Pitoniak: "Time for some Cowher Power in Buffalo"

Lori

Let me ask you a question. Are you HAPPY with the Bills defense? Jon Gruden is an offensive Coach ONLY. He would most likely retain Fewell to run the Defense. Think about that.

How do you know who he would want to hire to coach the defense? Much more likely it would be somebody he had already worked with.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ralph WILL NOT sign Cowher, Shanahan, Holmgren or Shotzy. The only one

who might sign is Gruden, who went to MNF to keep his sullied name in the

public eye.

Cowher would not sign here. I believe he would want to go with a team that is

on the upswing, with very few needs. Ain't us, we need a pass rusher, O-line,

QB and after Owens leaves, another WR. Toss in he would probably want

full control, which Ralph would not do.

Shanahan would probably want the same as Cowher.

Holmgren does not thrill me as a HC anyway, didn't do much with Seattle and had

his GM duties taken away prior to quitting.

Shotzy might have an outside chance, if he still wanted to coach. Probably would

rather have a more stable organization considering his age.

Gruden is the only one of the group I think we have a shot at. I don't think teams

would be clamoring for his services with the above guys available, and I think he

knows this. Don't know how good he really is, considering he won the SB with Dungy's

team (against his old team to be fair). He didn't seem to develop any QB's in TB

considering that is his supposed strong suit. Would bring flair to the HC job for sure.

All in all, no way Ralph signs a big money guy and gives total control. We get one of these

guys only if they are on the cheap and don't want total control.

http://scottpitoniak.blogspot.com/2009/10/...in-buffalo.html

Yeah, I know this has little to no chance of actually happening, and I'm betting Scott does too. But hey, it's fun to consider the possibility, no?

Until Ralph passes and a stable, long term owner and management team is in place, only guys trying to crack the NFL coaching ranks for the first time or are trying to just hang on (this goes for players too) , guys who know the franchise sucks top to bottom but want to get their feet wet anyway, will take the huge gamble on this franchise, which is always a heartbeat away from a complete change of ownership/management and probably location. Would you take a job knowing your boss was leaving soon and the company was likely to move to another unknown city thereafter? Answer: No. Stop dreaming Bills fans, the rock star NFL long age passed backward little Buffalo by.. reality bites...

I can't believe Lebeau was actually a coach on this team in this decade...to me that's going to be one of the all-time oddities in this franchise's history.

I had my season tkts when Lebeau was there.. the zone blitz defense with spikes and winfield, sam adams, pat williams.. awesome... he left to go home to Pittsburg as soon as their was an opening... he was just biding his time in buff waiting to go home ...

Ralph WILL NOT sign Cowher, Shanahan, Holmgren or Shotzy. The only one

who might sign is Gruden, who went to MNF to keep his sullied name in the

public eye.

Cowher would not sign here. I believe he would want to go with a team that is

on the upswing, with very few needs. Ain't us, we need a pass rusher, O-line,

QB and after Owens leaves, another WR. Toss in he would probably want

full control, which Ralph would not do.

Shanahan would probably want the same as Cowher.

Holmgren does not thrill me as a HC anyway, didn't do much with Seattle and had

his GM duties taken away prior to quitting.

Shotzy might have an outside chance, if he still wanted to coach. Probably would

rather have a more stable organization considering his age.

Gruden is the only one of the group I think we have a shot at. I don't think teams

would be clamoring for his services with the above guys available, and I think he

knows this. Don't know how good he really is, considering he won the SB with Dungy's

team (against his old team to be fair). He didn't seem to develop any QB's in TB

considering that is his supposed strong suit. Would bring flair to the HC job for sure.

All in all, no way Ralph signs a big money guy and gives total control. We get one of these

guys only if they are on the cheap and don't want total control.

Gruden is a lot like Jauron, not many options.. might have to suck it up and go to Buff just to stay in the league... the guy loves coaching that much... so maybe that works... more NFL leftovers for the poor bills...

