Pondering About The Game and season

Steely Dan

Moral victories count thismuch in a NFL game. So the veryslight good news from the game and some of this season are:

The Bills defense is the first one to hold the Saints number one offense under 45 points so far this season.

In his first two games of the season Brees had 358 and 311 yards passing for an average of 10.5 and 9.1 yards per pass. He threw 6 TD's in the first week and three in the second week. He had QB ratings of 137.0 and 118.6.

The Bills held Brees to 172 yards passing for an average of 5.9 yards per pass. He didn't throw a single TD against Buffalo and his QB rating for the game was 72.8.

The Bills were still in it before half time.

FJ proved that he is going to give AVP the problem of figuring out who will get the most touches after ML comes back.

TO didn't blow up on the sidelines.

Ryan Denney and Chris Kelsay proved the Bills were smart to keep them on the roster. Denny caught a TD pass and Kelsay was a monster with 6 solo tackles, 2 assists and a sack.

Schobel added a sack also. (BTW, for all of the Schobel detractors he has 6 tackles, 2 sacks, one forced fumble and an interception returned for a 26 yard TD so far for the year. He is currently tied for sixth place with 23 other players for sacks. He is one of three D Line players this years to have an int. and the only one to return it for a TD. He is tied for 1st in the number of passes defensed by a DL. The low number of tackles is due to, IMO, teams staying away from him.)

Josh Reed proved he is one of the better slot receivers in the league.

DJ seemed less conservative today in play calling.

AVP is a much better play caller than TS.

The D is almost a solid unit.

The bad:

They're the not ready for primetime players. They have a lot to do before they can start playing with big boys.

The Saints had 133 yards and 157 yards rushing in their first two games. The Bills let them have 222 yards on the ground.

The Bills have 90 yards and 218 yards rushing in the first two games.Today the Bills had 89 yards against the 6th ranked D in run stopping and 90 against the Pets who rank 10th. The 218 yards were put up against the second worst run D. They need to improve in that area against the better teams or they wont do much.

Run and stop the run. 'Nuff said

The O line is a work in progress but not completely abysmal.

The Ugly

TE had a 114. 1 QB rating against the Pets and a 97. 5 against TB. Today he had a 56.4. His average yards per pass were 8.5 and 7.4 Today he had a 4.5 average. In his first two games he threw for 212 yards and 230. Today he threw for 156.0.

He was sacked 4 times in the first game and twice in the second. Today he was sacked 4 more times by a team who only had two after the first two games. (BTW, the Pets* have six total sacks too. Obviously 4 of those were against Buffalo.)

Trent's long balls were extremely inaccurate. He was lucky he had only one pick. He couldn't have hit the barn side of a broad today.

TO dropped another pass that he should have caught. The other balls thrown his way weren't TO's fault.

Maybin hasn't been inactive so far this year but he might as well have been. He has one tackle over three games.

Chris Ellis hasn't been injured according to injury reports yet he's been inactive for every game this year. I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure his inactivity is just due to his sucking. JMO

Well that's all my tired, tiny mind can come up with so far. I'm gonna go to bed. <_<

Pretty much agree Steely. We could probably add DJ's forth quarter coaching to the ugly list. What's up with Hangartner snapping about a dozen balls at Edwards feet? Perhaps his injury is worse than what we were told?

I agree with you. Those snaps were mystifying and should have been part of the ugly. The Bills are mighty thin at center. Their depth chart doesn't even list a center behind Hangartner. <_< That might have a lot to do with it. They don't have a lot of choice. I guess the emergency center plan is to move Wood to center.

Great points Steely. I have a question for you and the other posters. Do you all think it's time for the Bills to scrap the no-huddle? In all honesty, I would've NEVER thought our defense would have held Brees in check for the entire game the way they did. Not only that, but they also did the same to Brady for 3 and a half quarters.

My humble opinion is that if our offense had put just a couple clock eating drives together to give them just a little more rest, they would've been able to get some more stops late in the game.

This no huddle does not seem to be doing anything for us....thoughts?

....Maybin hasn't been inactive so far this year but he might as well have been. He has one tackle over three games.

Chris Ellis hasn't been injured according to injury reports yet he's been inactive for every game this year. I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure his inactivity is just due to his sucking. JMO...

The offense wasn't even worth replying about, so I will stick to your points above about Maybin & Ellis. It is amazing to me how DJ will throw out the youngest least experienced OL to start the regular season since the 2000 Giants line, and yet is so damn stubborn about keeping Kelsay and Denny in the rotation on the DL. Now it was shocking and amazing to finally see Kelsay play a pretty damn good game for him yesterday, and I will give him his profs for that. But DJ and/or Fewell will not let the younger kids play very much - like Maybin and Ellis. You don't notice them because they don't play all that much.

Ellis made the team, and he made the 53 man roster. There is no reason he can't take some rotation away from Denny. And Fewell should be playing Maybin all over the D-Line so much he should be sucking in oxygen between series. But Fewell knows better right? And DJ knows better, right?

