Show Edwards film of Owens and Evans WIDE OPEN downfield

Got_Wood

I've never played football but I have to ask:

Isn't it much easier to see a wide open WR from the stands than it is to see them from behind the line of scrimmage?

:thumbsup:

Sure is...

The problem is Trent is 6'4" and should have no problem at all seeing downfield.

Drew Brees is 5'11 3/4" tall and throws downfield as well as any QB in football today.

Trent's problem is he's smart and conservative...great for the Republican National Convention, not so good for an NFL QB.

Sure is...

The problem is Trent is 6'4" and should have no problem at all seeing downfield.

Drew Brees is 5'11 3/4" tall and throws downfield as well as any QB in football today.

Trent's problem is he's smart and conservative...great for the Republican National Convention, not so good for an NFL QB.

This is the way the team is coached, minimize mistakes and don't turn the ball over. It has been drilled into trents head...

I'm not saying that Edwards doesn't need to go downfield more often but the guy does need more than two seconds to at least figure out where the WR's are.

Sometimes that is without question true. Starting QBs beat the blitz at least a FEW times.

When Trent DOES get 3, 4, 5 seconds he has to make the defense pay!!!!! He doesn't and checks down. I wish I saw something different but that's how it goes.

WHERE ARE THE SLANTS?!?!? Notice I said SLANTS as in plural. Trying ONE yesterday for the first time this season goes to show you how poor our entire offense really is.

A slant requires the QB to fire a laser somewhere in between the hash marks basically. Can't do that with a sling shot...but I forgot. Trent doesn't have a weak arm. He just doesn't make the throws that QBs that don't have weak arms can make.

Of course I could be wrong. His arm could be just fine and he has no guts to make those kinds of plays.

I'm not saying that Edwards doesn't need to go downfield more often but the guy does need more than two seconds to at least figure out where the WR's are. On some of the plays from shotgun yesterday the pass rush got to him as soon as the snap. It would help and Hangartner would stop rolling him the ball.

I think the entire team needs to make him understand that it's ok to throw a pick. He's trying to protect the ball but you need to chuck it deep to get the DB's off the line. It also sets up more stuff underneath if you go long early.

The bad/good news is that you'll all get to see a different QB in this system. The way the line is playing right now there's no way he'll survive the season.

Yo Mike, we could use the intangibles Paulus has shown at SU, that is for sure. Go Orange!

From Evans after the game: “I don’t think the philosophy necessarily has to change, the way that things were going we had plenty of opportunities,” Evans said. “We just didn’t get it done. I feel like we had some opportunities and we just didn’t take advantage of them.”

Couple this with Evans statements in preseason about he and Owens asking for more shots down field, it sounds like a very classy way to say they were open deep and the balls weren't thrown. He didn't say "SOME" opportunities he said "PLENTY"!

Maybe the plan all along is to let Trent bomb. Rebuild the offensive line. End up 3 - 13 and get a really high draft pick to get a real QB. You know, one that has a reason to wear an athletic supporter.

This is the way the team is coached, minimize mistakes and don't turn the ball over. It has been drilled into trents head...

"COME ON MANNNNNNN!"

I don't think that Trent is coached to throw almost all of his passes in the air that are shorter than 10 yards. I don't think that he is coached to hit TEs, RBs, and #3 WRs all day. I'm pretty sure he is coached to go through his reads which usually involves looking at one of your top targets, Evans and Owens, before checking down. All you gotta do is throw the ball.

A slant requires the QB to fire a laser somewhere in between the hash marks basically. Can't do that with a sling shot...but I forgot. Trent doesn't have a weak arm. He just doesn't make the throws that QBs that don't have weak arms can make.

Of course I could be wrong. His arm could be just fine and he has no guts to make those kinds of plays.

I agree 100%

Did anyone see the 40yr Brett Favre throw that laser of a pass yesterday to win the game. Do you honestly believe that Trent could ever make that same type of play. I am not comparing the two QBs, just the play.

Unless you are at the game, you really can't see who is open. The focus of the camera is on the QB, and you can only see back as far as the linebackers. On very few offensive plays can you actually who is open down the field more than 25 yards.

I'm sure they were open, I'm just saying it is hard to tell how much because the camera work generally blows.

Yo Mike, we could use the intangibles Paulus has shown at SU, that is for sure. Go Orange!

It's funny you should mention Paulus. Going into the season I thought this was nothing more than a PR move. 4 years away from the game and holy hell, it turns out the kid can actually play. I can't begin to tell you where Paulus rates skill wise compared to other college QB's. I can tell you this though, the kid is a natural born leader. He has taken control of that team and when he goes into the huddle 10 sets of eyes are focused on him.

It makes me wonder what is a bigger intangible in a QB? Physical attributes are the lesser part of the equation. JP Losman, Vince Young, Jamarcus Russell all have oodles of talent but it's unlikely they'll ever amount to much as NFL QB's. It takes a special kind of person to command an NFL huddle.

I don't know if Paulus will ever make it to the NFL but from what I've seen so far if this kid had 4-5 years of college ball he'd be as highly touted as any college QB. You put him on the Gators as a Freshman and I bet he might just beat out Tebow.

