JP won't start next week

Mikie2times

JP won't start next week and I don't know why. I just know he won't and since I can not come up with any valid statement to support such a decision I'm even more frustrated.

This is what I expect from Mularkey this week

Drew didn't play his best game but as a team we just did not come ready to play. New England challenged us and we did not respond. Drew still gives this team the best opportunity to win football games so that is the direction we will go right now.

Please can you just save the sugar coating for one week. Say something logical, anything but what I just said. ...ANYTHING!!!!

Probably MM will start Bledsoe until we are mathematically eliminated. But I would name JP the starter at this point. It is all academic at this point. What have we got to lose?

I'm glad MM let JP get some reps. Maybe JP will now realize that he has a ways too go before being a real Qb inthe NFL and study accordingly.

Losman looked horrible. Drew starts next week without question. 2005 will be Losman's time if it is going to happen - he just doesn't have enough NFL experience (meaning everything - film, practice, etc.) to be viable right now. Both turnovers in garbage time were eyepoppingly bad.

My argument for starting JP is this, what do we have to play for this year? Will we make the playoffs? No. Of course we should try and win every game that we play but we need to get JP some experience no matter how ugly it gets. If you sit JP this year he ends up taking his lumps next year, I don't know about you guys but in order to keep my mental health I need to believe we become a winner next season.

You don't start Losman until you are mathematically out of it. Even if you have a shred of a chance you stay with your opening day starter. That's just how it is in the NFL.

Remember how Wade was (rightly) crucified for quitting on his team? The same would happen to MM if he pulled the plug too soon.

You don't start Losman until you are mathematically out of it.  Even if you have a shred of a chance you stay with your opening day starter.  That's just how it is in the NFL.

Remember how Wade was (rightly) crucified for quitting on his team?  The same would happen to MM if he pulled the plug too soon.

117359[/snapback]

I think it is over in terms of the playoffs. They are now in 15th place out of 16 in the conference. There are eight teams that are 6-3 or better in the AFC. Three of them would have to go below .500 and the Bills would have to go 7-0 to have any chance. 1 in a 1000. At this point, you do what's best for the franchise.

If you're going to make a switch and live under an illusion that the season can be resurrected, you start Matthews.

117371[/snapback]

I don't think our season can be resurrected no matter who is taking the snaps. What I do think is we can save 2005 by starting Losman now.

I think it is over in terms of the playoffs. They are now in 15th place out of 16 in the conference. There are eight teams that are 6-3 or better in the AFC. Three of them would have to go below .500 and the Bills would have to go 7-0 to have any chance. 1 in a 1000. At this point, you do what's best for the franchise.

117368[/snapback]

Right. The Wade argument hold no water here. What did they have to do? Win 4 games and get a bit of help? That's nothing compared to having to win 7 straight, with 5 of those on the road, and STILL need a bunch of help.

If you start Losman do you sit Fletcher and Spikes also. After all, if you are admitting the season is over and you just want to get the young QB experience then why ask the vets to go all out and possibly have a career ending injury.

No.. I think Bledsoe starts till the bitter end. I'm sure the players understand he is the best chance this year for wins.

I think something is getting missed here...

Yes....Losman is green but I just dont see how he gets better by sitting on the bench and running the scout team......

He needs the reps....and if we are going to sit there and watch a QB flounder then I would rather see the one that is going to get better every week......

Losman should start immediately......

You don't start Losman until you are mathematically out of it.  Even if you have a shred of a chance you stay with your opening day starter.  That's just how it is in the NFL.

Remember how Wade was (rightly) crucified for quitting on his team?  The same would happen to MM if he pulled the plug too soon.

117359[/snapback]

Drew's already effectively pulled the plug on this team. No amount of dancing by TD and MM will change that.

I don't think our season can be resurrected no matter who is taking the snaps. What I do think is we can save 2005 by starting Losman now.

117372[/snapback]

Mike, Either way, a change is overdue. But I'm a bit wary, watching the likes of David Klingler and Akili Smith get thrown to the wolves.

I'd start Matthews. I know that many on the board have a low opinion of him, but I think they are in error. He's had a good number of starts, certainly doesn't throw bullets, but is reasonably mobile, avoids both sacks and interceptions, and spreads the passes around. Consider him a Van Pelt that has many more starts and completed games.

I'd worry that if JP finished out the season, either he'd be shell-shocked, or that the team would get more disheartened than they are at the moment with the mistakes that would be inevitable.

Mike, Either way, a change is overdue. But I'm a bit wary, watching the likes of David Klingler and Akili Smith get thrown to the wolves. 

I'd start Matthews. I know that many on the board have a low opinion of him, but I think they are in error. He's had a good number of starts, certainly doesn't throw bullets, but is reasonably mobile, avoids both sacks and interceptions, and spreads the passes around. Consider him a Van Pelt that has many more starts and completed games.

I'd worry that if JP finished out the season, either he'd be shell-shocked, or that the team would get more disheartened than they are at the moment with the mistakes that would be inevitable.

117401[/snapback]

Starting Mathews does nothing for us though. If they were going to try to see if he could win games for us, they needed to do it sooner. The only reason to bench Drew would be to start Losman and give him experience.

117401[/snapback]

We might just have a difference in philosophy, personally I don't think the Akili/Leaf/Klingler's failed because they got thrown to the wolves. I think they failed because QB is a extremely difficult position that takes a rare player to be successful.

I look at what the Jaguars are doing this year and hope that we can mirror what they have been able to accomplish next season. Last year they start Leftwhich (sp?) in replace of the ineffective Brunell. Leftwhich takes his lumps, the team shows slow progress, and because of the experience Leftwhich got his team was ready to unite behind him at the start of this year.

You can then look at Carson Palmer as a alternative. Palmer gets no time last season and is named the starter for this year. While he is beginning to come around it's no surprise to me that its happening 7-8 games into the season. Game experience is allowing him to improve and actually be the leader of the Bengals. This is what I want JP to be able to get out of the way in what has already become a lost season.

This philosophy is not 100% and plenty of quarterbacks take different paths to success. As a side note I agree that Mathews would probably give us the best chance at winning this season, but to me doing whatever we can to increase our chances next year is more important then finishing 6-10, 7-9, or 8-8 this year.

We might just have a difference in philosophy, personally I don't think the Akili/Leaf/Klingler's failed because they got thrown to the wolves. I think they failed because QB is a extremely difficult position that takes a rare player to be successful.

I look at what the Jaguars are doing this year and hope that we can mirror what they have been able to accomplish next season. Last year they start Leftwhich (sp?) in replace of the ineffective Brunell. Leftwhich takes his lumps, the team shows slow progress, and because of the experience Leftwhich got his team was ready to unite behind him at the start of this year.

You can then look at Carson Palmer as a alternative. Palmer gets no time last season  and is named the starter for this year. While he is beginning to come around it's no surprise to me that its happening 7-8 games into the season. Game experience is allowing him to improve and actually be the leader of the Bengals. This is what I want JP to be able to get out of the way in what has already become a lost season.

This philosophy is not 100% and plenty of quarterbacks take different paths to success. As a side not I agree that Mathews would probably give us the best chance at winning this season, but to me doing whatever we can to increase our chances next year is more important then finishing 6-10, 7-9, or 8-8 this year.

117431[/snapback]

Yep. It's a coin flip - validity on both sides.