Besides, after the fake field goal TD's for Denny the last two seasons, the Bills should convert him to TE, and let Maybin play every down while Kelsay is the third man in.

Pretty much agree Steely. We could probably add DJ's forth quarter coaching to the ugly list. What's up with Hangartner snapping about a dozen balls at Edwards feet? Perhaps his injury is worse than what we were told?

This team is about the same as last years squad, more talent, but very young. probably 2-6 or best case 3-5 at the bye week. Miami will get 200+ on the ground but we dont have p manning. Loss. Cleveland. Win? I guess . Jets away? Loss, loss, no question there. at Carolina? not sure, probably Loss. they run the ball too well. thank goodness we are not facing any brandon jacobs types this year. that would be ugly. we can't stop pierre thomas

some NFL O coordinator is going to inherit a pretty good team next year as bills HC at two bills drive.

The defense kept the Bills in the game for the first 50 minutes. With the ineptitude of the offense and the amount of time the defense was on the field, I can't fault them for wilting late in the game. The no huddle might have to be scrapped, and only used occasionally because it's not doing the team any favors.

As for the snaps, I can only imagine that Hangartner's back tightened-up on him during the game. Not that good snaps would have changed anything.

And it's time to bench Trent.

Great points Steely. I have a question for you and the other posters. Do you all think it's time for the Bills to scrap the no-huddle? In all honesty, I would've NEVER thought our defense would have held Brees in check for the entire game the way they did. Not only that, but they also did the same to Brady for 3 and a half quarters.

My humble opinion is that if our offense had put just a couple clock eating drives together to give them just a little more rest, they would've been able to get some more stops late in the game.

huddling gives the D time to scheme and change personnel and therefore confuse the newby O lineman. TE gets killed in this scenario. they are covering the inexperience of the line by playing faster... i like the no huddle. Half of the O lineman have no business starting in the nfl right now and they are covering this weakness by limiting defensive substitutions and exotic blitz schemes... this will be a good appoach this year... next year you will get your wish because the entire staff will be new and the o line will no longer be rookies....

I'm not so sure they should scrap the no-huddle right now. They need to use it more judiciously.

BTW, one thing I forgot to mention under the ugly was Parrish's fumble on the return. After the Pets* game protecting the ball should be stamped into these guys noggins.

you could have named the post the good the bad and the ugly.

I basically named it the slightly good, the bad and the ugly.

This team is about the same as last years squad, more talent, but very young. probably 2-6 or best case 3-5 at the bye week. Miami will get 200+ on the ground but we dont have p manning. Loss. Cleveland. Win? I guess . Jets away? Loss, loss, no question there. at Carolina? not sure, probably Loss. they run the ball too well. thank goodness we are not facing any brandon jacobs types this year. that would be ugly. we can't stop pierre thomas

some NFL O coordinator is going to inherit a pretty good team next year as bills HC at two bills drive.

This team is young excuse is no longer valid, IMO. They have enough experience to be a lot better than they are.

I think AVP may survive the bloodletting at the end of the season.

The defense kept the Bills in the game for the first 50 minutes. With the ineptitude of the offense and the amount of time the defense was on the field, I can't fault them for wilting late in the game. The no huddle might have to be scrapped, and only used occasionally because it's not doing the team any favors.

As for the snaps, I can only imagine that Hangartner's back tightened-up on him during the game. Not that good snaps would have changed anything.

And it's time to bench Trent.

Not in the slightest. They have to let him go through the growing pains.

I hope to God the Bills are able to hire somebody like Rex Ryan. I think he's the best rookie coach and is one of the best HCs in the league. I love his we're not gonna fear anyone attitude it has really rubbed off on his players. :devil: I wonder if his brother would be just as good?

If Ralph wants a SB win he's going to have to cough up the money to get Bill Cowher, JMO.

Once again, Fewell spins silk from sow's ears on the defense. If you ask me, he's the only coach on the staff doing a remotely average job.

Agreed ... and he is playing with a flawed scheme ... Every D player should have been able to slug every O player in the head after yesterday. I can hardly think of a more pathetic performance by an offense.

TO didn't blow up on the sidelines.

Disagree about this being a good thing.

TO is a player that wears his emotions on his sleaves, he needs to blow up and I can't wait until he does. This team is full of players that do nothing but spin the company line, they need someone to get in their faces when they screw up.

TO is a player that wears his emotions on his sleaves, he needs to blow up and I can't wait until he does. This team is full of players that do nothing but spin the company line, they need someone to get in their faces when they screw up.

TOTALLY AGREE!! Blow the "F" up T.O., don't let Dick turn you into an emotionless bum like the rest of the Bills.

We've been this way for over 3 years now!! 7-9 and no emotion....time to ROCK THE BOAT!! What do we have to lose???

TO let Trent know he missed seeing him wide-open on one play. I was glad he got in his face. Didn't do any good though.