off the field.

LB don't make too many tackles for losses unless they blitz. That's a DL statistic. Also, if people were targeting at the "weak link" on our defense, it would be against Schobel and Draft. I don't think that opposing offenses care where they run it as long as it's not at Stroud. We are last in the league in run defense and that's not all Ellison's fault.

I wonder how Ellison would look if Richard Seymour was playing in front of him instead of Chris Kelsay? I think that Ellison is doing remarkably well given his size. He has made a lot of tackles and several big stops. If we could get a bigger LB to play on running downs, Ellison would be a great 3rd down LB... or we could get a more dominating LDE and keep Ellison behind him.

Ellison is the worst LB in the NFL. He has had 3-4 big stops and 300-400 terrilbe plays. Ellison cannot cover, he cannot pursue, he cannot take on blocks. The only thing he does on a regular basis is suck. He is the biggest problem on the roster, bigger than QB and LT. He is not the sole reason our run D sucks, but he is 90% of the reason. Him on the field is barely better than playing with ten. His only value is comedic value. AKA when I laughed for 5 mins after he was pancaked by D.Williams stiff arm.

[/quoten

Did anyone see D.Williams stiffarm pakecake block on Ellison?. any high tackle numbers are unimpressive when your defence is on the field for 80 snaps a game, Ellison is to small and not stong enough and blocked out of more plays than i can count but he's all we have right know so we have to pull for him. D.Talley in this late 40's would be an improvement.

leads the league because teams attack him, he doesn't make plays in pass coverage so he is always tackling the guy who catches the ball because he got beat, and did anyone see on the williams td yesterday he got absolutely devoured by an OT which sprung williams?