Why Does It Seem Like It Takes Forever for Offensive Plays to Develop?

In watching the Monday night game it struck me that both Favre and Rodgers would take 3-5 steps -- and the ball would come out of their hand and hit an open receiver. The Bills NEVER seem to have this happen. When Trent drops back, he rarely lets the ball go right away. I will say that it does seem like Trent is getting worse and worse about sitting in the pocket and holding onto the ball -- which makes it a real recipe for disaster given the weak OL. I don't know that this is simply a QB issue, as we have seen this for the past several years with various QBs. Is it the play calling? The receivers' routes?

In watching the Monday night game it struck me that both Favre and Rodgers would take 3-5 steps -- and the ball would come out of their hand and hit an open receiver. The Bills NEVER seem to have this happen. When Trent drops back, he rarely lets the ball go right away. I will say that it does seem like Trent is getting worse and worse about sitting in the pocket and holding onto the ball -- which makes it a real recipe for disaster given the weak OL. I don't know that this is simply a QB issue, as we have seen this for the past several years with various QBs. Is it the play calling? The receivers' routes?

Mostly it's TE's total lack of confidence to pull the trigger and take a chance that a receiver will make a play. He's had too many plays where he WAS decisive end up in disaster like the pick-6 against Miami. All of his INTs against Cleveland last season. For whatever reason, he can't shake that off.

GO BILLS!!!

You hit the nail on the head - it's mass confusion getting a play to develop. Absolutely painful to watch. And I don't know why they ever put Jackson & Lynch in the backfield at the same time, 'cause you just know they're gonna run into each other.

I think the biggest problem is that we don't have an offensive coordinator like...

(Leach's WRs run such precise patterns - they just practice them over & over & over again - that the QB always knows where they're gonna be. Go ahead and watch the linked video - especially where QB Graham Harrell takes about 2-3 minutes to explain in detail what took him about 2 seconds to execute on the field!)

The Buffalo Bills offensive passing system stinks, this team lacks an offensive identity and hasn't had one since Ted Marchibroda and the K-gun / no huddle.

A head coach like Jon Gruden or Mike Shanahan would being the west coast offense with them and install it, the offense would then change dramatically for the better.

After watching that half azzed pick six that Edwards threw against against the Dolphins I've come to realize that the offense needs a complete overhaul, someone needs to take the current playbook and trash can it.

IMO, this is the single biggest problem with the offense. Many of the line problems could be masked if Trent would just throw the :wallbash: ball. If the WRs are running routes that take 5 seconds to develop, then, yes, there's a larger problem. However, I'm not sure that's the case. At least not on every pass play.

Trent needs to drop back and throw. I can only guess that he's unable to read a defense and make the decisions fast enough or he's just scared to throw. Either way, until he figures it out, we're screwed.