Was Josh Reed Down On Infamous 3rd Down?

truth on hold

the catch by Reed that brought up the infamous 4th and less than 1 where DJ barfed all over himself not going for it. but was it even necessary? looked like Reed may not have been down. someone in the media said DJ should have challenged it. at 1st looked like Reed wanted to keep going to as if he thought he hadnt been tackled, and maybe could have gone all the way for a TD

the catch by Reed that brought up the infamous 4th and less than 1 where DJ barfed all over himself not going for it. but was it even necessary? looked like Reed may not have been down. someone in the media said DJ should have challenged it. at 1st looked like Reed wanted to keep going to as if he thought he hadnt been tackled, and maybe could have gone all the way for a TD

From the limited number of replays that I saw, it looked like his shoulder, or elbow was down. Still, would've been a good thing to challenge, as I didn't really see anything definitive. It was weird, because he essentially got rolled UNDER (from what I saw) the defender, but ended up on his feet.

The only think I can figure is his helmet touched the ground but there were no real replays. He certainly didn't look down.

The only think I can figure is his helmet touched the ground but there were no real replays. He certainly didn't look down.

was that call challengeable? and if so where would bills have gotten the ball if they won? may have at least been worth challenging the spot since jacka$$ jauron had already decided not to go for it

was that call challengeable? and if so where would bills have gotten the ball if they won?

I don't think it was because of the infamous "we blew the whistle" thing. That's one of my pet peeves with the NFL. The officials blow the whistle on plays WAY too early. There was one yesterday in a game that would have been a TD (I forget the teams) but it was a turnover and the guy would have housed it only to have the ball returned to the spot of the recovery/interception.

That **** is maddening to me.

was that call challengeable? and if so where would bills have gotten the ball if they won? may have at least been worth challenging the spot since jacka$$ jauron had already decided not to go for it

No. Whistle blew, receiver ruled down by contact. Neither of which is reviewable.

The whistle blew and there would have been a hell of a difficulty trying to figure where to spot the ball. The dilemma didn't present iself because the rules say that when the whistle blows the play is over. Replay would be useless. Me? From where I was, he was NOT down. But it's that whole stupid "the whistle had blown" rule. Just one of those things.

-

Speaking of Reed, he was in true "Beast Mode" ... looked like one guy who really showed up to play. You maybe don't get it that clearly on TV, but the guy is always working as a blocker too. Doesn't take plays off, a real player. I love the guy.

-

Hey, on a day like that, I have to take my bright spots where I can find them...

The whistle blew and there would have been a hell of a difficulty trying to figure where to spot the ball. The dilemma didn't present iself because the rules say that when the whistle blows the play is over. Replay would be useless. Me? From where I was, he was NOT down. But it's that whole stupid "the whistle had blown" rule. Just one of those things.

-

Speaking of Reed, he was in true "Beast Mode" ... looked like one guy who really showed up to play. You maybe don't get it that clearly on TV, but the guy is always working as a blocker too. Doesn't take plays off, a real player. I love the guy.

-

Hey, on a day like that, I have to take my bright spots where I can find them...

Was his forward progress stopped? I didn't see the game.

The spot is reviewable if indeed he was not down. However I think his shoulder was down and the spot was in fact right on.

The call to bnot go for it on 4-1 was horrible as always.

You're right---the play could have been reviewed for the spot. They would have seen that he was not down by contact--only his helmet touched.

The spot is reviewable if indeed he was not down. However I think his shoulder was down and the spot was in fact right on.

The call to bnot go for it on 4-1 was horrible as always.

The spot's reviewable whether he's down or not. The question "was he down?" is not reviewable.

Reed always shows up. He may not be the best WR in the league, he's never going to draw double-coverage downfield...but not every player can be a HOF candidate, and ehe works hard, makes tough catches, blocks well, and generaly doesn't !@#$ up or around. Generally, as a solid and reliable presence on the field, he's an asset.

You shouldn't risk challenging that call because you need your time outs at the end of a close game that you are currently losing. You just need to go for it to try and light a charge under your team and stop playing Russian roulette with the Saints offense. I know, percentages, blah blah blah, but anyone with a feeling for the pulse of the game knew that we needed to go for that.

Don't they determine the spot where he is down?

Actually, they determine the spot of the ball based on where he is when the play is over. Just so happens that that usually happens with the ball carrier going down.

Once the play is over, it's over. You can't review a play to see whether it's really over or not.

Actually, they determine the spot of the ball based on where he is when the play is over. Just so happens that that usually happens with the ball carrier going down.

Once the play is over, it's over. You can't review a play to see whether it's really over or not.

So, for example, if. upon review, they see a player was never down---they are determining the spot to be where they incorrectly whistled him down?