Byrd To Get His First Start On Sunday

H2o

Best wishes, 'Lil Butch!

Pretty impressive draft though. Maybin, Wood, Levitre, Nelson & Byrd have all contributed/started, and others wait in the wings. Not sure if they'll all turn out as starters, but we're doing everything to give them reps and build strong depth.

It appears from the link, the vasy majority of us agreed with the picks. Pretty rare!

http://buffalorumblings.com/2009/4/26/8549...falo-bills-pick

I've noticed the bad angles, too.

He's also committed a bunch of penalties. But our talent evaluators saw something!

As noted by many before, he is a rookie who missed a lot of camp time, so I'm sure he can improve. Hopefully before this Sunday.

He'll be fine, the 2 penalties he's committed were both for blocking his man out of bounds. Can't really fault him for that...one of them was questionable too...imo. His father was a DAMN good DB and led the NFL in INT's several years. I think he'll do just fine.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/812133.html

Hopefully he can hold up in pass coverage and hold his ground against the run. I've seen him take some bad angles out there already and it reminded me of Ko Simpson. I think we're going to miss having Whitner on the field for sure.

To me Byrd has looked alot worse than simpson, he seems afraid to tackle people, doesn't look like that agressive tackling cb i read from draft reports. Is Wendling the next ss in line?

Pretty impressive draft though. Maybin, Wood, Levitre, Nelson & Byrd have all contributed/started, and others wait in the wings. Not sure if they'll all turn out as starters, but we're doing everything to give them reps and build strong depth.

It's not impressive...what it shows me is that we had a a lot of suspect talent on our team to start with, thanks primarily to our shady talent evaluators, and while they know what we had was no good, this represents our latest crop of guesses.

• 2 weeks later...
To me Byrd has looked alot worse than simpson, he seems afraid to tackle people, doesn't look like that agressive tackling cb i read from draft reports. Is Wendling the next ss in line?

You still think that? Looks like he's looking for contact from what i've seen.

I was just re-watching the game. On the pass that Royal dropped early in the 3rd quarter, he apparently noticed at the last minute that Byrd had him lined up.

I wouldn't be surprised if for all practical purposes Byrd will continue to start when everyone is healthy. He's just playing too well to keep off the field.

You still think that? Looks like he's looking for contact from what i've seen.

I agree completely. I was kind of surprised when I clicked on this thread and Byrd was getting compared to the lame Ko Simpson. For a rookie I thought he did very well.

What are people expecations for a kid to jump from being a college DB to NFL free safety, the quarterback of the DB's? I think some of his 16 solo tackles thus far were impressive and so was his pick.

All things considered I thought he and Kyle Williams/Stroud were the bright spots on the defense. Funny how two people can watch the same game and come away with completely different takes.

Great. I can't wait until the first "and now Whitner has been beaten out by Jairus Byrd" post. :wallbash:

They gotta real problem on their hands now. Donte looked very impressive at FS. When he got moved back to SS in that gimicky 4-2-5 against the Saints he was getting destroyed against the run and looked like the old Donte. Another brilliant move by the FO ad out OBD talent evaluators!