Unless you are at the game, you really can't see who is open. The focus of the camera is on the QB, and you can only see back as far as the linebackers. On very few offensive plays can you actually who is open down the field more than 25 yards.

I'm sure they were open, I'm just saying it is hard to tell how much because the camera work generally blows.

Fair question

Reports from people on this forum in other threads say that either Evans or TO were open on a LOT of the plays. Thurman Thomas also commented on Trent had WR open down field that he didn't see.

"COME ON MANNNNNNN!"

I don't think that Trent is coached to throw almost all of his passes in the air that are shorter than 10 yards. I don't think that he is coached to hit TEs, RBs, and #3 WRs all day. I'm pretty sure he is coached to go through his reads which usually involves looking at one of your top targets, Evans and Owens, before checking down. All you gotta do is throw the ball.

I was on my cell when I typed this, but you are reading it in a way I didn't mean...

This team is coached to play it safe and minimize their mistakes; no way am I saying that trent is coached to throw shorter than 5 yards, but he is coached not to be foolish with the football. As stated in another post on here, it has been 39 games since we had a 300 yard passing day. In some way I see him as the opposite of Losman, JP would take forever to make reads (cause he couldn't) and lock on to one player and hold on to the ball for ages...Trent can read a D, but he goes through his progessions quickly and doesn't let the deep receivers get open. If he see's a WR who is covered, he's on to the next...and he eventually dumps it off because they are the ones who are open or their is an LB on the RB, TE or 3rd or 4th WR...He doesn't look back at the deep WRs after he has passed them in his progression and he won't force the ball, because an INT is a mistake and we are coached to minimize our mistakes...

I was on my cell when I typed this, but you are reading it in a way I didn't mean...

This team is coached to play it safe and minimize their mistakes; no way am I saying that trent is coached to throw shorter than 5 yards, but he is coached not to be foolish with the football. As stated in another post on here, it has been 39 games since we had a 300 yard passing day. In some way I see him as the opposite of Losman, JP would take forever to make reads (cause he couldn't) and lock on to one player and hold on to the ball for ages...Trent can read a D, but he goes through his progessions quickly and doesn't let the deep receivers get open. If he see's a WR who is covered, he's on to the next...and he eventually dumps it off because they are the ones who are open or their is an LB on the RB, TE or 3rd or 4th WR...He doesn't look back at the deep WRs after he has passed them in his progression and he won't force the ball, because an INT is a mistake and we are coached to minimize our mistakes...

Ah. I think I get your point on that. He will take an obligatory look down field but in the end he just throws short. The coaches aren't telling him to throw short but his interpretation of their desire to not make mistakes is to not take risk and check down.

Ah. I think I get your point on that. He will take an obligatory look down field but in the end he just throws short. The coaches aren't telling him to throw short but his interpretation of their desire to not make mistakes is to not take risk and check down.

I think in some ways he has been overcoached...

As he goes through his reads, he goes from one receiver to the next looking to see who is "open" or who has the mismatch.. He goes through his progressions quick too, Lee has a second, TO has 2 seconds (lee's second + his), Reed is 3 seconds and so on. Which is technically the right approach, but I think Trent has lost his feel for the game and is too robotic, if you will. Our top 2 WRs don't have the time at their point in his progressions to get open and Trent doesn't go back to them. If your not open or in the mis-matched coverage, you ain't getting the ball. Trent just goes through the prgressions. JK for instance would know when they were lining up who he wanted to throw to, he would look the safety off and hit the guy he wanted; when has Trent ever looked a safety off? This is the fundamental difference between dictating 'your will' to a defence or taking what the defence gives you. Do you really think a defence in the NFL will give you enough to beat it?

I've watched Evans and Owens run down field and get open TIME after TIME. Talk to anyone else who has been at games and they will tell you that these guys are getting open and Edwards does not see them. Edwards continuously opts for the shorter routes underneath to Reed, Jackson, Schouman (now gone for year), and Fine. I have serious doubts that Edwards can ACTUALLY SEE DOWN FIELD. Either he has terrible vision or he isn't a playmaker.

He isn't hitting Owens when he needs to. For example: instead of hitting Owens on his out pattern when he came out of his break, he threw it late and too far outside for TO to make a play out of it. He needs to throw immediately when Owens makes the cut.

Evans routes where he caught it were all short routes. Nothing to stretch the field. Once again, no seams, fades, posts, post corners, etc. Fastest guy on the field and no looks deep.

My challenge to the coaches: ram it down Edwards throat. Show him film of Evans and Owens open. Come game time force him to throw those intermediate and deep routes 15-20 times against Miami. I don't care if he throws 6 interceptions. He has to prove that he can see these MILLION DOLLAR RECEIVERS down field. If he can't, he's not an NFL QB.

He is just not very good. I am not sure what veteerans will be available next season, but I think this team would be attractive to a good QB. Above average backs and receivers, and a young, developing line (that sucks right now, but I think they mainly need experience). Trent has experience now, he just isn't cutting it.