Clements fails to meet lockdown hype

Kingfish

He's a good corner, and probably would still be the best that the Bills had, but I'm glad we got rid of him rather than pay him. His agent did a stellar job of getting him a huge contract.

I actually though Jabari Greer was one of the best CB's we've had and we let him go too.

I actually though Jabari Greer was one of the best CB's we've had and we let him go too.

I think that award goes to Winfield. But I agree with you that Greer was a very good CB, I would have resigned him, that way we wouldn't have been forced to draft McKelvin in the first round that year.

Amen. Greer much better than Clem. There are so many DBs and not much separated the best form those just below them--it's still stunning to think that GMs pay this much for guys like Clements.

Winfield can tackle, but can't cover.

We can talk about Clemens, Winfield, Greer, etc - all good corners, but the thing we are missing is that our front office close to let them walk and in turn we drafted more DB's to fill the void. had we kept one or two of these guys, we could have drafted an OT, LB, DT, etc instead of always trying to fill gaps by guys who we don't resign. What is the use drafting these talented guys if you can't keep them and form a foundation of strength nad draft other positions we need.... Like I said - all good corners, and for that matter, we again have good corners....now about that O-Line....

All of the Vikings fans that live here would tend to disagree with that statement.

Winfield went out last week, and the defense collapsed against Baltimore.

I saw the game and I agree with you. I didn't realize Winfield was out until 41? was in and kept getting scorched. I've seen 5 of the Vikes games this year and Winfield still excels.

The knock on his coverage is way overblown.

All of the Vikings fans that live here would tend to disagree with that statement.

Winfield went out last week, and the defense collapsed against Baltimore.

Agreed, that was not a correct statement. Winfield can tackle, can cover, is exceptional in every facet of the game. His problem is that he has hands of stone. He couldn't catch to save his life. However, that being said, I wish like hell we still had him on the Bills because his coverage skills and run support were excellent.

Very wrong.

I saw the game and I agree with you. I didn't realize Winfield was out until 41? was in and kept getting scorched. I've seen 5 of the Vikes games this year and Winfield still excels.

Yes, I never remember him having difficulty in coverage. I never remember anyone with any credibility questioning his coverage ability.

Agreed, that was not a correct statement. Winfield can tackle, can cover, is exceptional in every facet of the game. His problem is that he has hands of stone. He couldn't catch to save his life. However, that being said, I wish like hell we still had him on the Bills because his coverage skills and run support were excellent.

Finally. Thank you BadDad. Yes the knock on Winfield has always been that he is not a ballhawk. And if there is one weakness to his game, that is it.

That said, he might be the best run support cornerback I've ever seen. Great tackler. And I don't mean just a sure-handed tackler. He thumps people, like the defensive equivalent to Hines Ward.

Don't break your arm there bud. You also told us how great Terrence Newman, Cortland Finnegan and DeAngelo Hall are. :ph34r:

I wouldn't go that far. He's certainly had his share of issues losing coverage down the field, often as a result of being too eager to come up and whup somebody's ass. But the guy has always shown great cover skills in the shorter zones.

I was actually telling one of my coworkers today (Vikings fan) about how ridiculous some of the comments are on this board, and mentioned the knocks on Winfield and Clements, stating that I thought they were both excellent, but that some fans here disagreed.

The Vikings fan thought the Winfield comments were ridiculous. A 49ers fan was walking by my cube at the same time, and said that he's still psyched that they have Clements -- said he's one of the best guys on the defense and thanked the Bills for letting him go. :ph34r:

We can talk about Clemens, Winfield, Greer, etc - all good corners, but the thing we are missing is that our front office close to let them walk and in turn we drafted more DB's to fill the void. had we kept one or two of these guys, we could have drafted an OT, LB, DT, etc instead of always trying to fill gaps by guys who we don't resign. What is the use drafting these talented guys if you can't keep them and form a foundation of strength nad draft other positions we need.... Like I said - all good corners, and for that matter, we again have good corners....now about that O-Line....

Nobody but nobody drafts corners as well as the Buffalo Bills. Too bad it's 2 of 22 starting positions. If we drafted other positons as well as CB, we'd be perennial playoff contenders. :ph34r:

I was actually telling one of my coworkers today (Vikings fan) about how ridiculous some of the comments are on this board, and mentioned the knocks on Winfield and Clements, stating that I thought they were both excellent, but that some fans here disagreed.

The Vikings fan thought the Winfield comments were ridiculous. A 49ers fan was walking by my cube at the same time, and said that he's still psyched that they have Clements -- said he's one of the best guys on the defense and thanked the Bills for letting him go. :ph34r:

Winfield was a keeper. I love how he thumps people and, based on my viewing this year, he seems to set the tempo for the back 7 on d.

Nate wasn't worth the jack - what corner truly is save for Asogmuha - though I think he's a very good physical corner (run support and coverage). He lost some weight to improve on last season which wasn't his best. He looks quicker this year, and if you can overlook the Roddy White game, he's played well. Let's face it, Nate gets burned cause he takes a lot of risks, not always wise ones.

The thing that pissed me off was that we got nothing for him.