I had my season tkts when Lebeau was there.. the zone blitz defense with spikes and winfield, sam adams, pat williams.. awesome... he left to go home to Pittsburg as soon as their was an opening... he was just biding his time in buff waiting to go home ...

LeBeau is actually from Ohio and spent most of his coaching career with the Bengals.

Not that I blame him for taking the first flight out of Buffalo to Pittsburgh. Nothing like going from the outhouse to the penthouse in one move.

I'd LOVE Fisher as Coach of the Bills, even though I HATE him. Haslett may not be a better Coach than Jauron, but at least his team would not be as BORING

Normally, I'd say that Fisher is not going anywhere, but after the Shanahan & Gruden firings last year, I won't quite guarantee it. Nevertheless, I'd still put my money on Jeff Fisher staying exactly where he is.

What this organization needs is a football guy to take over the operations just like Donahoe did. I understand Ralph may not be willing to give up that control after the TD disaster, but it's the only way they'll get out of this mess. It may need to be someone of a Cowher/Holmgren caliber (even though I don't think it's ever a good idea for the coach to also be the GM - that's a conversation for another day) just so that the franchise gains some respectability back.

We all agree that a house-cleaning is in order, but what I see likely happening is that Ralph will let Jauron go at the end of the season and let Russ Brandon hire a new coach. If Russ is smart, he'd enlist the help of someone who has plenty of experience in the league to help hire a guy that knows what he's doing.

Man are you twisting the facts to fit your argument.

Gregg Williams didn't re-sign because he thought he was going to do well that last year and then could make Ralph pay him much more as a proven winner. His unwarranted confidence in his ability to win that last year is what caused him to turn down that contract.

Mularkey turned them down because his family had been threatened and because he didn't want to work with a GM he'd never worked with before.

Neither of these were a result of the organizational problems you imply.

Thurman, Gregg Williams is a very self-confident person, no doubt about that. But he is not stupid. The first two years of his three year contract were used to clean the roster out. There was no way that he could win, especially with the way this franchise was operated. His roster was never close to being serious contenders. He realized that, as everyone in the league already knows. The Bills' organization as it is constituted is designed to fail. As soon as his contract was up he signed with the Skins as their DC for twice the salary.

No coach will matter without a GM and some competent personnel people. No to say they wouldn't do much better than DJ, but who can work with these handicaps?

Thank you.

Until MOdrak and Guy are gone, the beat will go on no matter who is coaching this team.

How do you know who he would want to hire to coach the defense? Much more likely it would be somebody he had already worked with.

Well, he won't be hiring Monte Kiffen. He could hire an assistent he has had, but I would not be surprised if he retained Fewell & all the defensive coaches.

Until Ralph passes and a stable, long term owner and management team is in place, only guys trying to crack the NFL coaching ranks for the first time or are trying to just hang on (this goes for players too) , guys who know the franchise sucks top to bottom but want to get their feet wet anyway, will take the huge gamble on this franchise, which is always a heartbeat away from a complete change of ownership/management and probably location. Would you take a job knowing your boss was leaving soon and the company was likely to move to another unknown city thereafter? Answer: No. Stop dreaming Bills fans, the rock star NFL long age passed backward little Buffalo by.. reality bites...

F off. Buffalo is an integral part of this league. I've been all around this country, lived in the Southwest for the past 13 years, moved back to Buffalo; and know for a fact this is a major viable franchise. Its funny, that people from all over this world would hate to see Buffalo lose a team, but people from its home town talk like its fact. What is wrong with this attitude. I am sick of this 'whoa is me' attitude around here, and I have only been back for 6 weeks. By the way, I am back with a SoCal girl who loves this area for what it is. She loves it.

OK, sorry for the rant, but there are a certain level of people that need to move away if they hate the area so much, or are so down. Life is too short to live somewhere that pisses you off so much. There are a bunch of us, that like the area alot! Buffalo kicks ass.