What I can and cannot ask for

If you own a house, it's incumbent upon you to find out and learn such. Period.

Sorry to be harsh - but as the old saying goes "a man's house is his castle". So you have to educate yourself; else, you will pay out money for not doing due diligence about learning about a home's construction and the many ways it can suffer damage.

EXACTAMUNDO!

Those little 10 dollar water alarms really come in handy. My ejector pump switch went out in my basement recently... I have hung plumbing so water from my water softener and stationary tub goes into a separate sump pit and is ejected out the house plumbing... Anyway the softener recharges at 0200 and the pump switch fails... I had the alarm right next to the pit for such occasion and the thing begins to scream when the pump fails to kick on... WIFE SLEEPS RIGHT THROUGH IT... I wake up right away in the nick of time and plug the pimp in manually to knock the water in the pit down... I had a spare/back-up electronic piggy back switch that I installed...

But point of story... It is amazing what people don't know about their "castle!"

Again... A 10 dollar battery operated water alarm is a good thing to have in certain locations... NOt to mention whent he mother-in-law comes over and does laundry and forgets to take the drain plug out of the stationary tub! :P:lol: Like mother like daughter! :lol:

John, try not to personalize what I'm about to say because I only say it with the utmost respect for what you've been going through this past year, and I completely understand that sometimes life ain't fair and sometimes life ain't easy, but if I were married to you, I'd kill myself.

:P

Life is all about dotting the I's and crossing the T's... One can't just stick it in cruise control and forget about things. There is a reason why when I get to my work, we have to check all our sump and machine pits before each shift... Even worse in the winter when you have to be MORE VIGILANT where you may have freezing conditions and have to hang over a 20 foot deep pit and connect the bypass hose!

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!

I can't imagine a toilet backing up in this fashion... I just can't imagine it... I would be fired at work if I let that happen to my machine pits and caused a catastrophic failure that held up millions in traffic and commodities... EVEN IF THE FAILURE WAS CAUSED BY FORCES I COULDN'T CONTROL. I am still supposed to be watching.

John, try not to personalize what I'm about to say because I only say it with the utmost respect for what you've been going through this past year, and I completely understand that sometimes life ain't fair and sometimes life ain't easy, but if I were married to you, I'd kill myself.

lay off...he just found out that his wife is capable of taking a toilet clogging dump.

EXACTAMUNDO!

Those little 10 dollar water alarms really come in handy. My ejector pump switch went out in my basement recently... I have hung plumbing so water from my water softener and stationary tub goes into a separate sump pit and is ejected out the house plumbing... Anyway the softener recharges at 0200 and the pump switch fails... I had the alarm right next to the pit for such occasion and the thing begins to scream when the pump fails to kick on... WIFE SLEEPS RIGHT THROUGH IT... I wake up right away in the nick of time and plug the pimp in manually to knock the water in the pit down... I had a spare/back-up electronic piggy back switch that I installed...

But point of story... It is amazing what people don't know about their "castle!"

Again... A 10 dollar battery operated water alarm is a good thing to have in certain locations... NOt to mention whent he mother-in-law comes over and does laundry and forgets to take the drain plug out of the stationary tub! :doh::lol: Like mother like daughter! :unsure:

I have those, also.

I also have a good weather radio. It is very loud and clear. It has a light that illuminated the ceiling. We have perhaps 4 or 5 tornado warnings per year here in SW Ohio, along with numerous severe thunderstorm warnings.

It's located on top of the armoire in our bedroom - about 4 feet up and away from the side of the bed my wife sleeps on.

It can go off and scream bloody murder - she doesn't wake up.

lay off...he just found out that his wife is capable of taking a toilet clogging dump.

Good point. I remember the first time I realized my own wife's capabilities. It was pretty stressful around our house.

"So let me get this right: we need to cut you open to deliver a baby but THAT you can do on your own?"

Good point. I remember the first time I realized my own wife's capabilities. It was pretty stressful around our house.

"So let me get this right: we need to cut you open to deliver a baby but THAT you can do on your own?"

:doh:

no man wants to acknowledge that his women is capable of rivaling his foulness.

Dont forget lucy pulling the football away avery time I go to kick it

:wallbash::lol:

But you know she is going to do it! Does your baseball team win when you are absent?

:P:D

Hang in there!

For the life of me... I still can't figure out how it backed up that bad... Was there an open water pipe feeding the sewer?? :unsure::wallbash: What worries me John is that the water wasn't clean, it is effluent. :wallbash::wallbash:

I have those, also.

I also have a good weather radio. It is very loud and clear. It has a light that illuminated the ceiling. We have perhaps 4 or 5 tornado warnings per year here in SW Ohio, along with numerous severe thunderstorm warnings.

It's located on top of the armoire in our bedroom - about 4 feet up and away from the side of the bed my wife sleeps on.

It can go off and scream bloody murder - she doesn't wake up.

:wallbash:

A few years ago when BFLO played INDY in INDY... I went to that game... The night before, I get a call in my hotel room at 0300... This was the pre-game night out so to understate, I was not in good condition... Anyway, I left that evening and the wind was howling (and tossing the Jeep all around I-65 down to Indy... Pouring like a mother too)... My wife calls and is freaking out that our main sump pump is starting to back up and the water alarm is screaming like a banshee in the background... Just barely millimeters from the basement flooding and seeping at the foundation... I had her umplug the switch/pump and deduced it was a bad float... Actually it was just stuck... :unsure: Well anyway, I ordered her to man the pump manually every 5 to 10 minutes! God bless her soul, that she did. My point is that one learns real quick how things work when you have to do something... I take she got a good undersatnding how the sump worked... Probabaly didn't have be there every 5 minutes... She just realized that she had to manually pump the water away at intervals so the system wouldn't back up! I stopped at Home Depot on the way home from Indy and picked up a whole new pump and switch... Nothing got wet, I thank the alarm... She would have never known until it was too late if that thing wasn't screaming!

:wallbash::lol:

But you know she is going to do it! Does your baseball team win when you are absent?

:P:D

Hang in there!

For the life of me... I still can't figure out how it backed up that bad... Was there an open water pipe feeding the sewer?? :unsure::wallbash: What worries me John is that the water wasn't clean, it is effluent. :wallbash::wallbash:

I lived in a apartment once that had a toilet with no overflow drain in the tank-so if the inlet valve stuck[which it would do about 1 time in 10] it would fill the tank till it started overflowing. It was not a good idea to leave after flushing till you confirmed the valve had shut off.

I lived in a apartment once that had a toilet with no overflow drain in the tank-so if the inlet valve stuck[which it would do about 1 time in 10] it would fill the tank till it started overflowing. It was not a good idea to leave after flushing till you confirmed the valve had shut off.

I was thinking something along those lines... I would line the family on the firing squad, if that ever happened... :unsure::wallbash: